• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GDC 2010 starts today!

Yes, but Call of Duty 4 also runs hitscan over actual projectiles per round fired.

Call of Duty doesn't have actual projectiles , never had. It has lasers which instantly regs at the destination of where the crosshair is pointed, neither do the bullets come out of the barrel.

Not saying Cod is a bad game, it's great for pub, e-sport , clans just like it's counterparts Cs, Moh but it has nothing close to real life or Red Orchestra in terms of realism.

Upvote 0
Call of Duty doesn't have actual projectiles , never had. It has lasers which instantly regs at the destination of where the crosshair is pointed, neither do the bullets come out of the barrel.

Not saying Cod is a bad game, it's great for pub, e-sport , clans just like it's counterparts Cs, Moh but it has nothing close to real life or Red Orchestra in terms of realism.

...That's what I said. CoD runs hitscan over projectiles (akin to Red Orchestra). Derp.

Upvote 0
That's what I like about Bad Company. Sure it's arcady, but you can see your bullet travel as a sniper, over long distance that is. And you see it arc and all. Pretty cool.

You can also see that firing any non-sniper weapon hits exactly where you aim, which means that
1. there's no real bullet
2. bullet drop is faked for sniper rifles
3. tracers are fake

That's at least the conclusions I've come to, by firing a sniper rifle right at the running target and getting a kill, firing a MG with a scope and having "bullets" land exactly at the spot I was aiming, bullets hitting targets at huge distances without any delay.

Either I'm wrong, or DICE is increasing their sales by false advertising a realistic bullet model.

Upvote 0
You can also see that firing any non-sniper weapon hits exactly where you aim, which means that
1. there's no real bullet
2. bullet drop is faked for sniper rifles
3. tracers are fake

That's at least the conclusions I've come to, by firing a sniper rifle right at the running target and getting a kill, firing a MG with a scope and having "bullets" land exactly at the spot I was aiming, bullets hitting targets at huge distances without any delay.

Either I'm wrong, or DICE is increasing their sales by false advertising a realistic bullet model.

Well according to the DICE devs and i assume here that they don't lie, they use real ballistics, but after playing the game for a month i've to agree that it's indeed a very very ... > very simple ballistics system.

And as you say it's probably all just faked more or less with a little touch of real projectiles. Anyway for arcade games like that it doesn't matter, i am more annoyed by how the server delay is significant.

You can on your client side walk from a street run behind cover and in your actual screen you made it to cover, but when the server calculations catch up you get killed, because in reality for the server you where never in cover.

A big flaw for the Frostbite engine if you ask me, i have no idea how they're gonna succeed making a consistency FPS like Medal of Honor Multiplayer with that kinda "lagg-smoothening" as they call it.

Upvote 0
Gravity only affects sniper rounds. They also travel considerably slower through the air than other bullets. I'm not certain all other bullets are hitscan however. There's definitely a delay you'll notice, but that's not travel time, that's the delightful (rubbish) netcode model that Frostbite uses. There's a deliberate server controlled lag of roughly 50-75ms that they use to keep the game smooth looking for everyone. Nice in theory, but it means that there's an increased prevalence of "killed after taking cover" syndrome, having your shots not register, being pronouned "dead" by the server before the player who killed you has even appeared on your screen, etc. I'm sure it's great for a console, but on PC it's utter garbage.

The reason I suspect ballistics is because if you try to shoot someone at point blank, you won't hurt them. At all. Suspected reason for this is below.

...That's what I said. CoD runs hitscan over projectiles (akin to Red Orchestra). Derp.
Er... "akin to"? RO uses hitscan only for the first 2 metres or so, in case someone's right in front of you. If it doesn't hit anything, then it spawns a projectile and away it goes. That hitscan check is only there because if a projectile is spawned inside a person (i.e. when someone's at point blank range) then it doesn't detect as a hit and will fly through the person. I believe that caused some grief in the earlier mod days of RO from memory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About bullet penetration: You know there might actually be something inside the wooden crates, right? Sure the bullet will sail straight through the 1/2" thick wooden planks that make up the box, but what about the cans of food or stacks of uniforms or whatever it is that that crate is full of?

