• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Engins !!!

I feel the same. Everything about the BF2 engine seems bad.
It runs badly even on a half decent system, its grossly inneffcient (After shutting the game down the PC is unusable for afew minutes while the hard drive copes with the masses of information being taken out of the RAM and whats with even simple patches coming into hundreds of megabytes and nearly every half decent mod measuring into gigabytes?). Also....it just doesn't feel right. Aiming doesn't feel natural, I know people will say "omfg, u r just t3h p00p at teh game, n00bb!!1!!1one", but Im fairly competent at gaming....but in BF2 shooting an enemy feels like such a chore. It seems sloppy and undisciplined.

Even the front-end is terrible. Slow, unresponsive mouse movement, badly designed server browser and basically all round poop. Source has a much better, smarter, professional looking front end.

THATS BECAUSE YOUR COMPUTER ****S !!!
LOL
Just kidding... thats what the spoiled BF2 lovers keep on saying... with their Super computers with 2x 7800GTX on SLI and 3 Raid Sata Drives working together to be able to rush the Helo faster then anyone else... lol

EA is lazy...
No Widescreen resolution support.
No Support for Older Pixel Shader Support (the story of the GeforceTI)

I will cut it out because I am certain that we can creat a thread where everyone will be able to post something bad about it... but you sure summarised it well !!!

I will never forget... Closing the game and for the next 5 minutes, your computer is almost unusable... and for 3 minutes of that time ...

YOU GET THE HORRIBLE BF2 MUSIC PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND...
SUCH A HORRIBLE TRACK OF MUSIC... Toom toom toom.... waonw waonw....

(tho I do miss flying a chopper)

"omfg, u r just t3h p00p at teh game, n00bb!!1!!1one",
LOL Gold....

Upvote 0
Indeed :D

My PC isnt top end but neither is it a slouch at games. Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8GHz), 1GB of DDR3200 RAM (Dual Channel), GeForce 6800GS (256MB) and brand new 250GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar. This system performs much better in other games which, to my eye, look better and more intensive. I know BF2 has larger environments, but that just means more room to cram in 64 ****wits camping the runway because "i am t3h l337 jet f1ght0r!!!!" :/

Upvote 0
But you see my point, two engines, four games, two completely different looks. Then again, the point I've just tried to make reflects poorly on me for my earlier comment on iD engines looking plasticky and bloated. Thing is though, they really do. I honestly can't think of a game based on one of the Quake/Doom engines that didn't have characters that looked overweight, weapons that looked too fat to get your hand around or characters that looked like they were made from plasticine. I don't know if it's really something in the engine or just that developers using those engines aren't creative enough to deviate from the default style.

That doesn't reflect poorly on you at all. Id's engines *do* look plasticy, very 'almost-lifelike'. Like you're playing in a giant CG environment, almost. But I think that's sort of what id is going for. They're a company that always has and openly admits to making entertaining games first. They want to appeal to as many as possible. Not that that's wrong or anything (since they don't shaft all those customers like some companies *coughEAcough*) it's just what they want to achieve. For their purposes, though, id engines are still only second to Unreal IMO. I'd love to see a realism game on the doom 3 engine that breaks from the plastic look. Mebbie a ninja game, with lots of sneaking in shadows? A new splinter-cell? Oooooooooooooooooooh, yeah!

Upvote 0
I really like HL2, and I do think you are over criticising the source engine. It is a FANTASTIC engine at doing what it does, which is realistic, belivable environments. The shaders used are brilliant, and realistic looking. It is amazingly scalable. Really, I have had it run on a 1ghz with a GF2 card in it. And it STILL looked good! Proberbly some of this can be atributed to HL2s level designers, though. Another thing Source has got going for it is the character animation. The engine has REALLY good lip synching and emotive animations. This I know is not due to designers, as Vampires: The masquareade: Bloodlines had very good animations too. And the levels are kept small because the textures, including shaders, are quite large, and they need to keep loading times down for slower PCs. Proof that the engine can handle large areas comes in the form of the Air boat and Buggy levels. These are large. Really large! Also the engine is modular, so it is quite easy to add completly new things in, such as the HDR in lost cost, or the up and coming next gen lighting render in HL2Ep2, which betters Doom 3s lighting and shadows.

The UT engine is a FANTASTIC engine though. It has support for a massive range of effects, has an easy to use map editor (not as flexible as hammer though) . The problem is, I am not sure in games powered by the UT engine how much of it is down to the engine, and how much is down to the developers. For instance, in Splinter Cell 3, a UT powered game, you have (propper) HDR, amazing shadows, great bump mapping, and also very nice sound effects (echoes, sound leaking through thin walls) but then you can look at say... Red Orchestra, where to be honest, it is VERY basic. Not a shader effect to be seen, very nice textures though. I think UT is more scalable than Source, but not by much.

The doom 3 engine, while having nearly every shader effect under the sun, including some REALLY clever ones, such as paralex mapping, which makes 2d surfaces look 3d, so when you move around them, what you see changes. Unfortunatly a downside of all these shaders is that it has the inherant effect of making everything look plasticy, , and having too dark shadows. This is proberbly because they act real, but the game does not factor the fact that real light bounces off things, it is why if you are in a room with one light source, you can still see stuff that your shadow lands on. It also eats ATI cards for breakfast, due to it being Open GL based, which the ATI drivers have problems on. It seems to be quite scalable, with tweaks, but not in game. (People have got doom 3 running on a voodoo 3, iirc)
I have not used Doom 3s editor, so I cannot comment on it.

Upvote 0
I like UnrealEngine (obviously I'm biased).. reasons being it is _very_ moddable, and almost everything you've learned on the previous engine (well.. mapping anyhow) is still applicable in the next-gen engine.

If you learn UE2.5, which as is often pointed out a bit dated, you shoudl be able to carry the bulk of that knowledge over to UE3.. first game of which hits the shelves later this year IIRC (or UT2k7 next year)..

To be fair here, I haven't dorked with many other engines to any extent.

Upvote 0