• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forgotten Hope 2 (Release) Thread.

I like RO, but I love FH2 a good bit more ATM.

- Yes it is a bit arcady (but much less so than vanilla BF2/BF1942). Is the gameplay more arcady than RO? Perhaps - but only fractionally. But it makes up for it in my mind with greater detail, variety and fidelity in other areas. How realistic is RO to have working AT guns (with limited function) on 1(?) map!??! And no Panzerschrecks and bazookas?
- Yes there can be not too much teamwork yet. It is early days and there are so many toys to play with & people are still learning where things are. Just think of it ATM like an RO noob (sorry ---> trial) week.
-Yes there is 'insta-proning' ATM (legacy of BF2 engine). I admit I hate this.

But there are so many magnificently researched, modelled, skinned and animated new toys! I can only imagine it would be a very stubborn RO player who would not enjoy taking out a Stuka with a Bofors in FH2. It's magic! Magnificently modeled planes dogfighting, roaring (!) overhead, and sometimes strafing really add something to the WWII experience IMO.

Virtually every major weapon from 41/42 desert war is there. What's not to love in the PzII, Marder III and Sdkfz 222? There are a few bits of Italian equipment too already.

The detail is also incredible - of research, of maps, of vehicles. The best FH2 maps feel 'lived in' to me. Be sure to try the map Sidi Rezegh. I think it's the best. The infantry one on Crete - Sfakia - is very good too, with German mountain troops.

FH2 has nine maps, half of which have large expanses of open desert without much cover for infantry. The other half are either mostly infantry with a few light vehicles, or with cover and concealment for infantry everywhere, rather like say RO Konigsplatz. ie. If one runs around a soldier will be cut down quickly, but one should know better.

However on all the maps there is always plenty of cover from tanks around control points, including craters, trenches and bunkers of great variety. Very rarely can tankers_take_control points... nothing like BF2 or BF1942.

I've played about 6 maps so far, and I think 4 of them have been large wide open tank maps, which I now hate and will try to avoid. Combined arms in this mod does not work at all thanks to infantry having no effective counter at all to tanks, which they didn't have at this point in the war but that's one realistic feature I don't like.

LOL. "No effective counter at all to tanks"????!!! What about the German 88? And the British six-pounder?

So you haven't noticed the wide variety of anti-tank guns in superbly dug-in positions?! And all the variety of smaller anti-tank guns that can be rolled into creative new positions!

Just fire one round of an 88 in FH2 at a tank and try to wipe that smile off your face, I dare you. (88's can be used vs aircraft and infantry too with HE)

After RO I realized I was spoiled by the panzerfausts lying around everywhere. Even the Russians in RO get them. Hmmmph. =|

To combat tanks in FH2 there are..other tanks, AT guns (can be knocked out and repaired), aircraft with bombs and 20mm canons. There is artillery. The infantry have AT rifles, sticky bombs & 3kg Geballte Ladung (very effective). And the infantry have AT mines which are extremely effective, particularly as the control points have very limited access routes for tanks, if tanks can approach at all. In Fh2 maps there are very intelligent defensive lines of pre-placed minefields, AT obstacles & AT ditches.

Yes in the_open_desert tanks were often king, but grunts were still required to capture the vital points. Same in FH2. But it's true, be prepared to die a lot as an infantryman if your AT-guns are knocked out, you have no other support, your position is being overrun, and you thoughtlessly run into the open..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like RO, but I love FH2 a good bit more ATM.

- Yes it is a bit arcady (but much less so than vanilla BF2/BF1942). Is the gameplay more arcady than RO? Perhaps - but only fractionally. But it makes up for it in my mind with greater detail, variety and fidelity in other areas. How realistic is RO to have working AT guns (with limited function) on 1(?) map!??! And no Panzerschrecks and bazookas?

The reson the AT gun is only in 1 map is because its a DH/AHZ creation that only Evilhobo has been allowed to use so far. Wait for the AHZ release and you'll see it in lots of maps.

Upvote 0
The toolbox is not perfect yet, but it will allow me to see where the RO-players are playing. Usually I join the same server and get into the same fireteam.
For the record, when ingame hit your "INS" key and watch out for a squadname called "RO-team" , that's usually a squad with RO-players enjoying FH2.

Monk.

Upvote 0
LOL. "No effective counter at all to tanks"????!!! What about the German 88? And the British six-pounder?

So you haven't noticed the wide variety of anti-tank guns in superbly dug-in positions?! And all the variety of smaller anti-tank guns that can be rolled into creative new positions!

Just fire one round of an 88 in FH2 at a tank and try to wipe that smile off your face, I dare you. (88's can be used vs aircraft and infantry too with HE)

"Excuse me Mr.Tank, please stop shooting at me while I get in this AT gun and slowly turn it round to face you, theres a nice chap"

I've been pinned down by tanks many times on FH2 while capping, and once it's there you are pretty much pinned down until you call arty or air support on it, a friendly tank rolls along, or God parts the heavens and toasts it with a lightning bolt. I'm obviously not talking about tanks attacking a prepared position where you've got the luxury of mine fields and AT guns all around, but if you go and cap a position and an enemy tank comes along you have to get in the nearest trench and pray for salvation. As it is tanks can just roll up to a lone infantry squad at a cap point and massacre them without much resistance, which is exactly what turned me off from BF2.

Also,
The AT gun is really quite good on the 64 player version of Mersa. I racked up 20 kills with the thing defending the main road from Jerry, being able to move the thing around is a big plus.

Upvote 0
I've been pinned down by tanks many times on FH2 while capping, and once it's there you are pretty much pinned down until you call arty or air support on it, a friendly tank rolls along, or God parts the heavens and toasts it with a lightning bolt. I'm obviously not talking about tanks attacking a prepared position where you've got the luxury of mine fields and AT guns all around, but if you go and cap a position and an enemy tank comes along you have to get in the nearest trench and pray for salvation. As it is tanks can just roll up to a lone infantry squad at a cap point and massacre them without much resistance, which is exactly what turned me off from BF2.

But that is realism. If there is just a lone infantry squad armed with rifles and smgs, standing in the middle of a cap zone without nearby cover, and an enemy tank comes rolling in, then the infantry are going to be a bit screwed over.

That is why the AT guns should always be manned when defending cap zones, so they can take out enemy tanks from the side, as the tanks drive right past (this is a good tactic on Mersa).

If you think, both sides didn't have good anti tank weaponry at this stage in the war, hence both teams having to use primitive anti tank rifles, which weren't suited for infantry countering tanks at a moments notice, where weapons like panzerfausts, bazookas etc. were. So, until we see other campaigns, where the infantry can whip out a faust, dive into cover and fire at the oncoming tank taking it out, we will have to live with infantry being outmatched by tanks.

Upvote 0
Well, most cappoints seem to have AT-guns nearby.
Alone you must be very lucky to use it if the tank is allready there.
With a squad you just perform a diversion and somebody else uses the AT-gun to finish the tank off.
I'v even seen engineers who plant mines before and behind enemy tanks without them noticing it.
So a tank is a threat, but certainly not one which cann't be eliminated.
They cann't even cap so they have to come out :D

Monk.

ps the proning and shooting from IS 1 nanosecond later is beginning to irritate me, but that must be because my reflexes are subpar nowadays ;)

Upvote 0
NewBitmapImage-4.jpg

I broke the terrain.

Upvote 0