• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forums supported by the masses??

I love HalfLife with a passion. I remember how I struggled to get it to run on my PC at the time. It was the first game that got me onto playing FPS with a mouse, before it wasn't so important. Took me ages to complete. Still play it to this day.

Same here, except for the mouse part. one of the, if not the best game of all time. headcrabs still cause me to jump.:eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ideas and Suggestions isn't the only section with problems.
There are more people in the Killing Floor Steam community than those who participate on the forums, and as Xienen has mentioned; there are thousands who play the game. In all certainty there are very few who contribute to the discussions while there are many out there with ideas and suggestions.
I have to agree with the 1st wasted and Gartley that the Killing Floor forums are a nauseating due to many members who have made it their permanent residence and platform for childish and trolling antics. Having to wade through several pages of personal bickering and spiteful clashes on topics that appear to be interesting is tiresome, and I am sure I am not the only one who is put off by it.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
A lot of the bickering is uncalled for, but a lot of it is just people arguing their points with each other...and for some reason forgetting that there are other people on the forum that have likely stopped caring about the argument long ago.

It really does put off users to see a topic like "Community Opinion - Is Berserker Overpowered?" and click on it to find that the majority of the topic is 1 or 2 people basically saying "NU-UH! YOU'RE WRONG!" while 2-3 other people constantly make increasingly long and unreadable arguments otherwise. Even though I care about the topic a lot, as a seasoned forum-goer here, I can't make myself trudge through multi-paragraph posts of people basically doing 1-on-1 bickering and arguing over the same points. I can only imagine how new users would feel running into that.

But the forums also have plenty of helpful topics like "Tips for Perks, Zombies, and Weapons" that newbies are free to put their 2-cents into and will get good feedback out of. Those are unique to these forums and you won't get a topic like that without trolling on the larger forums like Steam. So having smaller forums is a double edged sword sometimes, but ultimately worth it, IMO.

I kinda wished there were more mods but I guess if there is flaming and bickering going on people should start reporting posts.

The bickering won't stop in a heated discussion. And most of the time, it's good natured, even if it may not seem like it. But if it ever gets to the point of personal attacks, insults, and the like, definitely report it. There ARE mods here and stuff like that will get taken care of...but only if you report it to let them know what's going on. Most of the mods on this forum are the actual game devs, so they don't have time to browse the forums everyday looking for trouble. You have to let them know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do support the mods. but I started this thread to get the idea that the forums are not the best way to get ideas out because people argue all the time. I did exaggerate in my first post. Even though the forums have a lot of people resisted, their aren't that many people who participate so even though their may be 6000, only like 200 participate in the forums for killing floor. Some people don't like some ideas so much , cough ar-15 cough ,they just argue and say its not worth the time to put in the game. Some people are helpfull and try to do it nicely and offer ideas, some people get angry if the idea isn't like theirs. Some forms get so cluttered, if you don't get a new thread, you idea will never get heard and people "yell" at you for that. I would not even read the forums if it was not so I might know what would be put in the game.

Upvote 0
Even though the forums have a lot of people resisted, their aren't that many people who participate so even though their may be 6000, only like 200 participate in the forums for killing floor.

Sorry but this isn't some exclusive 'cool kids only club'. Any KF owner or anyone for that matter can make an account and post here.

I was thinking of some mutator ideas and I wanted to see how the community was for KF and here I am. If you arn't interested enough to poke around the forums then you either don't know about KF's community or you don't care enough.

Of those 6000 people, i'de like to say that alot are TF2 casuals who only have Non-vintage Stockbroker Scarves. (I don't see why everyone who plays good games wouldn't have on- oh wait.)

Upvote 0
I know that me and others on this forum try to welcome new members, and encourage some "new blood", but if we fall into hostile ways, I am extremely sorry :eek:.

But, as for the reoccuring "not worth the time" thing....well, it actually is a relatively new argument compared to most, which sprand from when the devs crowned female chars "not worth the time"...and, I really wish it were otherwise, but it IS true in some cases. I mean, people come asking for basically a variant of some gun to look flashy or some extreme undertaking to do improve the game slightly, and I just have to say that its all nice and lovely...but, when it comes down to it, not every feature that has no negatives on gameplay could be added, even if TWI had a choir of angels working day and night for them.

Upvote 0
Some forms get so cluttered, if you don't get a new thread, you idea will never get heard and people "yell" at you for that. I would not even read the forums if it was not so I might know what would be put in the game.

This is in response to the quote, and also some of your other posts, and the members responses to them.

I agree with you 100%. Attempting to prevent, or berating someone for posting something they woud like to discuss, just because others long ago discussed it, is... wrong. Do the new members not have the right to voice their opinion, post their concerns and ideas simply because the older (Forum Elders?) members decided long ago that it was this or that?
Do some of you senior members feel that since you have 1000's of posts, and years as members that you somehow have more rights than the others?

Maybe the older post was not well recieved when it was first made, but over time the Idea has matured, or someone has fresh imput and thinks it is perhaps worth a 2nd look. Also, maybe the newer members of the community would be more accepting of it and try to find some way to revise, or fine tune it.

So, should the older post with pages upon pages of crap be added to, or should a new, clean post be started, or should all ideas that were discussed and decided on long ago by others stay that way?

