• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forum Overhaul has been completed

- Left side menu has horizontal scrollbar.

- Auto playing the video on front page is a bad idea (also the pause button doesn't work), actually it's a bad idea, period. It sucks bandwidth, it is repetitive every time you load the home page it plays, you can't stop it because the whole slideshow block is a link, it would have been better to simply have a fixed image like in a normal slideshow, with a fake video player.

- Menu items are inconsistent, Forums/What's new/Members and Rafles are OK, but the others have different widths so the down arrow to expand them are not aligned (and the Discord Channels can't be expanded anymore by the way).

- The responsive design has issue, click on KF2 forum, and resize your window width, you'll see that by reducing width at some point it actually has proper text block width too, text is not cut, but if you enlarge width then, at some point the text block got cut off, and it get worse when maximizing the window.

By the way people, you're no longer forced to have a mail stamp sized profile picture, I see everyone kept the horribly resized profile picture from before.

PS: also be sure to test your CSS changes in the major browsers Firefox/Edge/chrome/mobile (opera/safari I don't know I don't use mobile), it is not rare that people only try in their own environment without testing the other ones, which results in issues in some cases (browser specific CSS not working in other browsers, for example).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whats wrong with my avatar pic ®omano ? :p

56412.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ®omano
Upvote 0
Not to demean your hard work, but I really do not like the new layout. I don't know the inner workings of the software and assume that the new forums are a lot easier for Tripwire to manage, but from a user point of view it's a lot more difficult to navigate. The old forum was simple and everything was clearly laid out, but with this one things are scattered and boxy.

I know an option to revert back to the old layout is impossible and an actual rework is too much to ask for, This is just my "two cents".

Upvote 0
I think because of the **** ton of forum and sub forums this is more optimized from the server side point of view, because if it needs to regularly check for that much forums for the front page it is a huge resources impact on the server so multiply that by the amount of people on the forum and do the maths, but when it only needs to check one sub forum/category it is wayyyyy less intensive on the server.

I think it is still possible to have some kind of 'old layout' on the front page but if you can recall, before it was ALL forums listed on front page, then later they started changing it a lot of forums got moved into categories or sub categories, and now it is just main categories on front page, I think this is just on purpose they did it like that.

Upvote 0
- The responsive design has issue, click on KF2 forum, and resize your window width, you'll see that by reducing width at some point it actually has proper text block width too, text is not cut, but if you enlarge width then, at some point the text block got cut off, and it get worse when maximizing the window.

Upvote 0
Ok after a while, this new format is getting tad annoying.

> Checking latest threads from that right side bar does not check the thread as read, so when you go to the sub forum where the thread is located it's still highlighted as unread. So the main menu will still have that "New" icon showing up.

> At times after doing the "mark forums as read", threads that i know i've checked and didn't have any new response for quite a while are getting marked again as unread.

Upvote 0
I actually don't have this issue. I clicked on the thread (this one) name on right side bar on main page, then after reading your message I clicked the logo top left to go back to main page, and the forum does not show as containing unread new stuff.

For the second thing maybe it marks thread as unread/with new stuff if someone EDIT a post?

I had this kind of issue on the old forum but this seems to work now on this new one.

Upvote 0
I kinda like the new style, at least its fresh and not ancient. But if I am not mistaken it took way too long to happen didnt it? I mean if I remember correctly I think we were expecting forum overhaul around the KF2 release? Or it was RO2? Still.. a LONG time ago lol! Better late than never anyway :^)

Upvote 0
Using the 'toggle width' button at bottom of the page, or collapsing forums/categories with the up/down arrow seems to save (you have the loading/saving icon animation on top right of page), but if you refresh the page it just doesn't save the preference. I don't think it is relevant to have these buttons/functionnalities, if they do not save at all and everything resets when you come back/refresh the page. This is currently as useful as if the theme selector would reset back to the default them after you refresh the page.

Upvote 0
UP! some issues remain:

- Toggle width doesn't save
- Collapsing forums doesn't save
- Responsive design uses illogical changes
- Auto play of video is not an option on front page (I will probably end up using uBlock to make the whole slideshow/carousel disappear to fix this). If you're forcing the loading/playing of the video to artificially increase your view count, spoiler alert: that doesn't work. It is just annoying for the end user. A fake player image linking to thread/video is better, or just remove the autoplay from the embed player code.. (EDIT: for the interrested ones, block "##.block.porta-features.porta-features-fix" in your favorite adblock to get rid of the slideshow at top of forum...)
- Sometimes ALL the links on front page just stop being links and you need to refresh the page to have them being clickable links again. It happens sometimes, still didn't find the trigger for this bug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0