• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server FQDN support

An ever better system would be like in TF2 where servers in favorites are tied to Gameserver accounts.
Using a steam gameserver account provides one important advantage right now: client favorite lists are keyed by the Steam account if present. This means that you can move your server to another IP address, and clients who have your server in their favorites or history will follow you to your new location.

Upvote 0
An ever better system would be like in TF2 where servers in favorites are tied to Gameserver accounts.

Using a steam gameserver account provides one important advantage right now: client favorite lists are keyed by the Steam account if present. This means that you can move your server to another IP address, and clients who have your server in their favorites or history will follow you to your new location.

That would be neat.

Upvote 0
I wholeheartedly support the ability to use host names instead of IP addresses, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to limit it to IPs. In addition, I would love it if they added support for DNS SRV records.

For those who don't know what SRV records are, they would allow you to omit the port number and simply have the game client find out the port from the DNS server. For instance you could have four servers each operating on the same IP address (on different ports, of course), and give a different host name to each server (kf1.example.com, kf2.example.com, etc). They would all resolve to the same IP address, but there would also be a port associated with the hostname.

So when a client connects to kf1.example.com it would request the SRV record for that subdomain (likely _killingfloor._udp.kf1.example.com), and the DNS server would return the address and port for the server.

Of course, you could still specify the port while connecting if the server owner didn't want to set up the SRV record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record

Upvote 0