• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Glossiness Channel

Skaveria

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 11, 2015
Does anyone know how to add glossiness to a material in the KF2 SDK. I have tried connecting the texture node to the specular_intensity in the material editor however this is not getting the desired effect.

I have created the textures using the latest Substance Designer. I am using Physically_Based_Specular_Glossiness as my shader. Would the Blinn Shader more accurately depict what the engine will render it as?

Are you creating a new material or using a material instance of the master weapon material? If you look at the latter you'll see they use custom lighting and a rather involved (I suppose) material. Look at the textures for the SCAR for example and how they work in the master material. It seems they've packed AO and glossiness into the blue/green (I forget which is which) channels of the 'variation' map. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Nah, just find what the master material for generic stuff is and open that, find out how it works, and then use a MIC of that.

Oh and Substance designer, if like Painter, will use a GGX BRDF so it probably won't be matching KF2, unless they've made all their materials with GGX. I'd assume blinn-phong is going to be closer, but it should be obvious once you import stuff in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0