• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For Poeple That Can't Start the Game - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive President
Oct 11, 2005
www.redorchestragame.com
We are creating a new thread for poeple that cannot start the game as many of the issues relating to poeple not starting the game (such as ZoneAlarm) have been resolved and we want to get a clear picture of any problems that poeple are still having and determine the cause of these problems.

Just a few ground rules for this thread.

1) Please do not use this thread as a place to vent at the devs. That is only going to clutter up this thread and make it more difficult for us to sort out the issues poeple are having in this thread. If you need to rant, please start another thread and rant in that one :)

2) If you cannot start the game and you have Zone Alarm installed, please refer to this thread: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6017 . That thread contains a workaround for the problem provided by Valve.

3) If you cannot start the game due to a conflict with Norton System Works you don't need to reply to this thread. We are aware of this issue and are working with Valve on a fix.

4) If you don't even see the RO splash screen when trying to launch the game that means there is a Steam related issue preventing you from starting the game. This includes the "Precondition Assertion" error that some poeple are receiving. Please go to http://www.steampowered.com for support for these types of issues.

5) Please do not post a message that says something along the lines of "I have the same problem as everyone else, please help." Please describe the problem that you are having, so we get a handle on how many poeple are having the different types of issues.

Now with that out of the way, before posting in this thread, please do the following:

1) Delete RedOrchestra.ini and User.ini in your SteamApps\UserName\Red Orchestra folder. If these files became corrupted, or have been manually edited and messed up, deleting them will cause them to be regenerated on the next game launch, and this has fixed the problem for some poeple.

2) If #1 above doesn't work, then do the following In steam right click the Red Orchestra Icon, then select local files, then click verify integrity of game cache. Once that is complete, delete your Red Orchestra directory in your SteamApps\Username folder. Once you have done that, launch the game. Any corrupted files should be replaced and the game should launch at this point.

3) If 1 and 2 above do not work, please make a post in this thread with three files attached (packed in a zip file preferrably). The first two files are RedOrchestra.log, and minidump-v3339.dmp which you should find in your SteamApps\UserName\Red Orchestra\System folder. The third file is a windows minidump file. If launching RO causes your computer to reboot, please post that file as well. After the reboot, open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump. Inside the Minidump folder, look for the dmp file type whose date modified attribute matches the date and time the reboot happened. We can then use these files to help determine what might be going wrong on your system.

4) Post the error message or crash log in your post, as well as posting as much information about your system as possible.

Finally, we are looking for volunteers to help track down a particular launch issue. We are unable to recreate this crash locally, and we would like some volunteers that are getting this crash that are willing to help us try and debug it.

Critical Error:

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2213 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: No Video
SetFilePointer Failed 64/2697509: 64 The system cannot find the path specified.
History: FArchiveFileReader::Seek <- ULinkerLoad::Seek <- LoadNames <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- UObject::GetPackageLinker <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class Engine.GameEngine NULL) <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

If you get the above crash when launching the game and are willing to volunteer to help try and track down and fix this issue, please PM me.

Once again, thanks for your patience while we work to solve these issues.

Regards,

John Gibson
President
Tripwire Interactive

I start game game, it loads and then shuts down computer. Two times I've been able to load the game but it will only let me stay for a few seconds untill it shuts down computer.

Cant find any minidump in my windows folder - it's empty - so I've just uploaded RO minidump and log.

System:
AthlonXP 2,4 Ghz
768 MB RAM
Geforce fx5900xt 128MB
Soundblaster Live!
Windows XP Pro

Dont have Zone Alarm installed.

Attachments

• minidump&log.zip
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I don't like the idea that the problems from the 'previous' thread have all been solved, as they haven't for me. I did manage to get one minidump and log file posted in the old thread (hope it still exists) but my problems generally do NOT produce any logs:

When I load the game and I'm crusing the menus, adjust settings, setting up a practice match, looking at the online server, the game very often freezes my computer (audio will screech, the image will freeze, and I am forced to hard reset the system).

I can, however, play the game just fine (as long as I don't use the in-game menus). I even went so far as to install Gamespy Arcade to load my games so I can completely avoid the menus in this game. While playing online I may get a hard freeze on occasion (same screeching, hard reset) but its much rarer and I can often play for hours without problems.

Things I've tried:
1) All the items suggested at the beginning of this thread.
2) Running Ostfront on ONE of my cores instead of both (force CPU 0 affinity).
3) Tried forcing the nVidia display drivers to not use both cores when playing Ostfront.
4) Tried moving and then tried REmoving my soundcard.

Specs:
Athlon 64 3800+ X2
EVGA nForce 4 SLI Motherboard
2 Gigs of RAM
Geforce 7800 GT 256
Soundblaster Audigy
Windows XP Pro

No Zone Alarm, No Norton...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jet Black,

Noone said that all the problems from the prior thread was fixed. The problem was that the other thread was a mix of fixed problems and non fixed problems, and we are trying to narrow the scope down to remaining issues.

