• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Friendly name tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

origination

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
EDIT: also please do not close my thread. I am not "trolling" as they say, nor am I bashing this game. I love Red Orchestra Ostfront for many years now, and I will love RO2 even more(I am sure of it). However there a few "realism" changes that I am not really agreeing with, that is all.

Hey,

Was just watching a video on RO2 and I noticed something that I am not really loving a whole lot. I knew there would be name tags for friendlies in the game to some extent, but I figured it would be more in line with the was done in RO1, not as extreme.

The video I am seeing is here @ 2:53 YouTube - ‪Red Orchestra Heroes Of Stalingrad Gameplay‬‏

Is this just a server setting for the difference between "relaxed mode" and "Normal mode"? I mean I know Tk's are a bit painful in RO1 sometimes, but it is also part of the experience, You cannot just instantly start spraying at targets right away all the time, because you need a second to assure your not FFing. It also takes a bit of time in RO1 to develop of a good sense to pick your targets correctly, and its a bit more rewarding in the end I think to get good at picking out targets properly than just having nametags telling you who to not shoot.

In the video above at 2:53 you see the nametags stay lit up solid for a GOOD distance away and all are on at the same time! Can somebody confirm weather this is a "Mode" server setting or not?

Last edited:

Most of the people who responded to that thread seem to misunderstand the argument though I think(at least my argument). I like the way its done in RO1 where you really have to pay attention in order to not get any teamkills or coordinate with your team.

I also really loved the feature that Ram showed off in one of the first videos I ever watched covering RO2. The feature that distinguished the difference between the way soldiers will carry their weapons(germans in one hand, russians in 2). I loved the idea of this to be able to pick out who is who on the battlefield, and the feature will be wasted if you can just know who is friendly by a big green nametag.

Upvote 0
In clanwars people sometimes used the hudmutator in ostfront, because it had the only working blackout at that time. It also had the ability to show all name tags over friendlies, in a certain radius/distance around you. It could get quite annoying when the name tag of a nearby friendly obscrured your view while you where trying to aim at some enemy.

How it worked in vanilla ostfront was perfect. Would be nice to have it like that in hos as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.