• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Glass Mover Quantity Problem

gunslingor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 11, 2011
So I used the KFglassmover from offices map, but I used it to make an exploding chair that breaks when zeds hit it or people shot it... it works in solo and multi.... then I made 10... still works.... 50.... then about 100... now it only works in solo. In multi on my server I can join the game and the chairs are all there working as they are supposed to but then... you ghost, you can fly thru walls and ****... I can hear the zeds attacking me where I started, but I can't see them nor me... I'm just a flying wall traveling thru camera.

Any ideas? the chairs are in a different zone than the player start. Is there a way to exclude them from rendering in the zone where the player start is? I can't recall how its been so long. THanks,

EDIT: I moved all the player starts further than the culling distance of all the chairs... it still ghosts. wtf!

EDIT: correction... each chair is 4-6 pieces, arms, legs, seat, etc... total number of arms, legs, etc is 2300..... is that too much? all together its probably only 20K poly. any help?

Last edited:

Marco

May 23, 2009
Finland
Problem is not because of rendering, it is that KFGlassMover takes up one network channel in order to tell client whenever it is broken. Engine has a hardcoded limit of 1023 network channels (infact every gameplay relevant actor takes one network channel: weapons, players, monsters etc).
So if you have ~2300 chair parts that means you go way beyond the limit thus making everything else invisible.
You need to spare at least ~200 network channels for proper network gameplay (or even more for large player base server).
So start reducing the amount of chairs until you only have ~500 parts of them around level.

gunslingor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 11, 2011
Thank you, sincerely. Is there a way to tell how many channels I have total? I mean, I have a lot of other active content... I guess I can make the chairs one solid piece, that'll cut the total number of needed kfglassmovers down by 3/4--> 575... plus the needed 200... plus who knows... alright, I'll give it a shot.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1996 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (9616)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- UObject::GetFullName <- DispatchDestroy <- DispatchDestroys <- UObject::purgeGarbage <- UObject::StaticExit <- appPreExit <- FMallocWindows::Free

gunslingor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 11, 2011
Wanted to say thanks... I've been having rhis problem for ages... just tonight figured out it was a quantity issue... thought I'd never know why though... sincerely, your a life saver. I replaced the 6 pieces with one piece and it works flawlessly. Not as cool but at least it works! Anyway to tell how many channels I have left?

gunslingor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 11, 2011
I figured it out, "stat net" is the command. Looks like the most amount of channels I had open was around 650, and around 607 was the lowest, before the game began... so I guess most of that is the chairs. I think this'll leave me with enough room to make the exploding glass bottles i wanted, a few sound triggers, and a few other things. Thank you@!!!!!

EDIT: FYI, I dropped the 2300 KF moves down to 528

Last edited: