• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Glass Mover Quantity Problem

gunslingor

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
So I used the KFglassmover from offices map, but I used it to make an exploding chair that breaks when zeds hit it or people shot it... it works in solo and multi.... then I made 10... still works.... 50.... then about 100... now it only works in solo. In multi on my server I can join the game and the chairs are all there working as they are supposed to but then... you ghost, you can fly thru walls and ****... I can hear the zeds attacking me where I started, but I can't see them nor me... I'm just a flying wall traveling thru camera.

Any ideas? the chairs are in a different zone than the player start. Is there a way to exclude them from rendering in the zone where the player start is? I can't recall how its been so long. THanks,

EDIT: I moved all the player starts further than the culling distance of all the chairs... it still ghosts. wtf!

EDIT: correction... each chair is 4-6 pieces, arms, legs, seat, etc... total number of arms, legs, etc is 2300..... is that too much? all together its probably only 20K poly. any help?

Last edited:
Problem is not because of rendering, it is that KFGlassMover takes up one network channel in order to tell client whenever it is broken. Engine has a hardcoded limit of 1023 network channels (infact every gameplay relevant actor takes one network channel: weapons, players, monsters etc).
So if you have ~2300 chair parts that means you go way beyond the limit thus making everything else invisible.
You need to spare at least ~200 network channels for proper network gameplay (or even more for large player base server).
So start reducing the amount of chairs until you only have ~500 parts of them around level.

Upvote 0
Thank you, sincerely. Is there a way to tell how many channels I have total? I mean, I have a lot of other active content... I guess I can make the chairs one solid piece, that'll cut the total number of needed kfglassmovers down by 3/4--> 575... plus the needed 200... plus who knows... alright, I'll give it a shot.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1996 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (9616)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- UObject::GetFullName <- DispatchDestroy <- DispatchDestroys <- UObject::purgeGarbage <- UObject::StaticExit <- appPreExit <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
Wanted to say thanks... I've been having rhis problem for ages... just tonight figured out it was a quantity issue... thought I'd never know why though... sincerely, your a life saver. I replaced the 6 pieces with one piece and it works flawlessly. Not as cool but at least it works! Anyway to tell how many channels I have left?

Upvote 0
I figured it out, "stat net" is the command. Looks like the most amount of channels I had open was around 650, and around 607 was the lowest, before the game began... so I guess most of that is the chairs. I think this'll leave me with enough room to make the exploding glass bottles i wanted, a few sound triggers, and a few other things. Thank you@!!!!!

EDIT: FYI, I dropped the 2300 KF moves down to 528

Last edited:
Upvote 0