• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FPS - is this typical?

CPU at fast cloak, dual graphic card isn't exactly an example of average, low end pc.

old parts, cpu was 120 quid 3 years ago, gfx card was 50 quid each on ebay.

It certainly is not a high end system

and it certainly is not this

and I bet most here who says his performance is fine basically have uber fast quad core cpu or better, 8G ram minimum, minimum gtx560ti or better cards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...and I bet most here who says his performance is fine basically have uber fast quad core cpu or better, 8G ram minimum, minimum gtx560ti or better cards.
Not exactly no. I'm able to run it on atleast 40 fps regardless of map and playercount on Ultra on my HD6850 with 4gb DDR3 RAM and my PhenomII 965 quad @ 3.4ghz, although i guess that is a rather high clock.

I'm honestly not surprised how CPU intensive this game is (and hence how much more optimisation it needs) when you consider that every bullet on the map goes through far more calculations than it's counterparts in most other games and that's even before it hits something and goes through the penetration calculations. Rather than a hit being either a headshot or "other" this game has a fully modelled damage system and with that comes all the calculations which must be performed in a very short time. And of course there's a myriad of other thing in this game that tend to put a large load on your CPU. So think about that next time you go spraying your PPSH everywhere and notice your framerate slows down a bit. Think about it mathematically, its much harder to solve a quadratic (parabola as with bullets in RO2) as opposed to a linear equation as with most other games.

And to everyone having performance issues I feel for you. Hopefully the problems can be found and fixed for you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingmanSR
Upvote 0
Well the game is playable on my system, seems to vary from 40fps-75fps. My settings vary from High to Medium. I recently tried Ultra, but it made no difference visually at all. Something seems to be limiting the settings I can use now. Running it at 1680x1050.

I have an q8300 @2.7ghz, 2 gigs of Ram and a 4850. Not a high spec system by any means.

The game is stuttering quite a bit but it's improved greatly since launch. Just ordered myself a 6870, will give an update on my performance if anyone is interested after it arrives. I can tell you that overclocking my processor from 2.5 to 2.7 ghz made a substantial difference, which I wouldn't have expected such a tiny boost to make.

The performance seems fine to me, especially considering how gorgeous the game looks. I don't know of any other multiplayer shooter I've found as atmospheric and engrossing as this, other than RO1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love how people state what performance one can and cannot get on their own PC. Great way to come across like a complete idiot.

Yeah, just like throwing insults on an internet forum.

I've got a friend with a better setup than yours and the game doesn't run much better than it does on my POS PC.

So excuse me if your testimony doesn't exactly sound believable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, just like throwing insults on an internet forum.

I've got a friend with a better setup than yours and the game doesn't run much better than it does on my POS PC.

So excuse me if your testimony doesn't exactly sound believable.

I'm not throwing about insults.. I'm calling you an idiot for telling me what performance i get on my own PC. The fact that you back up your claim by saying a friend has a better PC than mine and gets worse performance just adds weight to my opinion. Clearly you know little about PCs and the multitude of ways they can be configured, so you insinuate I'm lying instead. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Clearly you know little about PCs and the multitude of ways they can be configured, so you insinuate I'm lying instead. :rolleyes:

Lol oh man so hostile.

Alright bud, you're clearly a master and I've got no idea what I'm talking about. I'll go back to my cave and pretend the case I described doesn't cover about 75% of the people with performance issues.

Fact is this game tends to run poorly on exceptional hardware. Just because you happened to have a low end setup which runs the game so flawlessly doesn't mean everyone else is just an idiot with no idea about PCs.

The reason I said you don't get that performance is because my PC is very similar to yours, and the only time I get reasonable framerates is when playing with about 24-32 people. I thought my comment obviously jumped the gun and would be taken with a grain of salt, but I guess I underestimated your temper.

If you want to make another smart remark about it, feel free. It'll go unread, at least by me.

Upvote 0
Lol oh man so hostile.

Alright bud, you're clearly a master and I've got no idea what I'm talking about. I'll go back to my cave and pretend the case I described doesn't cover about 75% of the people with performance issues.

Fact is this game tends to run poorly on exceptional hardware. Just because you happened to have a low end setup which runs the game so flawlessly doesn't mean everyone else is just an idiot with no idea about PCs.

The reason I said you don't get that performance is because my PC is very similar to yours, and the only time I get reasonable framerates is when playing with about 24-32 people. I thought my comment obviously jumped the gun and would be taken with a grain of salt, but I guess I underestimated your temper.

If you want to make another smart remark about it, feel free. It'll go unread, at least by me.

+1

...and this my friends, is how to react to post on a forum.

Upvote 0
Wow, look at all of the people who have pre dx11 cards and say that everything runs fine, that seems to be the issue here. My dual 6870s on lowest settings still aren't enough to make the game playable. Let's just face the fact that RO2 was built for older hardware using older graphics APIs. If the game was actually 64-bit, we could actually use our >4GB of RAM.

Just to throw out some comparisons, Battlefield 3 Beta ran at an extremely playable ~60FPS. Deus Ex 3 was the same story. Rage plays phenomenally on my system with a solid 60FPS. In fact, I was so impressed with Rage that I went back to play RO2, got pissed off and uninstalled the damn thing. Lastly, I've had UDK double in FPS when switching over to dx11 from dx9.

Why is a 2011 PC game using a graphics api from 2004?

Upvote 0