• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Good SP Half-Life mods

Gunfan9x19

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2006
USA
Seeing as how I just bought HL for the Paranoia mod, are there any other good single player mods for the original HL that I should be aware of?

Also, while I have your attention, does anybody still play the original DoD? Because it's on Steam, and I've heard that it was good before DOD:S (which I thought was essentially CS with WWII skins and weapons...and I HATE CS...). Is it worth buying?

I used to know a lot of them 2 years ago, Azure Sheep is a BLue Shift in the sense that you play as another Barney. Sweet Halflife is like Halflife with a bit of anime mixed in. Poke646 is very good, but seemed short. USS Darkstar was made by the same guy who made Poke646, but is shorter and based off a spaceship. They Hunger was so great, they're supposably making a console for some game system, think it was title They Hunger: Cult of the D___ed. Todesangst was a great one with new weapons, but still took place mostly on Black Mesa, and other parts of the world, even had some comedy. Finally, if you just like gore, you could try Scientist Slaughterhouse, but I think it works only with the non-steam version of Halflife. Thats mod is pretty much meant for the evil kid in all of us.

Upvote 0
I wish I had the stomach for scary games and the like. They seem to be very good but I just can't make much progress due to intensive paranoia.

I know how you feel, I just about **** myself in the first two levels of F.E.A.R. Needless to say I never finished that game...

Oh and if you have HL2 check out Rock 24, it's pretty fun, and I'm pretty sure that it was only made by two guys, though I can't recall.

Upvote 0
Ahh yes, how could i forget They hunger and Todesangst, great mods the both of them!

USS darkstar was also good, it was something different from the usual HL mods, Poke646 however never really impressed me, it was well made, but it was just so short i felt it was a bit of a letdown when i finished it.

Some of thease mods could really do with some high-def model packs though, i wonder if there are any i have missed..

Upvote 0
I know how you feel, I just about **** myself in the first two levels of F.E.A.R. Needless to say I never finished that game...

Oh and if you have HL2 check out Rock 24, it's pretty fun, and I'm pretty sure that it was only made by two guys, though I can't recall.

Really?
I yawned at FEAR and Doom 3 alike, only FEAR's action sequences were good.
Whenever Alma showed up or something else happened, i'm like, oh. ok. hi there. cu. now where are the damn clone killers?:D

Upvote 0
They hunger was bollocks, about the time the shooting cop zombies that took 1.36 million rounds to kill appeared I tossed it away.

So? change it, tweak your "Skill.cfg", the health of all the enemies is right there in easy to understand variables, its easy.

You can do that with all HL1 SP mods, even stock HL1, you can tweak how much damage you do, how much each enemy does, and how much health they have for each skill setting, all it takes is a working copy of t3h notepad!

Gunplay was allways bad in HL, enemies where allways bullet sponges, and for thouse of us who likes more tactical gameplay that is a turnoff, but when its this easy to tweak, there's no reason not to, and HL1 really is one of the very few games that has some good SP mods, so grab thy trusty notepad and go to town on thy Skill.cfg files! i command it! and stuff..

I explain it in more detail on page 2 or 3 in the Paranoia mod thread for thouse interested.

Upvote 0
So? change it, tweak your "Skill.cfg", the health of all the enemies is right there in easy to understand variables, its easy.

You can do that with all HL1 SP mods, even stock HL1, you can tweak how much damage you do, how much each enemy does, and how much health they have for each skill setting, all it takes is a working copy of t3h notepad!

Gunplay was allways bad in HL, enemies where allways bullet sponges, and for thouse of us who likes more tactical gameplay that is a turnoff, but when its this easy to tweak, there's no reason not to, and HL1 really is one of the very few games that has some good SP mods, so grab thy trusty notepad and go to town on thy Skill.cfg files! i command it! and stuff..

I explain it in more detail on page 2 or 3 in the Paranoia mod thread for thouse interested.
I know what skill.cfg is Grobut.

However, I also didn't like They Hunger for other reasons. Like I found the map design ****ty, exceptionally so. There were some dark areas with really bad texture choice, like textures your flashlight couldn't light up properly which literally forced you to up your gamma (which I hate doing in dark games). Also the voices on the zombies, oh my they were terrible. Given that I'm not a fan of talking zombies I am against it for a start but, even then they were that damn cheesy, lol. Even to the point of being ridiculous, like headless zombies saying stuff **slaps forehead** I just did not enjoy it.

I did though enjoy Dark Star which was by the same guy, so he isn't a total tool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0