• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Forest sequel

I like KF-Forest_2 but I'm worried people could mistake it for another version of KF-Forest. KF-ForestSequel would be an option but it sounds stilted. :/

The other names focus too much on fortifications for my liking. This map is going to appear on signs in the game with a marker where the sign is on the map:
Still WIP (the final map will be burned into wood like those national park signs usually are..): http://i.imgur.com/RKJ3txh.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/RKJ3txh.jpg

Just to give you an idea how much area there is: One side of the map is over 2km!
I show screenies of the buildings, of course, but it's not like it's a dense collection of fortifications. It's a huge landscape with some landmarks in it!

KF-Woodland sounds fitting to me, at the moment.

New cliffpath:
lcWDamj.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like KF-Forest_2 but I'm worried people could mistake it for another version of KF-Forest. KF-ForestSequel would be an option but it sounds stilted.

Just to give you an idea how much area there is: One side of the map is over 2km!
I show screenies of the buildings, of course, but it's not like it's a dense collection of fortifications. It's a huge landscape with some landmarks in it!

KF-Woodland

Wow, huge map! Will be interesting to see how it plays with so much space.
Fair enough, I can dig it.

Upvote 0
The map is canceled!!!

Why: Unfortunately, it's not possible to create a path network for the ZEDs this huge. Even with the PathNodes at a maximum distance from each-other - even with just PathNodes on the little roads and paths through the map but none in the wilderness - there are simply too many for the engine to handle.

BUT: if you're interested in taking a stroll through the unfinished (!) map here is a download of the map-file:
Download UNFINISHED FOREST MAP

You also have my permission to use any model or texture you can find in this for your own free Killing Floor projects, except for the terrain itself! Of course, you can use whatever is on it though, which includes 4 birch models, a few fir trees, bushes, grasses, little rocks, a few models of old miner huts, two creeks... Just check out the pictures in this topic! It's all yours!

Here is a download with just the more interesting StaticMeshes in one map, waiting to be copy+pasted into exciting projects:
Download map-file with JUST the interesting models

(a small note if you're going to use my birches: The one in the Map have a bark texture with my lighting painted on it. It won't look good in your map with different lighting! Please use the birches from the models-only map-file instead, i.e. the second download link, as these use the intended regular bark texture that's going to look great in your map, with your lighting. Sorry for the inconvenience!)

It would be a nice gesture if you mentioned me if you're going to use my stuff. Sending me screenshots of what you did with it would be even nicer! Neither is required though.

Enjoy! :)

Upvote 0
Murphy, please reconsider cancelling the map. Why not take some of your favorite sections or elements and make a smaller map. You have so many cool elements and I am sure that you spent many long hours working on, it would be such a shame to let it go. What about breaking the map into sections and calling it a trilogy. Oh, "Blackheath Forest".

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it's not possible to create a path network for the ZEDs this huge. Even with the PathNodes at a maximum distance from each-other - even with just PathNodes on the little roads and paths through the map but none in the wilderness - there are simply too many for the engine to handle.

You could still use RoadPathNodes, since they allow you to customize their maximum distance. Even though that makes zeds act a little clumsy on pathfinding, at least it should work.

Upvote 0