• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Free To Play

I agree with everything you say but I think that until KF2 is fully released,maybe it would be better to REDUCE the price instead of making it free? KF2 is not a fully-fledged game as of now, so there's no real point in buying it EXCEPT if you want to give your opinion (which is something most people don't seem to understand).

And to be fair , I don't know if making it free-to-play would really bring a lot of newcomers... Maybe for the first two weeks or so, but then? Killing Floor is kind of a niche game (even if it was quite popular back in the time, probably because a lot of us like simpler game where teamwork and fun prevail ) , so I don't truly see it being played a lot by people who doesn't know very much about it. Even more since a lot of players nowadays are becoming very VERY picky (but somehow,they always praise call of duty or assassin's creed...) .

But I guess it could be worth a try,even if I almost never play the first Killing Floor myself (everything feels...odd. Even with the lack of content,KF2 feels already superior )

Upvote 0
Now this is an interesting point. It's true that quite often I prefer a game that started out Free-to-play than a game that become one... quite often,it ruins the community (Team Fortress 2 *cough cough*) but every now and then it can save a game (Defiance and probably Wildstar very soon) .

But I don't think it's the case with Killing Floor. It made quite a lot of money with the dozens of special sales and free weekends and back in the day it was quite popular. I think it simply made it's time and people wanted to move on (other games or simply Killing Floor 2!) .

Upvote 0
I think f2p is not such a great idea.

However, lowering the price of the game significantly (to 9,99e or even 4,99e for the basic edition) would probably help. Also, given the current circumstances, DLC's are just insanely overpriced. I can't imagine anyone buying the KF Bundle for 59,99e right now.

Upvote 0
i remember a game i got for steam that came with a 3 day demo you could give to your mates.i think it was KF1, not sure though (perhaps it was a thing that came with the retail version of the game..which i bought)
the concept of a "try for free for a few days and decide to buy" is great as it gives peeps a chance to have a peek and find out how good KF is.furthermore it draws attention to the franchise and thus could boost sales for both KF1 and 2 increasing sales and enlarging the community :D
as much as i love the franchise..dont have the money to buy copies for all my mates. so let the game speak for itself!

Upvote 0
as an addition..
i have to admit that when i've seen KF in action for the first time it was a youtube vid i watched..i then torrented the game right away to see what the fuss was all about and fell in love with it after wave 5 and went to my local games store next day hoping they have a "hard copy" stocked..point being..nowadays you cant be sure a game looks good meaning it is a good game with solid content and a dedicated company behind it just to pay 50+ $/

Upvote 0
I don't mean to hop aboard the bumping bandwagon here, but I don't see KF ever being F2P, and it never should be.

I have been running KF servers since the start under multiple clans, and I have literally seen it all.

Rebooting the player base will KILL this game. All of the hassle is GONE, and I'd like it to stay that way. No one worries about having friendlyfire servers and those specific teamkilling group players joining and shooting up the entire server as level 6 medics, they still exist but they are RARE. No one worries about low level perk players using the wrong guns anymore, there aren't that many low level players left that do not know how to use perks correctly. There aren't even any medic farmers left.. I can't tell you how many players connect and see our ads go by and ask "what is medic farming?" (in ff, intentionally shooting your teammates and healing them. in regular mp, let a clot attack a teammate as you constantly heal them).

It is so good not having to ban players for breaking rules.. and we value that a lot just as we always have in our clan. We never tolerated it on our friendlyfire servers when they were up, but while we are strict on our rules now, no one even attempts to break them.

Even if it is a full squad of level 6 players on doom2 hard - we all still enjoy Killing Floor under vanilla rankings. It's just like someone having CS:S as their natural gaming territory. It feels good to be able to play a game you enjoy in the utmost of peace.

Upvote 0
If they just lower the price, people will complain for paying more.

Which is incredibly stupid. Most of us paid a long time ago for the game (during a sale even ) and we had plenty of fun back in the day. I think the money was more than worth it.

Yes - no sense in anyone complaining if the game were to be dramatically reduced from its already cheap price (or made completely free).

Prices, especially for older games, can fluctuate a lot on the steam market. Nobody should be surprised or upset by this; prices evolve with the ever-changing landscape of the gaming community.

Upvote 0