• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gasprices

"Car running on tapwater" is just like humans flying without wings. Not gonna happen.

If you want to have good explanation, drink 5-10 litres of water in a day for few weeks and you still won't gain any weight. Simply there is just no real energy in water.

And I keep hearing one gallon of raw oil has enough energy to feed a man for roughly 40-50 days energy-wise, if a man would be able to use oil as a source of energy for its own body. That's quite hell of a lot, atleast 70,000 - 87,500 kcal. And 1,5l bottle of Coca-Cola has *only* about 730kcal of energy.

And with this miracle energy stuff, sounds just rather questionable that "Hey in water there is an energy source that could save the world we just can't use it" - kinda like asking someone to prove that does some object exist in this world without using our senses to "sense" the object.

Not on water, but running them by using deuterium and/or tritium would be possible theoretically :p

Upvote 0
Europeans can afford it because generally speaking.

Your average European make more money.

And this is all offset by the fact that they get FREE HEALTH CARE.
I would gladly pay $10 per gallon in trade for quality socialized health care.

Like one German doctor here in the U.S. said. Germans are getting a Mercedes
for the price of a VW when it comes to health care. Americans are getting the
exact opposit.

Add to that the fact that since the 1940's it is mostly the U.S. Taxpayer who has
had to fork the bill for the cold war and to help feed the world.

You can't really call us whiners unless you look at the bigger picture.

Gas prices have a direct impact on all aspects of our quality of life.
One thing the rest of the world doesn't realize yet is that when we
start hurting, they will start hurting.

The U.S. GIVES AWAY more money and food than any other country
in the world. When this stops, bad things will start happening.

Honestly though, calling Americans whiners (even jokingly) is a prelude to a thread that will be short lived.

eh eh, and we europeans got a lot days for vacation. my company gives me 30 days off per year^^

Upvote 0
They've obviously never watched "Deja Vu" before then :p It clearly explains how time travel works :rolleyes:

Let me guess: Because of the nature of quantum mechanics? Because the spin of *add something here* can be everything until it's observed, because there are multiple dimensions? I don't even know what I'm talking about :\

/me checks the imdb

edit: Folding space, pffft

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me guess: Because of the nature of quantum mechanics? Because the spin of *add something here* can be everything until it's observed, because there are multiple dimensions? I don't even know what I'm talking about :\

/me checks the imdb

edit: Folding space, pffft

That was tongue in cheek mate ;)

Upvote 0
food might seem expensive, but its actually to cheap.
at least the base products of food like grain.
i sell my grain between 160 and 200 euro's per ton, wich is a much better price then we got for the last 15 years wich was always around 100 euro's.

thats the worldmarket price, and no farmer on earth can make grains for such a low price, you lose money by selling it at that price. thats why farmers in rich countries get subsidies so they can sell their products without going broke.
the problem is that poor countries cannot afford to pay their farmers, so they stop farming and buy cheap food from rich countries.

now today with 1000 kg of grains, they buy for 170 euro's, they make 2000 breads and sell them for about 3000 euro's.
thats where all the money goes, the price between farmer and consumer was multiplied by 17. while the price of grain is lower than 20 years ago... it's the intermediary persons that fill their pockets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
food might seem expensive, but its actually to cheap.
at least the base products of food like grain.
i sell my grain between 160 and 200 euro's per ton, wich is a much better price then we got for the last 15 years wich was always around 100 euro's.

thats the worldmarket price, and no farmer on earth can make grains for such a low price, you lose money by selling it at that price. thats why farmers in rich countries get subsidies so they can sell their products without going broke.
the problem is that poor countries cannot afford to pay their farmers, so they stop farming and buy cheap food from rich countries.

now today with 1000 kg of grains, they buy for 170 euro's, they make 2000 breads and sell them for about 3000 euro's.
thats where all the money goes, the price between farmer and consumer was multiplied by 17. while the price of grain is lower than 20 years ago... it's the intermediary persons that fill their pockets.
meh....
the only thing I really agree with in that post is your first sentence. Particularly for the US consumer. The US consumer spends less of his disposable income on food than any other nation in the world. Food (here in the US) is cheaper in that sense than it has ever been (even at current grain prices).

I make a decent living farming and draw no subsidies. And take a look at Australian (and I think New Zealand) farmers. Their countries do not subsidize farmers. The arguement could be made that I reap the benefits of farm programs even though I don't participate, but I can't control that. Without loan programs (price support), I do just fine.

I'm assuming you are talking about wheat prices when you say grain? We sell stuff by the bushel, so if I've got my conversions right...
1 metric ton = 2,204 pounds
60 pounds wheat = 1 bushel
1 metric ton = 36 bushels (aprox).

1 euro = $1.54

Your selling wheat at about $6.79 to $8.50 (US) per bushel.
On the exchanges here, July wheat closed at $7.71. The July contract has traded from about $7.60 to $12.60. If a US farmer can't make money at those prices (subsidies or no), he needs to find another vocation :rolleyes:

Imo, the problem the US farmer has when competing in the world market is the restrictions on seed propogation and chemical use. We pay a premium for seed that we cannot "brown bag" (harvest, store and use to plant next season). The seed companies have gotten laws passed to prevent that. The US farmer either pays a premium for certain patented herbicides and pesticides that other farming countries do not. Not to mention the fact that herbicides and pesticides that are illegal to use/buy/sell in the US are still widely used in many other countries. (US consumers should be aware of that when they buy produce from our southern neighbor Mexico.)

I could go on and on. I watched two business "experts" on CNN this weekend espouse so much BS about the markets, price discovery, and how farmers have to charge more for their products because of rising prices. I would love to have a job where I could speak about something I know absolutely nothing about and get paid for it. Imagine my surprise when I discoverd that I could set my price for my perishable produce (or even my cotton). Sounds like some here must've seen the same show ;) Speculators are needed for price discovery. They play no part in the actual price paid to the farmer. The "basis" at the time of day determines that. The fact that they may or may not make money hardly affects the price of your food.

Too much info being glossed over.. that is never a good thing....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank Hugo ;)

..and thats another reason for the rise in prices, a recent surge in whats called 'resource nationalism' .. but it appears to be a chicken and egg type of scenario. These guys in the link think 'rn' follows after prices rise (http://www.voxeu.com/index.php?q=node/1050), but I've heard some saying the prices are high largely due to several countries holding onto stock.

Upvote 0