• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FPS Creeping down then crash

jonofmac

May 19, 2010
Hello,
This is a problem that seems to be with 8 series NVidias, or at least those that i've personally talked to have had an 8 series. I myself have a 8800GTX.

I can play the game, get great solid FPS at solid 60 at the beginning. then over the course of a game, the FPS drops slowly until I'm getting about 10-12 and the game will crash. I've had this bug since I purchased the game. A friend of mine with an 8 series had this problem as well. He switched cards and the problem went away. I know this seems straight up like a driver problem. I'm up to date with the drivers, and no updates to drivers have fixed this problem (over the course of several months now). This is the only game that exhibits this behavior and I know it's not my hardware. I have a quad core Phenom II with a PCIE 8800GTX.

I've tried changing the renderer as suggested by some forums where people post with this same problem but nothing seems to fix it.
If an error report decides to pop up, I'll copy and paste.

Thank You,
Jonathan

Does a clean re-install of Windows 7 count?
I haven't tried the driver cleaning as I just reinstalled...

It only does it on computers with a 8800 series card (or maybe even all 8s, but it'd be heard of more if that were the case). It's happened to other friends of mine that have 8 series cards. So perhaps a driver issue, but then why only this game it does this?

Upvote 0
Finally got an error report.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3000 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (9745)

Assertion failed: SavedStateIndex+1 < MAX_STATESTACKDEPTH [File:.\D3DRenderInterface.cpp] [Line: 160]

History: F3DRenderInterface::pushState <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UShadowBitmapMaterial::Get <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetProjectorMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- RenderStaticMesh <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-WestLondon.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-WestLondon <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
It seems to happen towards the end of a game. I recorded the FPS with fraps and threw it into a graph. You'll see that the game starts at 80+ fps and even well over 100 fps then slowly creeps its way down to 17. The spikes are when I go to the trader.

It also doesn't seem to be time dependent, but maybe even mob dependent, because it still drops even with a short game. It seems to be a bit more pronounced in a long game though.

Also, every time a new game starts, it is all better for a bit. If the game doesn't crash and I can make it to a new map, I'll start with 100+ fps again and the cycle repeats.

Attachments

• lowFPS.jpg
    lowFPS.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Happened again. I was gone all weekend came back, and my first game, it crashed again....

Code:

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3001 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (9745)

Assertion failed: SavedStateIndex+1 < MAX_STATESTACKDEPTH [File:.\D3DRenderInterface.cpp] [Line: 160]

History: F3DRenderInterface::PushState <- UShadowBitmapMaterial::Get <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetProjectorMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- ATerrainInfo::Render::RenderProjectors <- ATerrainInfo::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-Farm.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Farm <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
I also thought I'd mention that my FPS was about 14-13 when it crashed. I just checked nvidia's site and found out there's an update, so im going to install in hopes of it doing something. But the last 4 updates haven't done anything.

Edit: Just installed update, crashed again, as expected... But a different error this time.
Code:

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3000 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (5721)

General protection fault!

History: SkeletalMeshGet <- USpriteEmitter::UpdateParticles <- AEmitter::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=2) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Farm <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Last edited:
Upvote 0