• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game crashing on launch after splashscreens

Dangar

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 10, 2019
Posting here because I've exhausted every other option.

For the past 6 months at least, I've been having a recurring, unsolvable issue with RS2. Every time I open the game, it plays the splash screens, gives me half a second where the music starts and I can move my mouse, then it freezes for a few seconds and crashes. It does this every single time, consistently without fail. I have consulted every single fix for every single other problem but apparently this one has either never appeared before, or there is no fix. Posting here out of desperation because I have made 3-4 support tickets and they've been closed without any kind of answer every single time.

From my searching I've actually found something peculiar, I don't have a _commonredist file in my game files anywhere, I don't know how to fix this or what is causing this as far as I'm aware it's never installed with one.

From checking the logs, they just stop. I never get a bugsplat, the logs never say anything about errors, they just stop.
I've deleted ROGame in "My games" and verified or launched without verification 10+ times, nothing changes.
I've reinstalled the game completely 7-8 times.
I've reinstalled and repaired EAC.
I've run steam in administrator mode.
I've turned off my anti-virus and whitelisted both EAC and RS2.
I've reinstalled drivers, C++ redistributables, .NET framework
I've run it in windowed

I'm at the end of my rope, I really enjoy the game but so far I've only had trouble. Hopefully this will give me something.