• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Germans blend in in the maps too well...

I'm going to necro this thread because I noticed this immediately when playing.

As a new player (picked the game up for 3$ in the steam sale), the FIRST things I noticed is that

1. Germans win about 2x more on the 64-man realism territory/campaign maps I play on.

and

2. Russian uniforms are glow-in-the-dark where as the German uniforms blend in to Shadows and Snow maps perfectly.

IMO this is the #1 biggest issue with balance in the game. Realism or w/e, the German teams have a distinct advantage that is incredibly obvious. How the game has been out this long without a change being made is beyond me. Absolute incompetence on the part of the Dev team.

At least I only paid 3 dollars for the game.

Upvote 0
I'm going to necro this thread because I noticed this immediately when playing.

As a new player (picked the game up for 3$ in the steam sale), the FIRST things I noticed is that

1. Germans win about 2x more on the 64-man realism territory/campaign maps I play on.

and

2. Russian uniforms are glow-in-the-dark where as the German uniforms blend in to Shadows and Snow maps perfectly.

IMO this is the #1 biggest issue with balance in the game. Realism or w/e, the German teams have a distinct advantage that is incredibly obvious. How the game has been out this long without a change being made is beyond me. Absolute incompetence on the part of the Dev team.

So the campaign is unbalanced for Germans? Both sides alter at defending/ attacking the same maps. What is creating the balance problem? German grey uniforms? The German uniform colour works better in maps with darker lighting, but in maps like Spartanovka, Pavlovs House, Barashka and Apartments.The Russians blend in better with the brownish colour scheme and brighter light of the maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am also surpried that this has not yet been adequately addressed. If you look at some of the early screenshots from the Station map, there are some areas where a Soviet soldier would be standing in a shadowed area and almost producing their own light, even the boots are too light.

I dont think this is a problem with the colors, per se, but rather the way they reflect environment light. It is almost as if the German uniforms use a matte material finish while the Soviet ones are set to gloss. So instead of reflecting little to no light, the way rough cloth covered in dirt should, they reflect all the light.

Meh.

Upvote 0
Absolute incompetence on the part of the Dev team.

common problem with new players. we all went through it. after a while it makes no difference. germans are just as easy to kill as russians to me.
sounds to me like you're rage-quitting over this. if that's the case, just walk away. no use whining and blaming the devs on the way out the door. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I am also surpried that this has not yet been adequately addressed. If you look at some of the early screenshots from the Station map, there are some areas where a Soviet soldier would be standing in a shadowed area and almost producing their own light, even the boots are too light.

I dont think this is a problem with the colors, per se, but rather the way they reflect environment light. It is almost as if the German uniforms use a matte material finish while the Soviet ones are set to gloss. So instead of reflecting little to no light, the way rough cloth covered in dirt should, they reflect all the light.

Meh.

I have found that this kind of luminescense (not just on uniforms but on other objects in the game as well) can be fixed by turning off bloom.

Upvote 0
One thing that really jumped out to me during the free weekend was the difference between HERO uniforms on both sides...

I found a full 64 player CD server and since I'd never played CD with more than 24 players I hopped on (as Soviet). During the first round of the match every single death came from a TK. Not "the majority". Not "most". 100% of the time I was killed it was a friendly who did me in, and they apologized and explained that it was my dark green, muddy camo which made me look German.

I switched sides at the end of the round and as a German Hero I was only TK'd once, and that was grenade thrown through a 2nd story window so the guy didn't even see me.

So yeah, even if the level 99 players balance themselves between the two teams, the Soviet Heroes are going to get plinked by their own teammates much more often than their German counterparts.

Upvote 0
One thing that really jumped out to me during the free weekend was the difference between HERO uniforms on both sides...

I found a full 64 player CD server and since I'd never played CD with more than 24 players I hopped on (as Soviet). During the first round of the match every single death came from a TK. Not "the majority". Not "most". 100% of the time I was killed it was a friendly who did me in, and they apologized and explained that it was my dark green, muddy camo which made me look German.

I switched sides at the end of the round and as a German Hero I was only TK'd once, and that was grenade thrown through a 2nd story window so the guy didn't even see me.

So yeah, even if the level 99 players balance themselves between the two teams, the Soviet Heroes are going to get plinked by their own teammates much more often than their German counterparts.
just makes it even harder for the new guys. :(

Upvote 0
Ok. I dont know if its just me but it seems like the Germans are really hard to spot on some of the maps, as their uniform colour just happens to fit very well (like on Fallen Heroes, the shadows of the buildings there have a bluish tint like that of German uniform). I'd sometimes not see a German extremely close to me and engage an enemy thats even further, alerting the German closer to me and he shoots. Whenever i play as German though, I easily spot Soviets in their yellow uniforms...and on snowy maps, the white uniforms of the SOviets that were supposedly supposed to give them an advantage shine/gleam in the sun like lightbulbs, making Soviet troops even in white winter uniforms very easy to spot. It may just be me though since i have a ati radeon 5570 and can only play on medium settings with 15-20 fps...what do you guys think.....

Late to the discussion, but oh well:

Been there with the FPS.... I just upgraded not too long ago from my GeForce 210.

The day time maps like Spartanovka and Grain Elevator, the Germans stick out much more than the Russians do, but on night maps or winter maps like Mamayev and Fallen Fighters, the Russians stick out more than the Germans.

It's situational to me.

On Barracks, both uniforms stick out as much as the other for me.

Pavlov's House, the Russians blend in a bit better in most spots than the Germans do.

But again, it depends on the area where they are.

In Fallen Fighters, unless I am really close to the windows of the Russian's side, it's difficult for me to see them in those windows unless I see their muzzle flash..... but the Germans, for some reason, I can clearly see their heads and faces bobbing out of windows and holes..... but most of them are right up along the edges and in the light.... if either the Russians or Germans stand back in the shadows, they're very difficult to spot.

I think that if Mamayev was a day time map, the Russians would have the advantage of camo because the colour of their uniforms on that map would better blend into the background and environment, while the Germans would stick out like a sore thumb with their darker clothing. The reasons why the Russians are so easy to spot on that map is because they're usually on the top of the hill / horizon compared to the Germans looking upward most of the way and thus, with the dark sky behind them, the Russians are really easy to spot.

BTW

This is what I see:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/576724990341694307/B13114F57EF943D5DD941E26685938D2333DDA7B/

^ I don't see the Germans blending very well

Last edited:
Upvote 0
that pile of germans look like their blending in pretty well. to each other! ;)
is that a post-war svt, with the plumb bolt ya got there? :D

Yeah, just my lowly Lvl 49 SVT.... one more level to go.

And they obviously didn't blend enough.... otherwise that pile of Germans wouldn't be there.

They'll blend into the environment pretty well..... as soon as they decompose.... Moooo Hooo Haw Haw Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I asked how they [Germans] were able to spot me so far they said: "You're glowing". On some maps (sun maps) Soviets are simply radiating with light while Germans (especially on night maps) are hidden better. I think much depends on the video settings and how the game is working in this field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I asked how they [Germans] were able to spot me so far they said: "You're glowing". On some maps (sun maps) Soviets are simply radiating with light while Germans (especially on night maps) are hidden better. I think much depends on the video settings and how the game is working in this field.

I have to admit, I have not seen that yet. (I am running on the highest/ultra settings).

If its a problem, it should definitely be looked into.

Upvote 0