• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game wont launch

grazr

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
  • Verify Steam cache. Right-click on KF2 in Steam Library > Properties > Local Files > [Verify Integrity]
  • Running the .exe redist files located in your SteamApps/common/killingfloor2/_CommonRedist location
  • Update any device drivers you have to the latest available
  • Delete your documents/my games/Killing Floor 2/ folder directory completely
  • Disconnect USB controllers and other HID devices except for keyboard and mouse
  • Restart Steam client
  • Launch Steam (or set the game .exe) to launch as an Administrator
  • Turn off DxTory
Following the above procedures:

Game cache is verified.
Complete re-install just in case anyway. No change.
*Can't try second one as _CommonRedist folder doesn't exist; or at least as far as i can find.
Drivers updated.
DirectX updated (installer said up to date).
.net updated (installer said up to date).
Deleted the KF2 directory in My Games to no avail.
No other HID devices connected.
Steam and PC restarted.
Launching as administrator changes nothing.
*Don't know what DxTory is.

*are issues i could use help with, but the following info might also help:

Running the game directly from the executable returns the error message "the code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR100.dll was not found, reinstalling the program may fix this problem" (it didn't). The missing dll hints at an issue with C++, but i have already reinstalled this as part of my trouble shooting.

Steam is in the process of centralizing all the redistributable packages all the games on Steam use. Game devs progressively go to this new method of distributing and using the redistributable package.

Games on Steam in the long term will not distribute these redistributables packages like vcredist, dotnet, directx, physx and so on.. along with the game files but will use the 'Steam ones' found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Steamworks Shared that mean overall you Steam folder will get lighter and games download can also be reduced in size because of that, because you will not have multiple times the same redistributables packages in multiple game installations but only one time the redistributable needed package in the Steam folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Steamworks Shared

That means most of games and all in the future, will use the centralized redistributable packages instead of the ones randomly provided in games (and KF 2 apparently already shifted to this new system) so no more redistributables package in the game _CommonRedist folder because it doesn't exist anymore and KF2 needed package are now found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Steamworks Shared along with all other redistributables packages needed for all your Steam installed games.

Basically reinstall everything found in there C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Steamworks Shared by right clicking on the executables/setup and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Regarding your error I would say first try only with vcredist 2010 and see if it fixes your issue, then if not, proceed with full reinstallation of all needed redistributables packages KF 2 requires (can see the list here for KF2 https://steamdb.info/app/232090/depots/ or for any game at SteamDB look for all the "Shared Install Depot" they should be these redistributables packages required to run the game):

VC 2010 Redist
VC 2012 Redist
VC 2015 Redist
DirectX Jun 2010 Redist
.NET 3.5 Redist
.NET 4.5.2 Redist
PhysX System Software 9.14.0702

So look for and execute as administrator all the setup/install/executable files in the corresponding folders

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, very informative, thank you. I have found the relevant locations, in said redist 2010 fodler there are 2 applications for the vcredist, an x64 and an x86. Does it matter which one i process?

edit: nvm, i did x64 and it's working.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0