• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Isnt Like ROOST

I was expecting ROOST's depth with more fluid gameplay. They definitely improved the way the game feels and there are also some really nice additions, but I think they might have dealt with the learning curve a bit harshly.

-They could have removed shooting guns out of peoples' hands and still left some form of penalty for being shot in various other places. The wound system was what made RO stand out, and it's also one of the reasons I bought it; it's kind of a shame it's implementation wasn't similar this time around.

-While I don't think it's a proper replacement for injuries, I do like the bandaging concept. However, I think I have a problem with bleedout/bandage speeds. When you get shot, it's a no brainer - you can either die in 5 seconds or you can heal it. Why not give me 2 free wounds and save me the hassle? We'll just pretend that my adrenaline prevented me from dying.

-Guns could use a little more sway under certain conditions IMO. Some sway for being out of breath or standing unsupported would promote better use of tactics and even some of the game's own features.

-Tanks...ok, the AI crew is kind of nifty, but do you really want to encourage that kind of behavior in a team based game? Why not let those individuals go lone wolf and get their asses handed to them so their team can vote them out of the slot? I'm also aware that there are complaints about not being able to exit, but I'm kind of on the fence here because there are good arguments for both sides.

-Everything bound to one key; everything toggle...WHY?! I admit, I've kind of gotten used to most of it, but why did the controls have to be so limited? I suppose I cant complain about this too much since most of those functions (I think) can be re-scripted in the ini, but it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

I still enjoy the game a bunch, but I cant help but feel disappointed with some of the design choices.

Upvote 0
Game is okay, honestly nothing special. It certainly doest have the "magic" roost had.

Too simplified, lacks authenticity, too easy, bad design choices, etc. Worst of all it doesn't cater well to hardcore realism fans like roost did.

Personally I think this excitment will be short lived. Roost was fun because it was challenging and complex. Once the shineyness of ro2 wears off I think most of will realize it is a shallow game; lot of inital "wows" but no real substabce.

I will definitly rebuy this game during the inevitable steam summer sale, when the mods have come in and the children have all left for the newest gimmicky fps.

Upvote 0
Bayonets didn't have an effect on aiming in RO1 either. Injuries is something that would've been cool to have, I agree but still, it wasn't in ro1 either.

So no features have REALLY been removed. Yes, detachable bayo was neato, but a useless feature cos it had no downsides.

Wrong wrong and wrong, bayonet DID have an effect. It made your weapon less accurate.

Upvote 0
My main flaw with RO2. Wheres this destruction system I heard so much about?

So far I've seen 0 destruction in RO2. The only ones i've seen is either a Tree poofing into thin air when a tank runs it over.

All the destruction I've seen in RO2 could of easily been done in RO1, oh what it was! Remember sactheling huge walls and making holes in them, on maps like Stalingrad Kessel? Yeh that was a really simple destruction where you have 2 meshs, 1 destroyed and 1 not. When it takes enough damage the meshs switch. This is exactly is on RO2 with things like the Train Carts blowing up on Station.

I want to see tanks ramming through Brick Walls and Sandbags! I wanted to see Pioniere blowing small holes into walls to make their way into the building. I wanted to see little fences break into peices from MG fire (BIA:HH Same Game Engine)

Was I the only one dreaming about this while waiting for RO2?

Upvote 0

So far I've seen 0 destruction in RO2. The only ones i've seen is either a Tree poofing into thin air when a tank runs it over.

All the destruction I've seen in RO2 could of easily been done in RO1, oh what it was! Remember sactheling huge walls and making holes in them, on maps like Stalingrad Kessel? Yeh that was a really simple destruction where you have 2 meshs, 1 destroyed and 1 not. When it takes enough damage the meshs switch. This is exactly is on RO2 with things like the Train Carts blowing up on Station.

I want to see tanks ramming through Brick Walls and Sandbags! I wanted to see Pioniere blowing small holes into walls to make their way into the building. I wanted to see little fences break into peices from MG fire (BIA:HH Same Game Engine)

No man I thought it would be like this as well. The most I've seen is blowing holes in basement walls on Commissar's House. I want to drive a tank through a wall, I want to put satchel charges in buildings and have them half collapse on me, I want some use for my goddamn explosives!!!

Upvote 0
TBH I would be fine with RO2 being nothing more than ROOST with great graphics. That doesn't mean that is what I want, merely I would've settle for that.

If you aren't a RO1 fanatic who loves everything about RO1 (even the flaws), just take a moment to appreciate how high a lot of our expectations were. Its not that we are ungrateful bastards who come here purely to whine, we simply had expectations that didn't match up entirely with reality.

I love RO2, and predict I will play it for a long time to come. Yet there are certain apsects of RO1 that weren't broken and didn't need fixing.

2 cents

Upvote 0

I am also disappointed about that maybe our imagination gone wild, now I get stuck with a tank at a bigger tree hmmm.

Upvote 0
The weight of the bayonet is negligible compared to the rest of the rifle.

Well in reality its not negligible. It does have SOME effect on it. It should, I mean. It had a little effect in ostfront but if you were shooting a bolt action while standing you were probably getting killed a lot anyway so in effect, when it comes to gameplay...it is pretty much negligible. Most people can find a way to rest their weapon before shooting which would negate the bayo's weight.

Upvote 0

Agreed. Destruction is really minor league in RO2. Trees look silly when they are ran over or shot with AT gun. I thought the same thing when I read "destructible environments". RO2 is rather stale already and it's too late to cancel, so I figure the mods will liven things up a bit.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a shallow game at all. They have added depth and smoothed out ideas that were quaint but clunky in Ostfront. Red Orchestra is very much still a tactical shooter. Maybe even moreso, the way people are complaining about how deadly it is. In fact I can't wait for the release so I can REALLY sink my teeth in.

Upvote 0
Yep, you have a point there, but it has been exchanged for "You are bleeding, so please stop a second and use this magical bandage" thing.

Just to pop in here with my two cents....

1st, the weapon being shot out of your hand, I never once assumed it was from getting a bullet through your hand or a finger blown off..... a bullet hit your weapon and the impact knocked it out of your hand.

It's kind of like in baseball when you hit the ball the wrong way and the impact gives you a bit of a shock to your hands where it hurts for a bit..... I dunno, I haven't played baseball since I was a little kid, but the above was my understanding.

2nd, the bleeding and bandaging of wounds to me isn't like you've been critically hit and you're magically healed, nor are you trying to pry the bullet out of your leg with your teeth like in FarCry2.

If you're critically hit or a bullet is lodged into your body, then you have the blackout death where you're alive for a few seconds until you finally die.

The bandaged wounds are more like when a bullet goes through your body, misses any critical areas, but if you do nothing about it for a while, you'll bleed out and die.

I've been wounded a few times in RO2 and couldn't bandage up right away. I still had a good period of time to shoot the bad guy, run back around cover, my vision started to fade and go black, then bandaged myself to stop the bleed out.....

Added:

As it goes for what wasn't put into RO2 from RO1.... maybe we should go back to the UT2k4 mod days where when a weapon was dropped, you had to pick up every individual round and clip that went with the weapon ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bugs aside, there are many things that I don't like about RO2, e.g., spawning on a squad leader was one of the reasons I played RO:OST and not BC2; however, the things that I like about it outweigh the things I don't. RO2 still plays like RO:OST at its core, which is something that BC2 could never accomplish. Plus, with the release of the SDK there will be plenty of variety.

Upvote 0