• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Games that should have (more) sequels

Werner

Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2006
I've been quite disappointed in the quality of the newest PC games: only a couple of them are capable of keeping hooked for more than 5 minutes. As stated in the "Curse of 1337 graphics" thread, the visuals seem to have much more value to the developers than actual gameplay, plot and the overall mood of the game. So, I'd like to list a few games that really should have sequels because of their sheer creativeness, fun factor and top notch quality.

Aliens Vs. Predator 2

One of the most atmospheric FPS games I've ever played. The aliens and predators are very characteristic creatures and being able to play them makes the game twice as awesome. The multiplayer modes of this game have so much potential: I remember having a blast with 2-3 marines battling against one predator. Of course the game lacks our beloved iron sights and had some really unbalanced weapons (like the spear gun which you could actually use to snipe every marine without giving away your invisibility cloak) but the gameplay still rocked and still rocks. I'm thinking of installing this gem on my computer again as soon as I get my GPU back. Too bad the netcode is somewhat laggy and the graphics start to feel a bit outdated aswell. I really want to see AvP 3 with improved graphics, maybe iron sights, more gadgets for marines and predators, more swift movement for aliens, better netcode and a bit more balanced weapons. Other than that, you really wouldn't need to do much to make a new awesome sequel to this series.

Fallout 2

The best RPG I've ever played. So much immersion, such a great story and a good combat system. I'm not pleased at all to hear that Bethesda Softworks is making the third game of this series. If it turns out to be a sandbox FPS RPG with a clich

Last edited:
A real sequel to Deus Ex ;)

Dungeon Keeper 3.
Klingon Academy 2. Pity they won't be able to bring back Chang. Though with the amount of custom ships available, you don't really need a sequel.

Thief was wrapped up nicely by Deadly Shadows, I thought, and System Shock has a spiritual successor coming.

Upvote 0
System Shock needs a real sequel. Something that, like SS2 did, makes your jaw drop mid game with a left hook from nowhere, and has you scared of the sound of screeching monkeys (look, phsyker monkies are scary, ok? KREEEKREEEKREEEEEEE *phwoosh*)

Nox needs a sequal. It didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but I don't recall having laughed more at a silly dungeon crawl than with Nox.

MechWarrior, for sure. Preferrably more MW3 than MW4 (more 'simmy' vs. more 'actiony', but at this point I'll take what I can get. I just hope it's not a total arcade POS.

Dawn of War. This is already confirmed by Relic, I think, I'm just an impatient ass and me wahntz eet.

A new Clive Barker game. Undying (aside from the incredibly lackluster end boss) was a stellar game, and downright creepy.

A new Oni would be cool. Combat was fun and the gameplay was great except for a few places where the pacing felt a bit off.

Another Septera Core. I unfortunately lost my save game in hard drive failure and thus never beat it, so I don't know if the story ultimately lends itself to a sequel, but it was a cool universe/story.

That's a small list. Way too many PC games in the Tak's history. LOL

Upvote 0

A new Clive Barker game. Undying (aside from the incredibly lackluster end boss) was a stellar game, and downright creepy.
I love that game, one of my all time favorites. Why are good FPS horror games so neglected? It's like everyone suddenly forgot about the horror genre. I guess most people don't like playing horrific games from 9:00 to 2:00am like me. Ah well.

Upvote 0
System Shock needs a real sequel. Something that, like SS2 did, makes your jaw drop mid game with a left hook from nowhere, and has you scared of the sound of screeching monkeys (look, phsyker monkies are scary, ok? KREEEKREEEKREEEEEEE *phwoosh*)​

Well, I think BioShock will make your dreams come true even though it's more steampunk than cyberpunk. Instead of a space ship, you'll be wandering alone inside a huge underwater facility which was built first in 1940s by nazis. The images speak for themselves, check it out. ;)

http://www.sshock2.com/bioshock/

Edit: Oh man! Just when I was finishing my post, I looked on the main page of the BioShock site (it's not an official one) and saw a link to a gameplay video! Downloading it NOW! :D

Is Undying still playable or is it so outdated that it would be difficult to enjoy it today? I'm thinking of visiting some supermarkets and browsing through their collections of old PC games. I've heard the game being praised but I had a too crappy comp to run it when it was first published.
Edit:

Why are good FPS horror games so neglected? It's like everyone suddenly forgot about the horror genre. I guess most people don't like playing horrific games from 9:00 to 2:00am like me. Ah well.

Well, I love the horror genre too. Only a few games have been able to scare me (System Shock 2, Resident Evil 1, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Silent Hill 1 & 2) since most of the new "horror" games trust only in loud sudden sounds and surprise monsters (F.E.A.R., Condemned: Criminal Origins). I think the creeping mood is a lot more scarier than just throwing more and more Hollywood monsters on the screen. And the semi-random AI in System Shock 2 scared the crap out of me. I can remember my first contact with a mutant wielding a pipe and hiding under a computer desk (in game though!) until it went away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is Undying still playable or is it so outdated that it would be difficult to enjoy it today? I'm thinking of visiting some supermarkets and browsing through their collections of old PC games. I've heard the game being praised but I had a too crappy comp to run it when it was first published.
Edit:​
It's on the original unreal engine (unrealtournament) but I'm unsure if it'll work with windowsXP.

Well, I love the horror genre too. Only a few games have been able to scare me (System Shock 2, Resident Evil 1, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Silent Hill 1 & 2) since most of the new "horror" games trust only in loud sudden sounds and surprise monsters (F.E.A.R., Condemned: Criminal Origins). I think the creeping mood is a lot more scarier than just throwing more and more Hollywood monsters on the screen.
Yeah I love Silent hill, I've played 1,2 and part of 3. I totally agree that a very creepy sinister atmosphere is much more frightening and disturbing than just having an orgy of monster slaughtering which is what most proclaimed "horror" games go for.

Upvote 0
Ahhhhh Clive Barkers Undying, yet more great usage of the Unreal Engine!

I remember, early on in one of the cutscenes when you're talking to Jeremiah, and you hear a howler, and Patrick Galloway (your character) goes "What was that!?" and points his cannon of a revolver thats the same length as his arm at the door of the room. Love it :)

Definitely worth checking out if you can get a copy! (I'll install it when I get home to see if it works on XP)

A proper sequel to Deus Ex would be fantastic, I'd have really liked an expansion or something that allowed you to continue working for UNATCO. Fat chance though.

A sequel for System shock 2 would have been fantastic, god knows the ending lends itself to one completely.
Aside from the Rat Men from Arx Fatalis (Ultima Underworld'esque game, made by Arcane Studios (of Dark Messiah) ), nothing scared me as much as the monkeys and the many!

That 15 minute video for BioShock looks pretty dull. I always get the impression that the 50's decor thing is an excuse not to be imaginative enough to come up with your own setting and sci-fi style. I might be wrong, the graphics look really nice. But don't they all these days.

I really enjoyed FEAR, but for the combat rather than the "Horror" aspect of the game. It was well done, but it seemed a bit detatched.

Upvote 0
I have NOLF 1&2 and Contract Jack, all are great fun. But imo, like AvP there's no where for the series to go.

There's no real point in making more of the same with better graphics.
Look at Tribes Venegance, better graphics than Tribes 2 and with all the problems of it too. Unreal 2, looked great, but lost all of what made Unreal 1 special.

There's no point resurrecting a franchise if you're just gonna mess it up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0