• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Mode (Abandoned Survivor - No Trader Only Random Spawns)

BrickWallbody

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 30, 2020
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before; I have an idea for a game mode and in the slim chance Tripwire would see it, I decided to share it. I would also love to hear feedback from the community too!

Abandoned Survivor Mode. There's no trader but still down time between rounds. The down time is a chance to search for ammo and a random on perk weapon that spawns for you. The weapon would be scaled according to the current wave (i.e. tier 2 = wave 2-3 spawn chance Tier 3 = wave 3-4 spawn chance) There is also a small chance that no weapon spawns at all, thus forcing you to work with what you had during the previous wave. If you don't find a weapon before down time expires, tough stuff, you gotta keep searching or stand your ground into the next wave. Spawn rates and spawn types would scale according to match length, difficulty level, player count and even the map.

I believe this would create a new dynamic between players. Communication and resource management would be highly critical even during the down time between rounds. Players could spread out to find as much as they could and return to the group to share the loot. giving on perk weapons to teammates, etc. A new level of challenge would be added from this mode for veteran players. I play mostly solo and I would fully enjoy this experience even solo. The challenge would be higher, especially for solo. The survivalist perk would shine in such a mode because of the jack of all trades factor. No matter the drops, the survivalist would be ready for action. Adding controllable metrics to the lobby (i.e. sliders that give control to drops, low - med - high settings ect) would be a great way to have custom scaling for the players but that may add too much of a development burden. That could also be an interesting way to have the player base help with balancing this mode.

The first major issue that comes to mind would be maps. I am not entirely certain this mode would work well or at all for some maps. The smaller maps would suffer because searching for loot would be easier and that level of challenge would be removed. Additional scaling would be a likely remedy but I still imagine the smaller maps suffering. To fix that, adding a map pool for this mode could work. Having enemies loot drop could help this too. Another issue would be the A-Hole factor. Of course this is an issue no matter what mode or even game you play online BUT this mode would amplify that factor. Playing solo or exclusively with friends would be the solution but having in game solutions would be interesting too. Adding a harsher penalty for off perk weapon use could help combat the A-Hole factor and possible weapon stealing BUT this would make the mode even harder for the rest of us. Which may be good if adding a challenge is the focus. I am a-ok with making this game punishingly difficult. As a KF1 and KF2 vet, I'd love a new challenge.

I am a big KF fan. I took a long break from KF2 and recently came back. It's still so good! and while I was playing solo a few days ago, this idea came to me. Let me know what you think!