• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Engins !!!

Well, I am creating this thread because I am curious of what people think of different game engins...

I am no programmer, and I would love to hear people's opinions on different engins...

Here is my list of engins that I think are pretty good... correct me if I am wrong :)

FarCry.
Graphics are great... tho I do not think that is engin specific.
overall, I loved the game and found it really smooth.
The entire world of FarCry is well made, AI was brilliant, Vehicles were pretty decent.

Battlefield2.
I think the engin isnt all that bad at all... but its been messed up with other things such as exagerated detail, and overall... the game has so many bugs.

UT2004.
Very good. Could be better but very good overall.

FEAR...

I am less then a coding newbi... so I know my post might look really stupid...
I would like it if someone can explain to me exactly what an engin is and what I should look for to make opinions that make sence...

Right now, my opinion is based on how smooth is runs, the ingame options such as getting in vehicles, climbing ladders or things of that nature, loading times...

If there are any 1337 Coders that can show and explain the light to a curious Junior Networking admin... I would greatly appreciate it...

Quake 1 engine
Quake 2 engine
Quake 3 engine

All three of them ground breaking at their time and have been platforms for a gazillion other "moded" engines (*cought* HL1 *cought*) and games.

Unreal Engine

Also ground breaking at it's time and also been used in a gazillion different games.

LithTech engine

Awesome engine when it was released really good graphics for its time but kind of overseen and unused.

Upvote 0
Unreal engine is my favourite, and I own more titles made using it than any other. Consistantly used my different developers, and it's been quite long standing since it's first version.

The Lithtech engine is also totally overlooked all of the time and also deserves credit.

I think the source engine has amazing potential, but so far has been used in generally sloppy games (HL2/Vampire - I'm not saying it doesnt look nice, but frequent long load times and some other things really annoy me)

But, from what I've seen Arcane are going to show us what it can do with Dark Messiah.

Upvote 0
SheepDip said:
The Lithtech engine is also totally overlooked all of the time and also deserves credit.
Well it's basically Quake 3, only less advanced and easier to code.

SheepDip said:
I think the source engine has amazing potential, but so far has been used in generally sloppy games (HL2/Vampire - I'm not saying it doesnt look nice, but frequent long load times and some other things really annoy me)

But, from what I've seen Arcane are going to show us what it can do with Dark Messiah.
Yeah, Source is a masterpiece, only it could be used much better.
What it lacks IMO is the ability to run with super high-resolution textures and it's limited props. (hence why it has such small maps)

Upvote 0
I still think nothing beats the Unreal engines for scalability. They can run on HP boxed computers or custom made gaming rigs, and still look good.

id's engines tend to look better, IMO, but definately need more power. Q3 was almost as flexible as U2, but definately needed more of a box to run it. Doom 3 created great looking environments, cool effects, good use of textures, so on and so forth but took a ton of power to use to its fullest.

Source, meh. I agree that it could be great but has been under-utilized. Dark Messiah should change that :)

Upvote 0
Cryengine is very nice, I think FarCry has some of the best looking and above all else best running outdoor environments ever seen in a game yet. It's shame noone else has used it, you could make a kick arse Vietnam game with it.

I absolutely love that engine and the new pumped up version (for FarCry 2 I think) should even have night & day cycles, destructible environment and changing weather and lots of other nifty stuff. It would be a blast to play some multiplayer game on a a tropical island (FarCry's multiplayer was ****y). :D

Upvote 0