• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Friendly Fire

Off, always off for me. For some reason I often times get the idiots who think this is counter strike, so they weave side to side while they're shooting... and of course they're not smart enough to pay attention to where they're weaving.

This is a serious problem even in Friendly Fire-Off games...makes healing difficult and shots get blocked frequently...

Kinda ironic too, because in even in Counterstrike, you're more accurate when you fire standing still...it's only in Unreal Tournament and the like that you really benefit from shooting while sidestepping...

Upvote 0
Meh, im fine with FF 100%, BUT im not fine with idiots who shoot me in the back with a rocket while im crouching and still and they say i moved in front of it.

Also, when idiots jump into my Xbow. I mean i can warn them 3 time "My xbow will pwn ur *** dont get in front of it!" and theyll always jump infront of it right when I shoot the bullet.

Upvote 0
You ever hear the phrase "the beauty (or magic) of new things only lasts 3 days"?
I played L4D ragged and was bored with it by the time survivor dlc came out. Then I got even more bored a week later and now I'm like meh, especially since L4D2.
people will enjoy anything new they get BECAUSE it's new..

Way to be completely off-topic! Good job!

Upvote 0
This is a serious problem even in Friendly Fire-Off games...makes healing difficult and shots get blocked frequently...

Kinda ironic too, because in even in Counterstrike, you're more accurate when you fire standing still...it's only in Unreal Tournament and the like that you really benefit from shooting while sidestepping...

Yeah, there is really no need to move around unless you're avoiding something that's getting close to you (like a fleshpound). The enemies don't shoot. I've seen people constantly sidestepping back and forth for no damn reason when nothing's even close to them, or even worse running in front of everyone to block a doorway so no one else can shoot things (I'm not talking about berzerkers or something--I've seen sharpshooters do this).

If you and your group are shooting at an advancing horde , there is no reason to sidestep and dance around. Stay still, crouch, and hold your ground--especially if friendly fire is on.

Even if something big and nasty is after you, try to be consistent, move in a straight line, and stay out of your teammates' fields of fire. The specimens don't shoot, so you're not dodging anything by dancing around like an idiot. For example, if you're running down a hallway to get away from something, stick to one side of the hall so people can shoot around you.

Upvote 0
Some of my funniest moments in this game come from twitchy, dodgy allies and a misplaced grenade throw on a Friendly Fire server.

The fact that they almost always ragequit afterwards only makes it funnier.
I've killed myself a few times because of this, some moron weaves right in front of me while I'm using the L.A.W. or right when I toss a grenade. One grenade won't kill you, but when they keep doing it over and over... sometimes I wish there were a way around the FF off thing, a simple tweak so I could kill the people who keep getting me killed out of their stupidity.

Upvote 0
We get a few of these each evening:

[RANDOM] Player has joined the game
SERVER MESSAGE: FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY FIRE
[RANDOM] Player has left the game

Come on lads - where's your spine? Try it out.

I'd much rather see that than people spamming grenades and blowing up their team mates and then saying "FF? lol I didn't kno lol!"

I really think friendly fire on should be the default for this game. All the people saying how it's impossible are sissies, IMO. I have no problems on my server. There's the occasional accident, but overall everyone plays nice and we somehow manage to do pretty well. It's all about tactics and teamwork. You can't spam grenades and spray'n'pray while running around like a headless chicken with FF on, but that's a good thing.

Upvote 0
Brain.Use it.
Reading. Elementary school. It's worth learning.
Missing the point...shame on you.

Thread topic: Friendly fire

Your post: About how you got bored of L4D and in general how people like things that are new but soon get bored of them.

Connection to the topic: None. If you're implying that people like friendly fire because it's new, that makes no sense since...it's not new--it's been an option since the game was released and has been in many prior games also. If you're implying that people like KF just because it's new, that still has nothing to do with the topic of friendly fire (besides the fact that the mod form of KF has been around for years, so it's not exactly "new" either).

I'm sorry if you think there's some brilliant yet subtle meaning behind what you actually typed, but it's not there.

Upvote 0
I'd much rather see that than people spamming grenades and blowing up their team mates and then saying "FF? lol I didn't kno lol!"

I really think friendly fire on should be the default for this game. All the people saying how it's impossible are sissies, IMO. I have no problems on my server. There's the occasional accident, but overall everyone plays nice and we somehow manage to do pretty well. It's all about tactics and teamwork. You can't spam grenades and spray'n'pray while running around like a headless chicken with FF on, but that's a good thing.

There's a reason that most cohesive units yell "Frag out!" before throwing a grenade...I suspect that "Friendly Fire" is probably that reason...

I do, however, find the Call of Duty bunnies hilarious on here. They bunny hop!!! As far as I know the zombies aren't trying to headshot you, so bunny hopping does nothing but screw up your aim, block teammates lines of fire, and make you look hilarious/retarded...

Upvote 0
I have been guilty of saying 'Grenade' on comms a few times. I'm also guilty of accidently lobbing a grenade into a mates lap - something I'm not proud of, but I did laugh and he saw the funny side. That's what FF is all about. Even when you do get TK'ed you see the funny side aslong as you have a solid group and everyone is shooting straight and playing smart.

Upvote 0
i've only played on "FF on" once and hated it coz some noob kept shotgunning our team mates. i was welding a gate for several seconds and he just randomly shot me to death instantly in the back. (probably trying to kill a specimen on my back, but still, i'd rather be scratched and know that there is a specimen behind me as there will be damage indicator, rather than be shot by a shotgun and die instantly)

"FF On" would be great if you're playing with some good players, but on normal public servers, it's a definite no no. there's no punishment for players who teamkill, so there are some knobs out there who will think it's funny to force someone to only be able to watch them play.

Upvote 0
There's a reason that most cohesive units yell "Frag out!" before throwing a grenade...I suspect that "Friendly Fire" is probably that reason...

Yeah, I've wondered why with all the voice cues in the game, there are no "grenade" ones. I guess maybe because FF is off by default, but still...there should be "grenade", "frag", etc voice cues. My character loudly announce every time I insert a single shell into my shotgun, but not when I throw a hand-held fragmentary explosive device?

They should also only trigger the 'reloading' sound when you're actually swapping magazines or something instead of topping off your shotgun or rifle, but that's another issue.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've wondered why with all the voice cues in the game, there are no "grenade" ones. I guess maybe because FF is off by default, but still...there should be "grenade", "frag", etc voice cues. My character loudly announce every time I insert a single shell into my shotgun, but not when I throw a hand-held fragmentary explosive device?

They should also only trigger the 'reloading' sound when you're actually swapping magazines or something instead of topping off your shotgun or rifle, but that's another issue.

An annoying issue. At first, I used to listen to reload voice cues, covering whoever they came from. I stopped when I realized that it usually comes from the uber-god Supports popping a last shell in to top off their death-stick...and they're usually the LAST ones that need covering. Same with Commandos and their speed-loading and high level Sharpshooters, with their reload speed bonus.

Firebugs, on the other hand, have a lengthy reload animation and really NEED to be covered during reloads! So do any users of Dual 9mms or Handcannons! I think all of those weapons have nearly 5-second long reload times! That's pretty crazy. I can't count the times that I've unloaded my dual handcannons and been forced into a reload...only to get PUMMELED as the moron Commando next to me decided to run off and shoot at a Stalker clear across the map!

Upvote 0