[Game] Games with best dialogue / monologue, or otherwise great story

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Nimsky

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
What are the games that have some of the better monologue (ie the protagonist tells a story) or dialogue ever? After all, it's always good if the characters in games have some sort of substance to it. I feel this is rather neglected in a lot of games.

So let's try to make a list. Games with a deep, intelligent storyline are welcome too.
  1. Max Payne
  2. Deus Ex
  3. Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy in NA)
  4. Monkey Island games
  5. Some of the classic adventure games
  6. Brothers In Arms (yes, I know you guys love to hate BiA, but they definitely gave the characters some personality... they weren't just 'shooting machines').
  7. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (great voice acting, great character development)
That's all I can think of for now....

Last edited:

Bluehawk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 13, 2006
Hamilton, ON
Trung Sĩ * :D

You can't forget the Metal Gear Solid series. They have really good voice acting.. even if the plot always seems to take a turn for the retarded.

SiC-Disaster

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Oh, and i loved Operation Flashpoint's story as well, together with Red Hammer's and Resistance's story!
One of the reasons being that OFP was one of the first wargames ever to come with a 'personal' story to it, instead of just mission after mission with no real character to it. Guess thats the biggest disappointment for me in Armed Assault, but i understand they are picking up storytelling again for ArmA2, so we'll see.
But even then, the storylines are good :)

Nimsky

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Haven't played Mafia yet.

And yes, San Andreas has much better voice acting and character development than most games. But oh wait, "it izzunt realiztic lulz". :rolleyes:

Jokerman

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 18, 2006
Psychonauts
Call of Cthulhu
Call of Juarez (not much of a story but the writing was preaty good)
Day of the Tentacle (3 branched, interwined, silly kindo funny plotlines)
Bioshock (a league of its own, excluding the last 1/4 and the contrived ending(s))

Oldih

Glorious IS-2 Comrade
Nov 22, 2005
Finland
Metal Gear Solid.

Sometimes just those eternal-long dialogues made it worth playing.

UncleDrax

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 13, 2005
Florida, USA
www.endoftheworldfor.us
Actually, in the same way I loved Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising", I equally loved the story in WiC. There were parts that were obviously cliche, but I think you'll have a hard time finding ANY script that doesn't have some cliche's in it.