• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Full Body Awareness for the 1st person view

The_Emperor

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2009
Milkyway
Once again a suggestion for animations, the topic yet tells it: Full Body Awareness (FBA).
For people who can't imagine this right now: As you're looking to the ground ingame you don't see your feet, legs and the lower body. This is not very realistic as you're actually a left hand (sometimes a right one also), holding a weapon, and you're flying across the level like a ghost.

This discussion yet took place about Ostfront in another forums, here's the most funny one I found which is against the FBA: "But when looking down you could shoot your own feet. I'm sure several noobs would do that."

Well, I believe it truly gives atmosphere. Look as you're dead you can see the whole body in its ragdoll behaviour. So why shouldn't you see your body when you're still alive?

Is it in any Unreal Engine3 games?

Conceptually, you need to make a high poly-count 3rd person model without a head, and put the camera there instead. Since you'd have the arms pinned to the body instead of the camera, it would look different when you move you gun around, especially when hipped.

I was gonna say mirrors edge but they had separate models for the arms and legs.

Upvote 0
actually, it's kind of a joke if they DONT do this. I think there's been a couple of FPS's that let u see ur feet, I just cant remember them at the moment... but seriously, this day and age, you gotta be able to see ur feet....

I've been kinda expecting that they would include this all along... but we will see...

Upvote 0
actually, it's kind of a joke if they DONT do this. I think there's been a couple of FPS's that let u see ur feet, I just cant remember them at the moment... but seriously, this day and age, you gotta be able to see ur feet....

I've been kinda expecting that they would include this all along... but we will see...
In the past, third person and first person character models used to be seperated due to performance issues.
Today that isn't necessary since most third person models are detailed enough for first person camera's.

It saves development time, it does need some extra coding though.

Upvote 0