• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game freezes while loading Zeds

DeliriousX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 15, 2010
I haven't found anyone else with this problem -- even on this forum -- so I'm not expecting much luck, but here goes: The game has no problems starting up, or even loading maps... The problem comes on each wave, the first time I see a new type of Zed, it freezes for 10-20 seconds. The first time a Clot enters my line of sight, or a Bloat, or whatever, it freezes. After that, it doesn't freeze again for that type of Zed, but obviously it's a long enough freeze to get me seriously hurt or killed when I'm playing by myself. When it changes maps, or if I change servers, it happens again. I think it's some kind of zed skin cache problem, but I've got no idea.

I've tried several different things to solve the problem, but to no avail:
-Setting graphics settings to Medium, Low, and even Lowest.
-Changing Render Devices. I tried D3D 8, 9, OpenGL, and even Software.
-Running in lower resolutions, non-widescreen, and even windowed mode.
-Setting Engine.GameEngine's CacheSizeMegs to 256.
-Changing all the Precache variables to false.
-Verifying Integrity of Game Cache through Steam.
-Uninstalling (and deleting the KillingFloor folder) and Reinstalling the game.
-Excluding the KillingFloor folder from the Anti-Virus.
-Defragging the system, and letting Steam defrag KF.
-Verifying system page file size was at the recommended amount.
-Combinations of the above.

None of these things worked, so now I'm out of ideas.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4 GHz)
GFX: nVidia GeForce 8700M GT (512 MB VRAM)
RAM: 3 GB DDR2
HDD: 250 GB (about 5 GB free)

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Last edited:
Same problem here , this happens anytime a new type of zed spawns; i tried everything from defrag the files to use lower settings ( wich is annoying considering that i have always used the max settings and i never had any problem before , Even when the game had for sometime this same issue in the past ) , this could be realy annoying specialy in the first waves.
It cant be a problem with my pc specs but anyway here they are :

Dual core 2.81 AMD
Graphic card : ati radeon HD 4350 1 giga Gddr 3
4 gigas memory ram
HD 500 gigas with more than half free.

Upvote 0
New discovery: On Solo, the freeze never happens except on the Patriarch. On Multiplayer, the length of the freezes seems to vary based on my latency. I'll test this with the Dynamic Netspeed option enabled and see if there's a difference, but it would seem odd that a networking-related issue would cause the client to freeze.

Oh, and I should probably add I'm not using custom skins or any external nonesense.

Upvote 0