In your case, it sounds like you have an IRQ sharing/driver issue with your computer. This happens when two devices (usually a video card and a sound card) try and use the same resources at the same time. The audio screech is a tell-tale sign of this.

Upvote 0
I got RO to work

I got RO to work

hi everyone,

I finally got RO to work after having a no video error then after first update, a run time error..

I noticed the problem was computer related when i also downloaded another steam product called earth 2160 and it too did not work.. yet all the other games like BF2 and Counterstrike source did work.

So my decision was to reformat my computer and do a fresh install of the operating system and then steam..

Basically i didn't re-install many programs back on..

i did the following order..

1. Reformat
2. Install windows XP
3. update windows XP and updated vid card drivers and other drivers relating to hardware.
4. Installed panda antivirus
5. Installed steam
6. download all steam games

7. Got it working..

then i installed some other programs on and it still works..
if anything happens i will let you know..

I hope this help as i believe now that most issues could be related to programs we have on our computers that conflict with it..

I tried other fixes and trick that have been posted on these forums, but the one i did above worked for me..

Cheers!

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
Jet Black,

Noone said that all the problems from the prior thread was fixed. The problem was that the other thread was a mix of fixed problems and non fixed problems, and we are trying to narrow the scope down to remaining issues.

In your case, it sounds like you have an IRQ sharing/driver issue with your computer. This happens when two devices (usually a video card and a sound card) try and use the same resources at the same time. The audio screech is a tell-tale sign of this.

It was suggested that this was a problem but as I mentioned I completely removed my soundcard and I still got the freeze. Other than my soundcard the only other expansion cards is my graphics card, so I can't really take that out :D But even with no sound, I could go in the menu for a couple of minutes and then eventually the whole system froze.

If you can explain to me how my soundcard can still conflict with my system when it's sitting on my desk, then I'll accept that as the issue :p

Additionally, all my other games work fine: Quake 4, CoD2, NFS:MW, SW:Battlefront... no issues. And again, this game runs perfectly fine if I avoid the menus! :D

Upvote 0
New install from Steam, here's the dump/log

New install from Steam, here's the dump/log

I just installed this from Steam, and am getting the following error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime error
Program: ....\RedOrchestra.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

This PC is a brand new build (about 2 weeks old.) Running Windows XP Pro SP2.
AMD Opteron 175 Dual Core
Dual ATI X1900XT's in Crossfire
2GB PC4000 RAM
Creative X-Fi Gamer Sound Card
Dual WD Raptors 10k RPM in RAID0

I deleted the files listed above, but I am not willing to uninstall Steam and all of the games that I have installed via Steam just to get this to work. If there's not an easy fix, I will be getting a refund. Every other game that is running on this rig runs perfectly, including UT2k4. All drivers are up to date, and all pertinent Windows Updates are installed.

Attachments

• ROerrortorgo.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Dear RO Ramm-Jaeger....please also have a look at the freezes and lockups thread. I suppose I can post here because the game is unplayable...or I should say it sort of starts...but sometimes (twice) I've been able to play it for more than 5 minutes...then freeze/lock up ....or in the case of just trying it right now a reboot. I will post my RO log file, but I do not and can't find the minidump files. They do not exist in my system. I do not have hidden files hidden as I've checked my folder options. Anyway, your help in resolving this issue is much appreciated.....thanks.

Upvote 0
Two thing I wanted to add:

1) Maybe an audio 'squelch' is the wrong word. It's sort of garbled sound, not necessarily consistent...
2) Played the game for a while last night and then it froze mid action after about 45 minutes. I have a log file but no minidump. There appears to be a LOT of warnings... is that normal? Everything verifies properly:

Attachments

• RedOrchestra.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Error when trying to Launch Red Orchestra

Error when trying to Launch Red Orchestra

Attached minidump, dxdiag and screenshot of error message.
I can get the Red Orchestra splashscreen if I press ignore 3 times but
computer restarts after it.

This is 1st game I have problems with this computer.

RedOrchestra.log
--
Uninitialized: Log file open, 04/26/06 17:31:53
Uninitialized: appRequestExit(1)
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 04/26/06 17:31:53
--

Attachments

• Red.zip
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Error.JPG
    Error.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I suffered a bad crash the first and only time I was able to play the game. Next time I tried to start the game I got the Runtime error for the first time. The crash occured during a map load. After waiting a long time the map did not load and I was unable to return to the menu. As I could not not ctrl-alt-delete or do anything I had to restart my computer.

Despite all attempts to fix the problem include options 1 and 2 I am still getting the problem. I posted my minidump file and Kamakaze looked at it but he found nothing.

Upvote 0
Runtime Error

Runtime Error

I purchased this game via steam yesterday. I get the same as torgo above. I have tried the suggested fixes, and even the zone alarm fix although I run sygate (which i have tried disabling) - no change.

