• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Games with best dialogue / monologue, or otherwise great story

Welcome to the H.E.V. mark 4 protective system. For use in hazardous environment conditions. High-impact reactive armour activated. Atmospheric contaminant sensors activated. Vital sign monitoring activated. Automatic medical systems engaged. Weapon selection system activated. Munition level monitoring activated. Communications interface online. Have a very safe day.

How polite.

Upvote 0
HL 1 has some classic dialogue, Some personal favs, off the top of my head-

"that's one less horror in the world"
"with my brains and your brawn we'll make an excellent team"
"..quite a nasty piece of work you managed over there...I am impressed"

Story wise however I think the developers have been kinda making it up as they go, just keeping it vague and interconnected to suggest a grand scheme that i suspect they havn't figured out yet. Fans have perhaps read more into it than is actually there.
So i wouldnt rate it's 'story' - but the voice acting and dialogue was genuinely great.
Remember it was just a blaster- not an RPG-'lite' fps like Deus Ex - but the dialogue did a lot to create a feeling of emmersion.

Speaking of which, Deus Ex is as good as it gets on the basis of story strength and quality dialogue, however unfortunately I found the voice acting to be occasionally inconsistant.
I would rate Thief 1+2 highly in all regards really.

oh, and I think a deserved mention goes to Sgt Sledge with "Welcome back corporal Kane. May I be the first to say, you look like sh1t"

Upvote 0
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura had some EXCELLENT dialog, plot twists, subplots, and atmosphere.

There were so many shadowy little side-stories to investigate. They really fleshed out the world. I mean, not only did the main quest have several major (and well paced) twists, there was also the "X-Files" conspiracy story to stumble upon, and other quests like that. Things that had little to do with the main plot, but were still complex. Made me feel like the world the game was set in was so fascinating.

System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, as mentioned before, have great stories for FPS shooters. The audio logs in SS2 blow those from Bioshock away. And while Bioshock's big plot twist was, in my opinion, alot better than SS2's, System Shock took the plot in a far better direction after the big reveal.

Man just hearing SHODAN say "You. Are. My. Avatar." still creeps me out.

Upvote 0
Max Payne 1 and 2... I can only wish for a third one however... It might be best to let it be.

Strife... 486 doom like game...
I think it was ahead of its time... but didn't really catch on.

Aside from that, I think HL2 + Episodes are very well done....

But for the thread topic, I have not seen anything that can top Max Payne... it was as addicting as a good book or quality TV Series.

Upvote 0
Max Payne 1 and 2... I can only wish for a third one however... It might be best to let it be.

Strife... 486 doom like game...
I think it was ahead of its time... but didn't really catch on.

Aside from that, I think HL2 + Episodes are very well done....

But for the thread topic, I have not seen anything that can top Max Payne... it was as addicting as a good book or quality TV Series.

I'd say Mafia has a story just as good as Max Payne's story.
The entire game revolves around the storyline, and it shows :)

Upvote 0