• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gameplay has turned into a campfest...

OnCrack

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
This is it, two weeks of beta and few days after release I find my self with no better tactic than camping, either on defense or offense I can get about 30-40 kills every game just by finding a spot and camping the enemy till i get spot, I say it's not fun to me, there's no challenge, I've come to know all the spots on the most famous maps where you can just point your super accurate auto/semi-auto gun and get kills, one after the other. I'ts no that I didn't try to play differently, it's just not possible, I either camp and get on top of the leaderboard or get killed by campers.

I find it boring that I can stand still and have the same accuracy I have with the gun rested.

it's just not fun that I can run for miles and have no penalty while shooting.

It's annoying that a guy shoots three bullets in my chest and I can kill him and bandage later on.

It's ridiculous that I can get 60 meters headshots while bleeding to death.

It's hilarious that I can sprint and zigzag while the enemy unloads a gun on me and stab him with the bayonet and then bandage as if nothing happened.

On most the maps is just that, a big campfest, behind the little walls on apartments, in the bush on the far left on spartanovka, etc. etc. no tactics no flanking, no suppression fire, it's just aim shoot and get a kill every single shot, first day I thought 'wow I am good at this', but then I realised it was just how the game works. Now every map has just become that.

This is not about bugs, or balance, or realism, it's about the gameplay. Killing stuff is too easy that it's not even fun to me anymore, I remember RO where every kill felt like you really achieved something, now it's just counting how many you can kill before they hunt you down.

But what can TWI do about this? I wonder how do TWI devs feel when they play the game, when all this stuff is under their own eyes? Is that kind of gameplay what you were aiming to achieve? Maybe an official statement on that will clarify many things. Like 'we wanted the game to be like this, so live with it if you don't like it'...

Please keep it civil.

I think you guys should make up your minds.

There's this thread that complains that there is too much camping and then the "Has RO2 turn into Day of Defeat?" with the more fast-paced arcade-y style gameplay.

TWI has been successful in appeasing both groups, apparently if there are arguments on both sides of the fence.

Upvote 0
Do you play the defending side every game? I agree that if your just trying to top the leaderboard that getting on defense side an finding a good spot to set up your tent is the best way. They could start by giving squad leaders back double smokes. An placing some more cover on some maps. Like Grain Elevator, Commisars House, Red October.

Upvote 0
I think the "problem" is due to the game being out just a week and many, many new players around. And even veterans are still coming to grips with the new game. You just cannot compare that to the bunch of battle hardened veterans that kept playing RO for years, some even coming from the mod days! I guarantee you that given a couple of months time, the average player will give you a very hard time if you keep camping at the same spot.

Reactions: Kurtensen
Upvote 0
I've been very successful in RO2 without having to camp. It isn't easy, which is why some players resort to camping, but it is possible to be an effective player without "camping". I wouldn't call it a problem exactly but camping, atleast in RO2, is a very easy tactic that players can use. It can be called FOOS (first order optimal strategy), something that doesn't require a lot of input or skill on the player's end while giving them decent rewards. A good example of this is 40mm grenade launchers in pretty much any "arcade" shooter. There isn't much required to get kills, and it is usually one of the first strategies that players imploy. This doesn't mean that it is the only valid tactic. Just as in other games, this may be the easiest way to rack up kills, but there is also room for progressing your skills. The bonuses for getting kills inside of cap zones is more than enough motivation for me to get my *** over there (not to mention increased chances of winning). The way I see it is, the longer that camper sits there, the longer they are not defending an objective.

Upvote 0
What I have a problem with is people never want to get into the cap zones..
For one you get TONS more points for killing a enemy in the cap zone then just camping in a roof somewhere

Secondly, You get tons of points for capping said zone

And for last
Only only get 1 point for killing outside the zone... just get into a zone and get 7points per kill.

Upvote 0
It's annoying that a guy shoots three bullets in my chest and I can kill him and bandage later on.

It's ridiculous that I can get 60 meters headshots while bleeding to death.

It's hilarious that I can sprint and zigzag while the enemy unloads a gun on me and stab him with the bayonet and then bandage as if nothing happened.

These are probably my 3 biggest aggravations when playing this game. Half the time you aim with a rifle square at a guy's chest from 10 feet away and the hit fails to register, and he either Mbk42's or bayonets me.

The other half of the time I aim with a rifle square at a guy's chest from 10 feet, he proceeds as if nothing happened and either Mkb42's or bayonets me, then either bandages and scurries off for more fairy tale play, or bleeds out, sometimes taking a few more on my side with him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"I find it boring that I can stand still and have the same accuracy I have with the gun rested."

thats my main issue. everybody is a vasily even the guys with mp40. its just a question now of who right clicks and presses shift first. all my hopes now are on the pacific or vietnam mod. bugs will be fixed, no question about it, but the features/mechanics won't really.

they use to say ro 1 was realistic. ro 2 is like a completely different game now and they claim this is realistic. resting your gun shouldn't even be needed, pretty much shift button is your arm rest now. and scope apparently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you guys should make up your minds.

There's this thread that complains that there is too much camping and then the "Has RO2 turn into Day of Defeat?" with the more fast-paced arcade-y style gameplay.

I think it shows that the game is balanced when people are saying it's run and gun and others are saying it's a campfest

Reactions: grothesj2
Upvote 0
What I really wanted to say, is that it's too easy to kill enemies, I can camp or be aggressive, but still get a tons of kills, it's just that camping is easier to me. I've never had like 30-40 kills each game in RO:OST. But here, just give me a decent semi auto or automatic gun and I rank up pretty fast :(

Upvote 0
As long as your in the capzone camping doesn't exist in RO.Its a war sim not a arcadish death match type game(TE,CD anyway).If your playing the attacking side and your out of the zone camping your wrong.You can get 100 kills and still loose the match.

I tell people all the time if you like to camp play the defending side if you like to charge and have little patients or suffer from ADD play the attackers.For them it should be an all out rush until the end of the match only stop to cap a zone.

I can see how people from other games can hate camping in death match type matches.As a war sim its just sound defense though no one in war said stop camping this building guys its too hard to assault.

If you get tired of camping charge! the caps as an attacker. I love trying to crack good defenses and getting kills in their capzone give ya alot! more points ;)

Upvote 0
I think it shows that the game is balanced when people are saying it's run and gun and others are saying it's a campfest

Exactly. The RO1 crowd is disappointed because they feel the pace is way to fast, and the arcade FPS shooter player is disappointed because the pace is way to slow.

People will never be satisfied with any changes to existing formulas. RO2 is not RO1. Not even close. Is that a bad thing? No. It's evolved into something different, something new. I find it very exciting, and think that RO2 can really revolutionize FPSs, especially if it's making everyone across the board seriously rethink how they play the game.

Of course, most of the people here on the forums don't want to rethink how they play. They just want the same tired old strategies to work in every new format they are presented with.

Trust me, guys. Learn the game. Try new things. Practice, practice, practice. We're all noobs again. RO2 is a new beast. Stop trying to treat it like your old haunts. It's not.

Upvote 0