Also, you guys forgot to mention that in BC2 the sniper rounds also drop a ridiculous amount for a range of ~150 meters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About bullet penetration: You know there might actually be something inside the wooden crates, right? Sure the bullet will sail straight through the 1/2" thick wooden planks that make up the box, but what about the cans of food or stacks of uniforms or whatever it is that that crate is full of?

Also, you guys forgot to mention that in BC2 the sniper rounds also drop a ridiculous amount for a range of ~150 meters.

Bah Bobdog, don't be silly, ever played Half-Life? Large wooden boxes are everywhere and are ALWAYS empty

Upvote 0
... I swear, people are just not reading my posts.
No offence, but I'm not sure that what you wrote was actually what you meant.

Just for clarification, "akin to" means "the same as". i.e. You stated that CoD uses hitscan instead of projectiles, "the same as" Red Orchestra, but that's obviously wrong. However rather than simply stating that, I explained why you were actually half-right (sort of), whether you meant it or not.

Upvote 0
Its a punctuation based misunderstanding. He meant that COD uses hit scan, over firing actual projectiles that RO uses.

Or in other terms COD uses hit scan, and RO fires actual bullets. So the "akin to" pointed at the actual spawning of projectiles, and not to the system cod uses. In any other context his post wouldn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ge-003b.JPG

Here is a picture of the grain elevator post battle (showed by Russ Schulke in an earlier mapping thread). Notice the clear marks of the collapsed side building, and that the part the side building would cover shows a much lighter contrast than the rest of the building.

The building next to the grain elevator on the right of the ground seems of similar light contrast, so it's quite likely that the grain elevator was painted. Now it could have been painted grey as it remains a black and white picture, but it doesn't make the light green colour so unlikely.

The question remains what would this picture be:
http://www.ww2incolor.com/homefront/stalingradsilo.html As that seems to be the same building but then much whiter and without the side building.

Is that perhaps a picture made quite a bit before the siege of Stalingrad (and got a wrong date), made before the side part of the building was build attached and before the building was painted green. As in aerial photographs of 1 year before the war, the side part seems to be already attached to the building. http://www.fireonthevolga.com/ge-001.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That second photo looks like it is a recolored black and white photo. Anyway, the Russians haven't let many people into the grain elevator since WW2, so I doubt they would have gone to the trouble of painting it after the fact.

No need to get into the silo for the colour of the outside though ;). Not to forget that in that photo not only the colour is different the entire side building is missing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
grainu.jpg

Well on that image i made you can clearly see that it nowdays got
multiple colors, even if you look at the photo i turned to black and white. How ever
on those ww2 images it got propaply just one color. And if you take a look
to that photo where is prisoners on it, you see that its destroyed quite
badly. So it must have be reconstructed after war and most likely
repainted with that green as everything which comes from Soviet union
and is made in somewhere 50's is that T-34 green.

I have working on woodworking company when i was teen and all circular saws,
grinders and drills which were bought from DDR got that exactly
same green. And i allways used wondered how they can have exactly
same color no matter whats the manufacturer was. But Soviet Union
have propaply just sold all that paint to companies after there was
nomore need to paint tanks and planes. And after that used the rest of
it to public buildings. That must have been tons of green paint they have
had after world war 2. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no doubt that new sections were added in different colours but the question remains about the original colour at the start of ww2.

Because for as much it had a monotone colour, i don't think the colour was white, as could be seen on the picture I showcased as right next to it were a lot whiter buildings. (and I doubt they would repaint the darn thing before they fixed the building)

So I wonder what others have to say about this thing as well, as so far it could just have been the green colour showcased in the screen shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ya...i find out the same when took a look to photos. Side building is missing totally
which makes me wonder if it was detroyed totally before the photos
were taken, which i doubt because the rest of building is still totally
up.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HFw5DphC6pE/SdPpDgSch_I/AAAAAAAAACk/_iztHAxJcDg/s1600/stalingrad1.jpg
http://www.timecastmodels.co.uk/range_3/elevator1.jpg

And if there was no such a thing as that side building i wonder
is there anybody in charge of research in TWI and what he did
in their Russian trip. Drink Vodka and pass out in first Hotel.

Anyways dont take this too seriously. TWI boys are mainly
quite good in historical accuracy as they dont think that way
as many big companies does. "If 80% of player wont notice it,
its ok". And thats allows you to add even Eiffel tower to K

Last edited:
Upvote 0