• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Full body awareness

I'm not entirely sure how looking at your ammo belt would actually tell you how much ammo you have left anyway (unless you're a rifleman). You don't throw your empty mags in RO so all you'll look at are a bunch of pouches with clips in them, it's not going to tell you how much ammo you have in each one.

If you want to know how much ammo you have, just remember, same with grenades.

Don't get me wrong its a nice idea, but it doesn't seem overly useful. Considering how much work I think it'd take to implement. Just (for example) consider the weapon models, in OFP or Riddick the weapon models are the same in both first and third person. In RO there are 2 seperate weapon models, your first person one, and the one that is seen by everyone else. Of course the one seen in third person is of considerably lesser detail.
The same applies for the player model itself, the arms and hands you see in first person are considerably more detailed than those of the third person models.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not entirely sure how looking at your ammo belt would actually tell you how much ammo you have left anyway (unless you're a rifleman). You don't throw your empty mags in RO so all you'll look at are a bunch of pouches with clips in them, it's not going to tell you how much ammo you have in each one.

Don't get me wrong its a nice idea, but it doesn't seem overly useful. Considering how much work I think it'd take to implement. Just (for example) consider the weapon models, in OFP or Riddick the weapon models are the same in both first and third person. In RO there are 2 seperate weapon models, your first person one, and the one that is seen by everyone else. Of course the one seen in third person is of considerably lesser detail.
The same applies for the player model itself, the arms and hands you see in first person are considerably more detailed than those of the third person models.

Maybe you could look inside your open ammo pouch how many magazines you have. In the heat of the battle you don't remember, you are focusing killing enemies. Yes this would demand lot of work, becouse you have to fix sky looking and clipping problems. In OFP there is also clipping through some walls, you can see it yourself becouse 1st and 3rd person view is same. But when you clip through wall, you can't see anything becouse your view is also blocked. Maybe body awareness would prevent ROs clipping bug also or make it useless.

Upvote 0

Well, obviously a descent soldier doesn't put his emptied mags in the pouch were his full/half-full mags are. :D
Well, you still can use first-person models, but that means every soldier you see within a couple of thousands of UU's will also have the same impact.

Anyway, graphics aren't RO's strongest point so... I still hope to see it one day. :)

Upvote 0
If you're talking about having the same model for 1st and 3rd person: I'm not for it. All the hard work spent on excellent 1st person weapon models (one of RO's strongpoints) down the drain.

Moreover: To do it well means signigficant performance drop. Unless you do it like in OFP where insted of reloading the gun the avatar pads it a few times while making a clicking voice with his tongue (with his hands sometimes disappearing in the weapon too).

However if you've played Trespasser you'd see that the boobs are acually nothing more than a texture modeled under you "nose". Although your arms are indeed "3rd person", you're still just a bunch of arms and boobs floating around in the world (no legs etc.)

I think something like that should be possible even with having seperate 1st and 3rd person weapon models.

Upvote 0
If you're talking about having the same model for 1st and 3rd person: I'm not for it. All the hard work spent on excellent 1st person weapon models (one of RO's strongpoints) down the drain.
I'm not talking about dumping the 1st person models.

Instead, use the first person models (arms and guns) for first-person view and syncronize them with the third-person models. (Thanks Yoshi. :D)

Moreover: To do it well means signigficant performance drop. Unless you do it like in OFP where insted of reloading the gun the avatar pads it a few times while making a clicking voice with his tongue (with his hands sometimes disappearing in the weapon too).[/quote]That's because it has solid meshes which cannot be animated.

That's the ancient Poseidon (Real Virtuality 1) engine.
However if you've played Trespasser you'd see that the boobs are acually nothing more than a texture modeled under you "nose". Although your arms are indeed "3rd person", you're still just a bunch of arms and boobs floating around in the world (no legs etc.)
True, this is body awareness and not full body awareness.

I think something like that should be possible even with having seperate 1st and 3rd person weapon models.[/quote]

Upvote 0
SgtHenry, your ideas are always great but nearly always impractical. It seems like you are a little megalomaniac.:p
Well, I do remember alot of people were against manual bolting and now seem to praise it? :confused:
Also, to cut the entusiasm:
Just because you have full body awareness doesn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's because it has solid meshes which cannot be animated.
Now guess why these are solid meshes and not fully animated weaponmodels... Lazyness? Inability? Enginelimitations?
Or maybe because of performance reasons??;)

Yes, and body awareness means everybody will have a seperate set of animations? :?
Read again please...
I said that in Riddick the body awareness isn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I definetly agree this suggestion. It is great and only way to fix "helmet" snipers and wall through leaners. I guess RO already uses synchronized models, but it is synchronization which causes these problems, sky shooters, leaning problems and "helmet" snipers. Only better way to do it is adding body awereness and getting rid of first person models entirely. First person models are more detailed, but not usefull, they are only trying to make game look better. But 3rd person models are quite detailed also. Have you looked closely 3rd person models when playing in practise mode, they aren't so low detail as you may think, they have same weapon loading animations and grenade throwing animations. I think 3rd person grenade throwing animations are even better than in 1st person view.

Upvote 0
I definetly agree this suggestion. It is great and only way to fix "helmet" snipers and wall through leaners.
Why do you think that it would fix these problems? Maybe it could fix the helmetsniper problem, but it could be fixed without bodyawareness too.

It has nothing to do with people sticking into walls though.
Just play a thirdperson game and watch how easy it is to get certain bodyparts into walls.
In Jedi Knight 2 for example the lightsabe sticks into walls easily but they covered it up as a "feature" rahter than a bug by adding cool "wallburning" effects.

Upvote 0