• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Game scale question ??

Amizaur

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Gdansk, Poland
Can I ask what is official game scale RO is based on ? How much unreal units is one meter ?

I ask because I thought it was the "official" 52.43 units. In RoAntiVehicleProjectile similar conversion factor is used for displaying meter distance:

MeterDistance = VSize(Distance)/52.48;

But now I see than in RoBallistic projectile a scale is definied as:

const ScaleFactor = 18.4; // 18.4 unreal units = 1 foot in our game.
const ScaleFactorInverse = 0.0543; // 1/Scalefactor

If 18.4 uu are 1 foot, and one foot is 0.3048m (1m = 3.2808ft), then one meter in ballistic calcs would be 18.4*3.2808 = 60.37 uu. Two different scales are used in game ?? Which one is correct ? Are vehicles, people, and shooting distances (ballistics) scaled by the same factor or different ?

Some gun sights seemed to be scaled wrong for 52.43 - projectiles were too high at 1000m distance measured in map editor with 52.43 scale (or displayed by debug in RoAntivehicleProjectile: MeterDistance = VSize(Distance)/52.48). So sights were scaled for 1m = 60.36uu ?? (BTW other gunsights were scalled ok for 52.43, like Tiger, and too short if 60.36 was used).
Just checked that projectile speed seem calculated with 60.36 factor - 935m/s for Panther is calculated to be 56427.

But at the same time ago I measured vehicle speed in game. And 40km/h was OK, but calculated it 52.43 factor (time to drive 100m = 5243uu distance) !! If I used 60.37, result would be off.

I'd like to know because I'm not sure how to scale new tank and Panzerfaust sights :-/

P.S. I hope 52.xx is the correct scale, easier to change one factor in ROBallisticProjectile, projectile speeds (and maybe gunsight corrections) than rescale whole game... Not sure if the ScaleFactor in RoBallisticProjectile used to anything important...? Other than debug ?

Last edited:
Thanks. I have nothing to do with mapmaking so far, so I didn't search there yet. Now to summary:

vehicles, people and probably all objects seem to be scaled by 60.352
projectile speed is scaled by 60.352, later modified by speedfudge but trajectory is for that speed

firing distances (so penetration tables) are scaled by 52.48
gunsight ranges are scaled apparently by the same as above, for targets at 1000*60.35 range with 1000m setting the shells fall short, for targets at 1000*50.43 they fall ok or a little high, so it's probably by 50.48

the map distances are probably scaled by 60.35 as written in Mapping FAQ.

the vehicle speed from my single measurement seem to be scaled by 50.48. I had a 100*50.43 range distance on map, and measured run time of a tank at full speed and compared it with the gauge reading. It showed 40km/h and from distance/time calculation I got also nearly 40km/h.
I have to measure is once again and try to check if the game time scale is exactly 1:1 because from the length of reload times, seems that time in game runs a little 1.15x faster. But maybe this is just sound play time. edit: vehicle speed is probably ok, 60.352, after second check

So I guess that best would be to standarise it to 60.352. That would take changing the MeterDistance scaling in ROAntiVehicleProjectile form 52.48 to 60.35 and readjusting all gunsight corrections.
And taking look at the vehicle speed displayed on the gauge by what factor is it calculated, it may be 52.48 too though I'm not sure.

Could this go into next patch ?

Currently I'm not positively... not ready to make work of readjusting all gunsights, so I will leave 52.48 factor for firing distances, and 60.35 factored muzzle velocities, too fast speed will be adjusted by speedfudge factor = 0.8. But in the future I will probably recalculate everything to 60.35 and do those sights (if it's not done in a patch in the meantime).

Sorry for, otester as I advised him to calculate speed/distanced by 52.43. Distances ARE currently calculated by 52.48, but to standarise and avoid need for later updating, better use 60.352 and you'll be ready for the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0