• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German anti-tank weapons

In my opinion the Geballte Ladung should definately feature as its a definate method of improvisation im sure the troops in stalingrad would have turned to if they didnt have a Panzerbuche 39 on hand. Alternatively I remember in the film 'Stalingrad - 1993' that a method of demoilising a tank was to shove a shaped log of wood with metal spikes into one of the treads of the Russian tank in order to knock out its tracks, which would in-tern make it incredibly vulnerable for friendly tanks to flank it & knock it out.

I guess this question brings up the debate about mobile anti-tank guns such as the PAK variety as they where specifically designed for action against enemy armour, problem is they dont serve of much tactical significance if you cant move them from one choke point to the next, instead having to wait until a tank runs into the Line of Sight of the imobile gun.

Cheers
Sturm

Upvote 0
Well, bugger. Though it would've been. Physics isn't my strong suit. But since there're tanks in game leaving germans face the enemy armor with just Gelbate and other close range weapons is a bit steep. Cannons would be too static for most cases.
Well that's how the German infantry man had to fight the tank until the introduction of the panzerfaust. Another option is the molotov cocktail, it worked for the Finns, but not sure if it could do any damage to heavier tanks like the Kv1 and T34

Upvote 0
Another option is the molotov cocktail, it worked for the Finns, but not sure if it could do any damage to heavier tanks like the Kv1 and T34

Molotov is not really an option, since diesel engines and better design on air intake pretty much rendered molotovs useless on T-34 and KV-1. Later on war (at the times of Stalingrad) molotovs were good pretty much only for blinding the tanks. Well, they worked better on German tanks, which had benzin engines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Besides for zero angle PB39 could penetrate 30 mm for 100 meters. T34 has slightly more armor on sides and back, but how often you shoot a tank from over 100 m's in RO:OST? 50 to 20 meter is more like it.

That would only apply for a steel plate that is not angled or sloped. T-34 (hull) armour has basically notable slope almost everywhere, lower side hull might be the only part where it's not sloped but it's too thick to be penetrated with AT rifles nevertheless.

RedGuardist said:
Later on war (at the times of Stalingrad) molotovs were good pretty much only for blinding the tanks

Or occasionally get lucky and panic some inexperienced crew inside despite no (physical) harm has been done.

Upvote 0
This isn't really a game that would benefit from it but other games use troop transport/tanks to tow guns into position. But yeah, the grenade launcher AT rifle seems the best option.

This is from wikipedia.

"Starting in 1942, remaining PzB 39 rifles were rebuilt with a shortened barrel (590 mm) and an affixed Schiessbecher ("firing cup") attachment threaded to the barrel and used to launch standard rifle grenades. The cup was the standard type used with the ubiquitous Kar 98k infantry rifle and the ammunition was also interchangeable; there were three types of grenades: an anti-personnel grenade, a light anti-tank grenade and a large-diameter anti-tank grenade. The grenades were propelled by a special cartridge with a wood bullet. The rifle was also outfitted with a special sighting arrangement for firing up to 150 m and the wooden forend was removed. These converted rifles received the designation Granatb

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was not a Anti-Tank rifle in the way you think of one, it was modified to launch high explosive, anti tank and shaped grenades, like a rifle grenade. It could easily penetrate the sides and rear of a T34, and even a Panzer IV. However, I would of thought they would be rare in Stalingrad seeing as they introduced in 1942.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was not a Anti-Tank rifle in the way you think of one, it was modified to launch high explosive, anti tank and shaped grenades, like a rifle grenade. It could easily penetrate the sides and rear of a T34, and even a Panzer IV. However, I would of thought they would be rare in Stalingrad seeing as they introduced in 1942.

I know, I mean the PTRD modelyia 1941 and Panzerbuchse Ausf-1939.

Upvote 0