I get Runtime error after the splashscreen, and do not need to reboot windows. RedOrchestra.exe Runtime Error, Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

I here attach the minilog. The Red Orchestra log file has zero bytes.

I am running a dell XPS system on Windows XP 5.1 (build: 2600) Service Pack 2. Intel Pentium 4 at 3192 MHz. GeForce 6800 256megs.

Like torgo, I wont reinstall Steam or Windows to get this working.
:eek:

Attachments

• minidump-v3339.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I got this message: Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2943 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: No Video
General protection fault!
History: FPixoRenderInterface::popState <- ULevel::BuildRenderData <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I solved it by just deleting RedOrchestra.ini , maybe thats a solution to this problem too.

Upvote 0
As it says in the first post, please do not use this thread to rant or say "when will this be fixed". That is only going to clutter up this thread and make it harder to collect information to try and solve the problems. Any posts like that will just be deleted. Feel free to rant all you want in a separate thread :)

Earthman, deleting RedOrchestra.ini is the common solution for the "No Video" error. What can happen sometimes, is that the ini file can get corrupted if the computer restarts unexpecteded. Deleting that file regenerates a new one that is not corrupted.

For those getting the "Runtime Error", have you tried deleting your SteamApps\UserName\Red Orchestra folder? If anyone hasn't, could you try this and post your results here?

Finally, for those unwilling to reinstall Steam. Tripwire will do everything we can to help you debug your issues launching the game, but it is quite possible there are files within Steam that Red Orchestra uses that can become corrupt either due to hardware issues with your machine or other reasons. In these cases, the best way to ensure that those files are NOT the source of the issues is to reinstall steam and make certain the Steam directory is completely deleted. This does NOT mean that you have to redownload all your games. You can copy your .gcf files to a different directory, and then copy them back over after Steam is reinstalled.

So with that said, if all of the above fails, could someone who is getting the runtime error please try reinstalling Steam and RO (making certain both the RO and Steam directories are completely delete) and then post the results here?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
me too

me too

Misentry said:
Attached minidump, dxdiag and screenshot of error message.
I can get the Red Orchestra splashscreen if I press ignore 3 times but
computer restarts after it.

This is 1st game I have problems with this computer.

RedOrchestra.log
--
Uninitialized: Log file open, 04/26/06 17:31:53
Uninitialized: appRequestExit(1)
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 04/26/06 17:31:53
--

The dreaded Jit bug. Again I report this, for a month now. Click the mike twice if ya hear me son...

Upvote 0
Hi, little update to situation. The reason causing the error is this:

Harddrive 1, Partition 1: C:\ (Windows)
Harddrive 1, Partition 2: C:\Games (All games are located here, so this a 2nd partition of 1st harddrive mounted as directory under partition 1)
Harddrive 2, Single partition : C:\Store
Harddrive 3, Single partition : C:\Ware

So basically all my harddrives are mounted under one driveletter which is causing the error, when I mount my games partition as Z:\ and launch steam from there I can launch red orchestra without any errors. Mounting harddrives as directories is standard feature in NTFS, so I guess Red Orchestra coders should add support for that.

Now only problem remaining is BSOD after Red Orchestra Splash screen shows up. Going to try all possible solutions for that in these forums etc, hopefully I will finally get RO to work today :p

Upvote 0
I finally got the game to run after being plagued for a couple of weeks by the Runtime Error. I've tried everything I found posted in the forum without any luck until now. Here's what I did:

1. I uninstalled a program called Folder Lock. Another post mentioned that someone had trouble with Lock Folder, a different program but probably similar in its effects on the file system. However, I still got the Runtime Error even after re-booting.

2. I uninstalled RO, uninstalled Steam, and made sure there were no Steam or RO folders.

3. I reinstalled Steam and re-downloaded RO then exited Steam.

4. I started Steam using the -clientbeta fs command line since I am running Zone Alarm also.

5. I went into Games, Properties, and verified the RO files.

6. Clicked the Launch button and it worked.

My suspicion is that somehow having Folder Lock installed may have caused a corruption of the Steam and RO files. This is the 3rd time I had fully uinstalled and reinstalled Steam and RO. The only difference was step #1. I can't say for sure that Folder Lock was the problem but I suspect it was somehow related.

/edit - I have confirmed that Folder Lock is the problem. I reinstalled the latest version 5.5.7 -> Runtime Error -> uninstalled Folder Lock -> RO loads fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got rid of the BSOD when launching RO, this is what I did:

1) Uninstall Steam/RO
2) Cleaned up the system with abit with CCCleaner
3) Chddsk /fr on all harddrives (There where few errors but no bad sectors)
4) Reinstall Steam/RO

And RO works. Thanks to Kamikaze :)

EDIT: Almost forgot, I used -clientbeta fs parameter when launching steam and ro

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.