• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design FYI to all the mapbuilders

resolved :

BigCut: hello
BigCut: i want to answer to your comment.
[WPC] Hemi: hello
BigCut: On every upload i added the creator name and i added the source.
[WPC] Hemi: well...this kinda obstructs the original author from uploading this themselves
[WPC] Hemi: did you ask them permission?
BigCut: no
[WPC] Hemi: there in lies the problem :)
BigCut: i thought it would be a good idea
BigCut: to upload those maps to the workshop
BigCut: a lot of map is hosted on other sites even on one click hosters
BigCut: if it is a problem
BigCut: i remove them
[WPC] Hemi: the workshop is new, and everyone is still getiing used to it. And you have to give the authors a chance to upload their stuff
[WPC] Hemi: I think the modders would be gratefull if you did m8 :)
[WPC] Hemi: otherwise it will get very confusing
[WPC] Hemi: workshop will eventually become the official place to get all the original work see
BigCut: ok i will make it to private. at least those i would like to use until someone reupload.
[WPC] Hemi: yeah that could work :)
BigCut: is this acceptable?
BigCut: ok
BigCut: i do this now
[WPC] Hemi: thanks!
BigCut: np and sorry for the trouble
[WPC] Hemi: np, enjoy the game and the mods we make :)
BigCut: :)

how mature, right? :p

Upvote 0
As long as he makes it all private. Otherwise what happens if a map author releases their map and it already exists because BigCut/someone else released it, but, with a poor description and pictures of it? Then people will get false ideas about someone's project before they get to present it themselves. Just my opinion as a mapper. I already released all mine but I would feel sorry for other mappers who don't get to present their projects on their own. If he keeps it all private then w/e.

Upvote 0
As long as he makes it all private. Otherwise what happens if a map author releases their map and it already exists because BigCut/someone else released it, but, with a poor description and pictures of it? Then people will get false ideas about someone's project before they get to present it themselves. Just my opinion as a mapper. I already released all mine but I would feel sorry for other mappers who don't get to present their projects on their own. If he keeps it all private then w/e.

plus, if the original mapper wanted to make any changes, they may never see the light of day because people would still no doubt be downloading the one originally put up and the new version would be over looked.

so, nice work there Hemi. I know the guy meant well but you did the right thing to confront him, from a modders point of view.

Upvote 0
hehe thanks BD. And to give the guy some credit, he did respond quite fast and didnt have a problem moving the maps private.

Though it might be a good idea if people start uploading the finished maps, to prevent these incidents maybe? Hence why im uploading my mods asap. :)

Upvote 0
That workshop thingy is quite confusing, hopefully everything went right when I uploaded my files.

Some tips from hemi :

After you selected all the needed files in the SDK, you have to create a preview icon for in the workshop itself. The best resolution for this little image is 300x300 pixels. The "description" field is a tad buggy in the SDK, so best to do that in steam itself. Just set your mod/map private before upload so you can edit your release page in your own time.

The actual slide show images are best uploaded on a resolution of 1600x900. This way they fill out the entire height and width.

Upvote 0
Personally I wouldnt want anyone to upload my content without at least asking a permission for it first. Just the other day a friend of mine noticed some guy uploaded Carden Hill and all he did was provide a link to the site where he originally downloaded it from (and funnilly enough I didnt upload the map there either).

The problem is, he gets listed as the author of the content and like braindead and Swift said, it can seriously mess things up for the original author in case he wants to upload his content.

After that I kinda got in a hurry and uploaded all my maps there to avoid confusion...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I wouldnt want anyone to upload my content without at least asking a permission for it first. Just the other day a friend of mine noticed some guy uploaded Carden Hill and all he did was provide a link to the site where he originally downloaded it from (and funnilly enough I didnt upload the map there either).

The problem is, he gets listed as the author of the content and like braindead and Swift said, it can seriously mess things up for the original author in case he wants to upload his content.

After that I kinda got in a hurry and uploaded all my maps there to avoid confusion...

It is kind of an unfortunate side effect of the new workshop. With the good there is always bad. You know, the whole "double edged sword" thing.

My advice (to modders) is to post up your content asap under private viewing first. Take your time making all the pics and videos look nice, then switch it to public.

Upvote 0
I dont mind this aslong the mapper isnt there to upload it anymore, I have seen people uploading other people's maps because the original mappers are too lazy to do that and I would like to see these maps on workshop, but yeah credits would be good

The way I see it, the Workshop wasn't made to be filled with every map and mod ever made, just because it's there.
I thought it was a place for mappers/modders to showcase their work and be able to update their mods/maps on the fly.

If the original modder/mapper isn't around any more, then their original links should be the only ones available and only ever need updating, if the original creator decided to come out of the wood work and post it up themselves but until then, the original is now redundant and isn't required to be put on the Workshop, unless the original creator wants it to be.

and unless the original creator has fallen off the face of the earth, they would be aware of the Workshop and thus, come and upload their work. However, some people may feel that their work isn't good enough to put on the Workshop, which doesn't make them lazy, they just don't want to fill it with crap, just because it's there.

It isn't for anyone else to say, what should be posted up on the Workshop!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thought I would post up some interesting statistics about how powerful the workshop has been at promoting content.

The following are the total downloads of my 7 maps through 3 sites.

Mediafire: --------------------------------1,487

MODDB: ----------------------------------6,380

Steam Workshop since Sep 20:----12,236

I have done double the amount of downloads in 15 days through the Workshop than two other places combined over the course of years!

Thank you TWI, I hope you guys get the ball rolling on a faster whitelist system so that we can all play together with the amazing community content pouring out.

Upvote 0