• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting a little bored

REZ said:
It's the people.

I know in making that statement there will be some offended people.

When I log in now, I can find maybe 2 veterans at a time on a server.

I'm not trying to slam new players at all, dont take it that way, I'm not the all knowing RO player, but I am holding hope for a time where the majority of players have a better understanding of how this game is to be approached.

This is not a close-quarters deathmatch or a long distance tank plinking game. There are objectives involved, and you cannot achieve those objectives without the cooperation of your entire team.

Im one of the guys quick to defend the new guys (and Im new, surprise, ey?) but the way you put it I cant do anything than agree.
Unfortunately the trick here is HOLDING out. Or the game will forever be like it is now.
So if you are just venting, I for one has no problem with that, but if you pull out because you are bored now, you actually partake in making the game excactly what you dont want it to be.

I for one really hopes the veterans stick it out, even if its troublesome for a while.
I would suggest you get a Xfire ring going so you can pack a server with veterans once a week and get a good game to clense out the frustration.

Upvote 0
then how do we bring the DM player to the light side?

It's just one of those things thats going to take time...

...time and constant coaching (in a polite way ;)) from us vets, if we want the pub scene to take that much needed step up.

Like everyone else, I only have so much patience... when absolutely no one is listening, and its rather apparent that the other people on the server are only interested in deathmatch... I leave and try to find a more receptive/cooperative crowd.

Patience, and a little effort from the vets, over a period of time, might be what is needed. We can lobby all we want for fancy new maps, but if the people you are playing with cant be bothered to work together... the magic wont return.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
BTW, many of us got tired of the small, "quick", urban maps ala CoD/CoD2. B O R I N G. put some of those in, and you'll do some nice damage to the player base. it's like wow, who can point and click their mouse faster? that's tons of fun. :rolleyes:
Unlike COD2, RO can have both large and small which won't damage the player base because once there are enough maps out there to satisfy every gamers preference/style you'll get people playing RO for just the infantry or just the tank/Combined arms maps. Myself I love it all infantry & tank, but some guys just like one or the other. The realism of RO makes CQB maps a much more interesting and tactical experience unlike COD2.

Upvote 0
the trick here is HOLDING out. Or the game will forever be like it is now

I agree, and believe me... RO is far from losing this vet.

I have no problem giving impromptu lessons, or endlessly droning on in the VOIP, just in case someone on my team didnt hear the first ten times that they need to be in the capzone... no problem at all, especially if I'm getting responses from my team... it's good fun, and hopefully some of the new people will get a better idea of whats going on.

I just came into this thread with my opinion because I feel the same thing the others (mostly vets) have been posting here... and I personally dont think it's the maps that are the problem. Sure we would like to see some of the old favorite maps, but even they wont bring back the old excitement we used to feel. It's the players that make the game.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with some of the mods maps being more fun. Koitos was simply the best melee map ever of every game even though it was custom. Currently all the maps do not have something special. Some of the mods maps had it. When i think of the mod i think koitos and bayonets. Now i think of roost its rushing towards an objective before arty gets there. Ogledow is perhaps the best roost map because it doesnt have any of that kind of things. I however do agree with that objectives should be of tactical importance. That is somewhat lacking in most maps. When someone caps a certain building they must get a real edge right away if properly held. They should have good positions to shoot at the attackers and such. Ogledow has that on the hill and farm. I do also think that there should have been more totally new maps. Kauk is still fun but most of the older maps just feel kind of boring because ive played them in the mod aswell. I just have 1 advice for the devs map wise. That is make more maps and refine the current maps like ogledow. Koningsplatz gives the defenders no real edge most of the time that really should change.

Ofcourse the average player was much more skilled and thus it was much more exciting but even in the clan matches it all feels nice but not something that could make me excited. In the mod i could get an adrenaline rush for making lots of kills in a short time.(which actually ruined my aim) With roost its all simply too easy. Perhaps this is the biggest reason why roost is less fun. There is no way to "fix" this because that would mean making people not buy roost.

Just what i think

Upvote 0
yeah I remember one of the last times I ever played the Mod I had an SVT an attached bayo on Krasyni. I got in on a bayo spree of 8 kills it was mad. Now I usually don't bother to even attach my bayo, I feel like I'm jousing everytime I use it.

I agree about becoming bored with the game, HOWEVER bfe is a total blast, even better than in the Mod days. And really I only play on Saturday afternoons when the scrims/matches are on so it's not a problem for me. But on public servers I usually leave after 2 maps, and I like tanks, CA, infantry. I agree with Tomcat, being one of the better players from RO:CA now I'm automatically in the top or second highest scores of both teams. It's just way to easy to kill, it makes every thing less satisfying.

Upvote 0
Dheepan said:
yeah I remember one of the last times I ever played the Mod I had an SVT an attached bayo on Krasyni. I got in on a bayo spree of 8 kills it was mad. Now I usually don't bother to even attach my bayo, I feel like I'm jousing everytime I use it.

I agree about becoming bored with the game, HOWEVER bfe is a total blast, even better than in the Mod days. And really I only play on Saturday afternoons when the scrims/matches are on so it's not a problem for me. But on public servers I usually leave after 2 maps, and I like tanks, CA, infantry. I agree with Tomcat, being one of the better players from RO:CA now I'm automatically in the top or second highest scores of both teams. It's just way to easy to kill, it makes every thing less satisfying.

The only solution for that is restricting yourself like melee only or only hipshooting.

Upvote 0
Jet Black said:
Rather than complain about the noobs, if you are a RO veteran, maybe try to be more of a leader.

