• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gauss Gun/Tau Cannon for Sharpshooter

Milan

Grizzled Veteran
  • Apr 19, 2021
    Kazan
    Gauss gun inspired mainly by Half-life.

alexander-rain-05-tau-vray.jpg

As you know, sharpshooter's skill choices offer them a tradeoff between weapon power and mobility.
    The very main idea behind this weapon is to give sharpshooter a versatile weapon that's more or less suitable for playstyles with both left and right skill trees.
    Gauss gun can charge up it's shot to increase damage. Or shoot weaker beams with faster rate of fire.
    The weapon combines both playstyles for the sharpshooter - charged shots do more damage and more suitable for left sided, stationary sniper. While low powered beams deal maybe the same damage as winchester but have a lot faster rate of fire - useful when you need to move.
    SImple. Works pretty mich like husk cannon, but designed for Sharpshooter.

Here is weapon's description from official wiki:
    "The Tau Cannon fires beams of Tau particles. The weapon has two different fire modes. The first shoots tau particles semi-automatically, visible as yellow beams in the air; each beam damages a target with its negative charge and its bullet-like kinetic energy. Though only moderately per hit, these rapid discharges can quickly gun down unarmored targets. The alt-fire mode charges up the weapon to fire more powerful white-hot beams; these can shoot through multiple targets or walls, causing a devastating explosion blast of particles on the far side."

They mention some kind of explosion, but in game this weapon doesn't do that. Also it doesn't have to penetrate walls obviously.

Last edited:
    Reactions: gm130993
    After the gluon gun, it was just a matter of time before you introduced the Tau Cannon ;)

I absolutely adore that gun, it's probably my favorite in the whole Half-Life franchise... Even more so considering you can use it to increase your mobility ! But I don't know if I like it as much if it ends up being the Sharp's Husk Cannon... It's part of the perk's meta to choose between single-shot, highly-damaging weapons or faster-firing, weaker options that are more versatile.

Readily having both sounds a bit too good IMO. It's like a cranked-up Railgun really.

Upvote 0
    After the gluon gun, it was just a matter of time before you introduced the Tau Cannon ;)

I absolutely adore that gun, it's probably my favorite in the whole Half-Life franchise... Even more so considering you can use it to increase your mobility ! But I don't know if I like it as much if it ends up being the Sharp's Husk Cannon... It's part of the perk's meta to choose between single-shot, highly-damaging weapons or faster-firing, weaker options that are more versatile.

Readily having both sounds a bit too good IMO. It's like a cranked-up Railgun really.
    Im not sure how many damage charged shot should inflict, maybe a little bit more than crossbow?

Upvote 0
    Im not sure how many damage charged shot should inflict, maybe a little bit more than crossbow?
    Well, considering you have to charge it (unlike the Railgun and M99), I believe it should at least reliably decap medium zeds (aka Husks, Sirens, Gorefiend...) in one charged shot. Possibly even Quarterpounders. But yeah, Scrakes and Fleshpounds might need a bit more firepower compared to the very big guns as a tradeoff.

I guess the Crossbow is a good compromise, yeah !

Reactions: Milan
    Upvote 0