• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game crashes as soon as I try to load it.

Tetragonos

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 17, 2011
Ok so I am going to do this step by step so that I cover every thing.

Get on steam look for game to play

Find Dwarfs!? on steam

buy Dwarfs!?

Install Dwarfs!?

go to play Dwarfs, little steam window that launches all games pops up.

immediately after window goes away windows 7 tells me "Dwarfs!? has stopped working" looking for a solution to the problem.

I try again a few times

I restart the computer

I delete the game and redownload it, a few times

I got to Steam support.

I go through their check list and attempt to initiate the game installation via files in the game folder. this has no effect. I

find that when I "Verify integrity of Game cashe" that one file doesn't check out.

Said file automatically downloads. it still has the same problem.

I run the verification again. file detected downloaded and when i run it again immediately afterwards it has the same problem.

Problem detected. Steam has 1 wrong file.

Go back to Steam support. Get sent here. Any help would be appreciated, if my style in this post was annoying I apologise but I think this is the best way to convey this whole process so that no information is left out and that the information is transmitted to you in a simple format that is harder to screw up.

This bug happened to me on trying out the demo.

Steam is well known to have a mechanism to install such dependencies, and the bug was first reported 6 days ago, I can't say this is endearing.

This is not due to a bug in the game...It is a problem with how the XNA installer (microsoft property like DirectX) works or more or less not works.
I can mostly give steam two commands for the installer run it for everyone every time you start or only run once.(Most people where getting mad cause the installer started every time so i went with option 2) Often the problem is that you might have XNA 4.1 but to play our game you need 3.5. The installer will think that you already have XNA. But this is wrong you only have the 4.1. We are sorry about this, we might find a magic way to fix it. But for now just going into the depends folder installing XNA will most likely help you.

Upvote 0
Hi, I just bought Dwarfs!? and got the same issue as everyone else. I'm gonna ask gently, because I feel like raging a lot right now XD. Let me explain:

First: I get the error Dwarfs has stopped working
Second: I search and find this forum and lots of others saying the same solutions
Third: I install XNA 3.1....still the same error
Fourth: I install the DX from the depends folder.....still then same error
Fifth: I try installing the .NET 3.5.....asks me to uninstall previous versions
Sixth: I uninstall them and restart the PC
Seventh: I try installing .NET 3.5 AGAIN!! asks me to go into turn windows features on or off thingy....I do so and try everything linked with .NET (checked or unchecked)
Eighth: I restart the pc again as asked
Ninth: I try installing .NET 3.5 AGAINNN!!! and get the same stupid error asking me to go into turn on or off windows features...

So there I am...I bought your game for 10$ and tried every ****ty stuff I should TOTALLY NOOOT have to do to play a game I buy....I repeat nobody should have to do such thing to play a game they bought...It is YOUR job to make sure your game works with the stuff out there(.net, xna and dx) or make sure your setup corrects it all by itself. And due to steam not giving any refunds...I am stuck there.

So, PLEASE....explain me how to correct this mistake of yours so I can finally play this seemed-to-be-cool-before-this game.

Upvote 0