• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Get the details level back

If the game was being made just for you and me and all those who can run the game without the changes, I'd agree. However, there is an undeniable faction who is having problems, and is quite vocal about it. The end goal is a playable game for as many as possible, and the quickest way to that goal is modifying the maps, which is a relatively straight-forward solution with a higher chance of success.

I don't know what sort of resources Tripwire has, being a smaller studio, but truly solving the underlying problem may require resources that make it impractical in the short term, especially if it's an issue with the render engine itself, which seems highly likely.

I've supported the game up to this point, heck I bought it and had 0 issues outside of the in game connection system (using steam as a workaround). But lowering my graphic settings because others are having issues is not acceptable to me or others on this forum. They need to make this an option for players to check on or off, if someone's complaining about bad performance and they have this on, it's theie own fault. I'm sure graphics options are included in log files, not hard to tell what options someone is running through logs.

This change has crossed the line and I want my bricks back or my money back! This is the brick that broke the camels back sort of speak. :mad:

Upvote 0
I've supported the game up to this point, heck I bought it and had 0 issues outside of the in game connection system (using steam as a workaround). But lowering my graphic settings because others are having issues is not acceptable to me or others on this forum. They need to make this an option for players to check on or off, if someone's complaining about bad performance and they have this on, it's theie own fault. I'm sure graphics options are included in log files, not hard to tell what options someone is running through logs.

This change has crossed the line and I want my bricks back or my money back! This is the brick that broke the camels back sort of speak. :mad:

Quiting the game for a few bricks is just insane, the game is awesome it's just sad to have the graphics lowered because of some people whining about performance..

Tripwire tell me you will get the bricks back

Reactions: dsi1
Upvote 0
Now RO2 Looks cheap! I mena whats the point? make this brick an option, without it it looks just like photoshoped ro1. Run this game just fine, and know i don't even want to play it.
What's the point of making a good graphics, and instead of optimizing it just lowering it for ALLL because only ~25% lags of it.
Why just don't use Unreal 2.5 like in ro or KF? Almost every one should be able to ran that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So i figured i'd weigh in on this.. I placed a ton of those bricks and i'm very close to them. When in beta we realized Pavlov's needed some love, so i went crazy optimizing it. Over all you shouldn't even be able to tell the difference from 3 days before release to release except for the bricks. Days of placing every clump of bricks to perfectly align with the terrain the back aches, the eye strain..there is a lot of love there and possibly some floaters :p. It was the last map we worked on so we had already committed to a visual style of bricks everywhere but when the call came in to optimize everyone pointed to the bricks. It's not poly's that make the bricks expensive its the draw calls..(the bricks are in groups of 10 so each clump eats up cpu and forces your gpu to wait for it) in some places in the map the draw calls could get crazy out of control where your trying to render 4,000 plus objects because the map is so open and all the buildings are open and every window is open and you can see everything inside..(this is why most games don't detail so much on giant maps) So my department started getting aggressive with cull distances(the distance at which an object is no longer rendered) and like i said the goal was to make it unnoticeable. Then as i was culling like a mad man everyone kept asking me if i ditched the elephant in the map.. those damn dirty bricks and i said no.. then they asked again and again until the decision was made...select all... delete...nooooooooo.. but fear not, every map update will not delete anything. I'm hoping that we can make the game look better in time not worse. as performance levels out and we polish up the bugs if I can help it the bricks will be back.. (for ultra only of course,I saved them don't worry)

so please guys enjoy the game, we don't want to loose detail either the environment team has been optimizing all maps again and we're the ones that really don't want to see things get deleted. i'm actually glad so many of you appreciate what we did enough to make and/or answer this thread. so for that I'm really going to try and resurrect Pavlov's ultra only bricks when we go and do another optimize pass on that map. And if we can't get it running better they might have to wait a bit.:)

Thanks for noticing the bricks.

in support section ;)

Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
I gained NO fps increase from you guys destroying Pavlovs house.. the map looks HORRID now.. Please tell me you can add a "environmental detail" slider to the video options.. PLEASE it cannot be that hard right? It's basically the same thing as foliage cept bricks and what not..

Please TWI for those of us who you have killed some of the immersion for, please tell us you can add this as a video feature at least later on? Doesn't have to be RIGHT now but at least let us know in the future its possible? I'd hate to see pavlovs reduced to this ugliness forever :(

Upvote 0
Just add a "ultra will make your computer lag, you really should choose high instead" dialog box. I've seen lots of games do that to deter people with 8800s who think they can run all ultra.

It is a shame to take out polys and detail from ultra though. Some games (witcher 2) have ultra settings that drop frames to 1/4 for a small increase in fidelity (ubersampling), but in the end it's a good thing. In 4 years, a $150 GPU will get 100fps, so it's worth it if only for extending the longevity of the game.

Upvote 0
The LOD is also pretty horrendous when you go into iron sights. Considering the size of ARMA2 maps, it's very strange that it's on par with a game like that.
wgvoys.jpg

Upvote 0
Here is a system usage screenshot of the game running at 30 fps, GPU and CPU usage taken immediately after alt tabing.

Don't tell me this is optimized or maxing out the CPU as that is total bull****.

Tripwire saying this game is CPU heavy is a lie.

Not maximizing the CPU or the GPU and the game is still running like a dog.

Tripwire removing details has not improved my performance. They could make the game look like DOD1 and it will still run at 30 fps as the problem is not the graphics but something choking on their code.

I want my graphics back, the awful blurriness and pop up that is in the game since recent patches is unacceptable and not a fix, The removal of details in maps such as the bricks is not acceptable. Stop pandering to low end systems, their not the problem. The problem is the game running like crap on high end hardware like my Q9650 @4.17ghz and a 5970.

unledyd.jpg

Upvote 0