Last edited:
Reactions: sph34r
Upvote 0
Attempting to prevent, or berating someone for posting something they woud like to discuss, just because others long ago discussed it, is... wrong.

no, it's not "wrong" to let them know that the idea had been discussed before.....use the search feature. as there's no valid reason to create a new thread that just reiterates topics that have already been discussed, many times in great length.

Do the new members not have the right to voice their opinion, post their concerns and ideas simply because the older (Forum Elders?) members decided long ago that it was this or that?
Do some of you senior members feel that since you have 1000's of posts, and years as members that you somehow have more rights than the others?

every member has the "right" to post what they want....however every member is also subject to following the rules, one of which is to use the search to prevent numerous threads being created about the same topic. although there is something that "senior members" have that new members don't......experience in these forums as part of this community. many of these people have been around for a long time and can tell you the ins and outs of pretty much every topic that has been discussed here. i'm not advocating the mistreatment of new members or any members for that matter, but this also goes for newer members disrespecting forum veterans when they come into our house with their dirty shoes on messing up our carpets.

So, should the older post with pages upon pages of crap be added to, or should a new, clean post be started, or should all ideas that were discussed and decided on long ago by others stay that way?

threads should be further developed....the only reason why a new thread should be started is if no previous threads discussing a topic are left open (due to them being locked or deleted etc...). newer members should respect those who have come before them and contributed ideas to the discussions before they just go off posting things that chances are, had already been said. if one cannot devote a few minutes to becoming acquainted with the history surrounding a discussion, then they shouldn't even be allowed to get involved in that discussion due to their intentional choice to remain ignorant.

Upvote 0
I do support the mods. but I started this thread to get the idea that the forums are not the best way to get ideas out because people argue all the time.

What exactly are you suggesting then? There will always be people who object the ideas you post wether its in forums or not. And I think they have a right to do so seeing as most of the suggestions are in a form of "I want this and that weapon", a list of serial numbers with no description to what these weapons look like or why should they be added in the first place.

A lot of people dont really think their ideas through before posting them, so its their own fault if the rest of the community bashes it down. What everyone should do is search before they post anything to make sure such topic doesnt already exist, if not, create the topic but give good description and reason to why this suggestion would be worth adding. And keeping in mind that TW is a smallish company and this game is already relatively old, its pretty unlikely that they would make any changes that require a huge effort from them but give very little in return eg. anything that requires making a lot of new models, voices/sounds, or animations without actually adding anything useful (for example the suggestions about replacing existing weapons with something else, which would be purely cosmetical change therefor not affecting the gameplay one bit but being a ton of unnecessary work for TW).

Reactions: Undedd Jester
Upvote 0
A lot of people dont really think their ideas through before posting them, so its their own fault if the rest of the community bashes it down. What everyone should do is search before they post anything to make sure such topic doesnt already exist, if not, create the topic but give good description and reason to why this suggestion would be worth adding. And keeping in mind that TW is a smallish company and this game is already relatively old, its pretty unlikely that they would make any changes that require a huge effort from them but give very little in return eg. anything that requires making a lot of new models, voices/sounds, or animations without actually adding anything useful (for example the suggestions about replacing existing weapons with something else, which would be purely cosmetical change therefor not affecting the gameplay one bit but being a ton of unnecessary work for TW).

Being who i am, i have a weapon suggestion of my own :)

However simply having a picture and stats won't cut it for me. I'm going to get The Sorrow to teach me to use 3DS Max so i can model the gun i want to suggest. Then he's going to teach me animation and maybe texturing. We can find some sounds and someone to code it.

People should really pick one weapon and make a quality post for it rather than a list of weapons and a shtpost about them all. :)

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
I would much rather have a game that completely stresses me out because it keeps kicking my @ss. I hate getting something I thought was going to be good, and then breezing through it on max difficulty.:mad::mad::mad:

Remember some of the puzzels in the 1st 3 parts of Half-Life? Hours spent trying to figure out what the heck to do to get to the next area.

I liked the first half life, other than carrying a ton of guns. Also, the Glock should have did a bit more headshot damage, 6-7 in the head for grunts was a bit much. I like games that have weight limits, didn't like carrying 10 guns in HL like I was playing Doom or something.

Upvote 0
I liked the first half life, other than carrying a ton of guns. Also, the Glock should have did a bit more headshot damage, 6-7 in the head for grunts was a bit much. I like games that have weight limits, didn't like carrying 10 guns in HL like I was playing Doom or something.

I do agree, also I felt that the shotgun was underpowered. In half life 2, the shotgun was a beast, but to me the game play was bad, and not what I expected from Half Life.

Upvote 0
There's a general 'online rule' about necro'ing threads. I do not know if it is enforced on these forums, but I can understand why a lot of people bring up tired subjects because other threads are several pages or months old.
Multiple threads of the same topic within a short time frame, or unresearched suggestions, are of course vexatious

Upvote 0
In my last post, i stated that people argue all the time, i meant that they get in heated arguments. Even this thread showes that people ague, but it isn't heated yet. I even started this thread in a way to get some contravesity.

This is a forum for discussion, people will always argue their points. That's why we have forums in the first place!

Upvote 0
There's a general 'online rule' about necro'ing threads. I do not know if it is enforced on these forums, but I can understand why a lot of people bring up tired subjects because other threads are several pages or months old.
Multiple threads of the same topic within a short time frame, or unresearched suggestions, are of course vexatious

Upvote 0