• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Friendly Fire

i​e

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2009
Do you play with friendly fire on?

I do, with 100% FF. It really makes the game awesome. No more mindlessly shotgunning those crawlers at your friend's feet and running into their line of fire.

Initially our firebug and berzerker complained, but they learnt to deal with it and became better players. Then they started to appreciate the FF as well. :p

(For those don't know how, change FriendlyFireScale under [kfmod.KFGameType] in KillingFloor.ini)

I am convinced the main reasons why majority of people don't play on FF servers is because:

1. 97% of players play support.
2. Shotguns are great teamkilling weapons.
3. Despite the given warning that FF is on (or even few who read it it was on), ignores it and goes "O HAI MONSTERS" and teamkills the rest of the team with one hunting shotgun blast due one Clot that was coming from behind. Or maybe with a grenade instead.
4. It prevents "blast the **** out of everything that remotedly shows lifesigns" syndrome that is norm everywhere else.
5. It's less efficient to level up your support perk when you can't do point #4 = Less frags, oh noes. Ruins great support fragfun.
6. You can't run'n gun around freely because another support might blow your arse off.
7. Given enough communication and coordination, it might enforce teamwork which apparently 94% (some supports are sane after all) of players does not seem to want, as it ruins their fraghunting and perk leveling.

Upvote 0
I am convinced the main reasons why majority of people don't play on FF servers is because:

1. 97% of players play support.
2. Shotguns are great teamkilling weapons.
3. Despite the given warning that FF is on (or even few who read it it was on), ignores it and goes "O HAI MONSTERS" and teamkills the rest of the team with one hunting shotgun blast due one Clot that was coming from behind. Or maybe with a grenade instead.
4. It prevents "blast the **** out of everything that remotedly shows lifesigns" syndrome that is norm everywhere else.
5. It's less efficient to level up your support perk when you can't do point #4 = Less frags, oh noes. Ruins great support fragfun.
6. You can't run'n gun around freely because another support might blow your arse off.
7. Given enough communication and coordination, it might enforce teamwork which apparently 94% (some supports are sane after all) of players does not seem to want, as it ruins their fraghunting and perk leveling.

Right on the money, stupidity rules :rolleyes: As a keen RO player I am used to FF being on and miss it and the tactical improvements it brings in KF.

Upvote 0
Alot of support hate but otherwise true ^^

I don't really have any dislike against any perk in general; typically supports outnumbers other perks quite easily and what weapon the supports use most of the time? Shotguns. Now add 4x supports with shotguns + FF servers + people thinking it's not FF server, who has higher odds of teamkilling a friendly guy: support with shotgun or a commando with bullup?

It's not hate, it's a cold hard fact that can be backed up by personal experience when you compare teamkills caused by shotguns vs teamkills caused by other weapons. In my case it's 14:1 ratio ;)

Upvote 0
Flamer can be very potent teamkiller weapon, but there's several practical diffrences, as unless you empty relatively high amount of canister to a friendly player, just being on fire for a brief moment is less lethal than one awfully aimed shotgun blast. You can spot within a second if you accidentally hit a friendly with a flamer, stop it and possibly heal the guy while with shotgun the instant you realize you hit a friendly, the friendly person is either dead or one hit away from being dead. If there's one clot or crawler around, he will be dead.

And as for bias, maybe. Considering the fact that you rarely see berserkers messing around with shotguns, same with commandos, firebugs might have potential FF issue, but are less lethal, medics with shotguns is not too uncommon, but they have usually some other jobs to do rather than to shoot enemies 24h\7 and sharpshooters are not using shotguns too often neither so where does that leave us? Shotgun itself is indeed lethal due friendly fire, but what's the major perk players use it with?

Upvote 0
Friendly fire is the only way to play this game. Its just great to see everyone ducking down and moving to get a shot rather than spraying and praying. I have to drop the scale to 30% when its public. That said people adapt very quickly to FF (or they get shouted at haha).

Yes it is nice to see proper formations and teamwork. Tbh i blame Perk levels. People want to level them over playing as a team, so just shoot everything in sight instead of shooting what you need to. As in shooting Crawlers to stop them injuring the Berserker... but people don't. I guess it could just be because i haven't played on any FF servers since early days of the game.

@Oldih, Meh, i suppose you have a point. But its the general attitude and playstyle you get from playing with a Shotgun in non-FF servers that does it. If, like in L4D, FF could never be turned off and scaled up with difficulty, you'd see alot more people taking more care instead of shooting through Berserkers to kill things. The teams that succeed would generally be the ones that put more care into there team-setup.

Upvote 0
I am strongly against FF on. Everytime i played on servers with FF on, i was always team killed. People throw grenades without looking, using the flame thrower without care or just bad at aiming.
Maybe once more servers will have FF on, players will start paying more attention. But in general, this game isn't meant to be realstic in the first place, so i think it's okay to have FF off.

Upvote 0
But its the general attitude and playstyle you get from playing with a Shotgun in non-FF servers that does it.

I pretty much pointed that out in my initial post earlier. Playing without FF gives you the impression that you're free to shoot anything that shows any signs of life or looks at you funny and you are not penalized for that. Typically non-FF server gameplay is much mindless as people just run around and blast everything that moves, throw nades in middle of friendlies due one crawler etc, because nothing's penalized for.

When one joins on FF server and notices it might give a minor penalty (less teammates = less firepower or eyes to bail your arse out in tight situations + people getting angry), it obviously is worlds apart from the regular "shoot everything that moves" idea which people are then easily snobby about and refuse to play on FF servers because they have very hard time trying to live with the fact you can't shoot everything that moves.

It also leads to the another issue that when people are getting shot at due some people being simply idiotic, it becomes frushtrating cycle that someone joins, doesn't get the hint FF is on despite warnings (server name, players etc), shoots someone and the victim becomes heavily frushtrated that why some people can't just aim more carefully instead of blasting around like they're playing Serious Sam deathmatch on LAN.

Upvote 0
But in general, this game isn't meant to be realstic in the first place, so i think it's okay to have FF off.

Where do you get that? It's pretty damn realistic. And don't even say "zombies aren't realistic lolz" because I've heard it many times and it's a stupid fallacy to argue that a game with zombies can't have realistic firearms and combat mechanics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0