When us vets speak, the noobs ignore. Just last night on KonigsPlatz i was on axis team and the russians were in the process of trying to cap the Siegessaule and i was telling my teammates to stay put and defend and not go out and attack since you know the axis reinforcements run out so fast on that map. a bfe kameraden and i were telling our teammates to get down and defend but was ignored and our damn stupid ass teammates kept on going out blindly getting mowed down only further wasting away our reinforcements.
I am patient with the noobs and don't get all pissed off when tked by one but every now and then you just have to say something because as of right now the mast majority of the ppl playing the game really don't understand the concept of how to play the game correctly.

Upvote 0
Tomcat_ha said:
The worst thing however is when you need to cap a objective and everyone is like oh oh i need to get a good spot so i can shoot and kill. Thus only 6 out of 16 actually try to cap.

I know exactly what you mean. Pretty much the same thing when trying to defend an objective. Most ppl go far off somewhere to find a good spot to camp at while the few others actually get in the cap zone to defend.

Upvote 0
Even though I'm semi-new to RO (I played the mod in the past, it couldn't keep me interested though because of the small playerbase) I allready have thoughts about how some people play. I see:

-people playing too defensive while they are on the attacking team.
-people playing for their personal score and bypassing the objectives just to kill the enemy.
-people not being able to communicate at all and even ask to shut up on the voice comms. Sometimes people don't even listen to hints about enemy positions, arty positions etc.
-people who don't have a clue what to do at all. Which objectives to take etc. Can't find their maps or sumthing...
-people that don't understand that reinforcements run out and try to storm a position all by themselves, not waiting for the actual reinforcements.

I know this game is a lot harder then all or most of the other shooters around and that people can have a hard time grasping the concepts of play.
One of the major flaws (if you can call it that) is the scoring in the game.
People tend to care more about killing enemies for their personal score then winning the map. Only a select few people actually want to win the game.
Some changes in the scoring department would help very much to create an even more immersive kind of game.
For instance an infantry vs infantry kill should have an insignificant vallue. So should a tank vs tank kill (on tankmaps). There is nothing special about those kills.
Infantry killing a tank/vehicle should give a much higher score.
People should be kindly forced to focus on capturing and holding an objective. Or even destroying the objective like on Rakowice (the 88's and ammodump) and making those objectives permanently capped.
Therefore the score for capturing and (when appropriate) destroying the objective should outscore a kill or should have a seperate field in the scorelist.

On to the problem of the maps.
Some maps are to linear and predictable, others are too open and are never ending.
One way to prevent both kinds of maps is to have features like on Rakowice where you have to capture AND destroy an objective to hold it (although it would be better if the 88's and ammodump could only be destroyed if the objective is capped. This would be better for gameplay and is by no means realistic though).
On some maps it is a mystery why some of the objectives can't be re-capped. Like the appartments on Odessa.
Some people don't know this and try it anyway. These players should have been in some exciting firefight instead of an empty piece of the map.
Senseless outflanking (Odessa as an example) happens as well because of this. Germans overlooking spawnpoints without an actuall use to be there. Only to spawncamp...
Making sure people know that some objectives can't be re-taken would help. An example of how to do this is to remove the symbol from the map which displays who owns the objective or making objectives that CAN be taken more obvious.

2 <yourcurrencyhere>...

Upvote 0
Once we get a solid playerbase, most people will eventually learn to play it. Yes, most people lack any sort of tactical sense, I often find myself capturing an area all by myself while my teammates are trying to snipe me from the other side of the map. However, after a while people will learn that offensive maps are not won by sitting at the own flag trying to kill the supposed enemies that are actually the few teammates trying to cap it :p

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
...-people playing for their personal score and bypassing the objectives just to kill the enemy.

I know this game is a lot harder then all or most of the other shooters around and that people can have a hard time grasping the concepts of play.
One of the major flaws (if you can call it that) is the scoring in the game.
People tend to care more about killing enemies for their personal score then winning the map. Only a select few people actually want to win the game.
Some changes in the scoring department would help very much to create an even more immersive kind of game.
For instance an infantry vs infantry kill should have an insignificant vallue. So should a tank vs tank kill (on tankmaps). There is nothing special about those kills.
Infantry killing a tank/vehicle should give a much higher score.
People should be kindly forced to focus on capturing and holding an objective. Or even destroying the objective like on Rakowice (the 88's and ammodump) and making those objectives permanently capped.
Therefore the score for capturing and (when appropriate) destroying the objective should outscore a kill or should have a seperate field in the scorelist. ...

At the moment you get 1 point for a kill, 3 for killing an officer, and 10 points for capturing an objective which also includes blowing up the ammo in the bunker and the Flak 88 guns on Rakowice. I don't see how people can play for their personal score without going for objectives. All they have to do is capture one point and they've just done the same thing as killing 10 enemies. If that isn't an incentive to capture points then I don't know what is. :confused:

I personally go for capture points all the time when I'm playing for score and I almost always get on the top of the list. The funny part is when people start caling me a "point whore". What am I supposed to do? Not go for the objectives? Come on. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
At the moment you get 1 point for a kill, 3 for killing an officer, and 10 points for capturing an objective which also includes blowing up the ammo in the bunker and the Flak 88 guns on Rakowice. I don't see how people can play for their personal score without going for objectives. All they have to do is capture one point and they've just done the same thing as killing 10 enemies. If that isn't an incentive to capture points then I don't know what is. :confused:

I personally go for capture points all the time when I'm playing for score and I almost always get on the top of the list. The funny part is when people start caling me a "point whore". What am I supposed to do? Not go for the objectives? Come on. :rolleyes:

Capturing an objective would never fall under "point whoring" to me.
Maybe it would be enough to make people more aware of the 10 points you get for capping ;)

Upvote 0