• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For gaming EXPERTS - FPS history

Oleg

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
Hi guys I need your expert help. Let's say I am working on FPS gaming quiz for my magazine. 1337 knowledge of FPS history is needed.

I will run some questions by you, please try to provide answers. This is NOT a quiz, you're just helping me create one, so answer what you feel you know, skip what you don't know or care for etc.

Feel free to suggest some questions of your own....

This is the first batch of questions (there will be more).

Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced "iron sights"?

Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced off-center weapons? (Remember how in Quake 1 you had all weapons right in the middle of the screen for example

Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced off-center weapons? (Remember how in Quake 1 you had all weapons right in the middle of the screen for example – if you are old enough to remember Q1 LOL)

In medal of honour 2/resistance for the PS1 i believe you could enable off centre aiming though it wasn't default, and games probably did it before hand. i may be wrong though...

Upvote 0
I was never big into multiplayer early on, i only played singleplayer parts due to lack of good connections, and not knowing how the stuff worked cause i was to young :D
I'll answer these 2 though.

- Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced "iron sights"?

To me, that would be Hidden and Dangerous 1. The default weapon view were the ironsights, you allways had them up in front of you.
Unfortunately, i cant find any screenshots and im to lazy to reinstall :D

Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced "localised" damage, ie headshots that kill faster than torso shots?
The first game i ever played that had this (and for as far as i can remember) is again Hidden and Dangerous.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but didn't the UT99 mod Infiltration introduce the first "true" iron sights? Could be wrong though.

Also, I think it was also the original UT that first had headshots... at least, that game definitely popularized the term.

Difficult to say.

No wait, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Thief also had "headshot" damage. Came out in 1998. Damn, that's 10 years ago! :)

Edit: found it on Wikipedia:

Along with Shiny Entertainment's MDK, GoldenEye is credited with popularizing the video game convention of a zoomable sniper rifle, enabling players to kill oblivious enemies from vast distances away with a single, precise headshot; context-sensitive enemy hit-locations were also pioneered by the game.

Upvote 0
Which was the first FPS game that started as mod, and was sold as commercial product later?

Probably Counter Strike.

Got a question you might like to put in your quiz; Which was the first FPS to introduce player controlled jumping?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Doom, maybe Duke Nukem 3D?

Upvote 0
Sorry, but didn't the UT99 mod Infiltration introduce the first "true" iron sights? Could be wrong though.

Also, I think it was also the original UT that first had headshots... at least, that game definitely popularized the term.

Difficult to say.

No wait, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Thief also had "headshot" damage. Came out in 1998. Damn, that's 10 years ago! :)

Edit: found it on Wikipedia:

SiN had excessive headshot damage back in the day (1998). I would have given this as my answer but it looks like it got beaten by Goldeneye 007 a year earlier.

Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced classes in multiplayer?

Team fortress for the original quake?

Upvote 0

Quite wrong, Serpentine (Unreal mod) was doing it long before then, as was the Q2 mod D-day, they may even predate H&D, im not sure when that was released.

EDIT: If H&D came out in July 99, then i do belive the real race is between Serpentine and D-day Q2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced "iron sights"?
3d iron sights were introduced by the D-Day mod for Quake as far as I know. I don't know who invented 2d iron sights though.

Wolfenstein 3d weapons kind of look like they were in a permanent iron-sight mode, though they sit a bit low for a real iron-sight view. You might need a better definition of what you mean by that. A seperate iron-sight function maybe? One you have to enable by pressing a button.

Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced "localised" damage, ie headshots that kill faster than torso shots?

You might need a better definition for that too since it was a lot more common for end-bosses than for regular enemies. For example almost every platformer or jump'n'run has "localized" damage for end-bosses as in "you need to hit him at his weak spot to harm him" though it only came later for common foes too.

Which FPS game (or mod) first introduced classes in multiplayer?
I guess that would be Team Fortress. Not Classic.

Which was the first FPS game that started as mod, and was sold as commercial product later?
Could be Counterstrike. Stuff before was mostly sold as add-on if at all. Like, a new campaign for an existing game. I don't think you want to count that, do you?:confused:

Upvote 0