• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For all new players

Yes. Please look towards the bottom of the server list screen to see your options for filters. You can filter out empty servers, full servers, and very importantly, you can choose which difficulty you want the server list to only display. If you're new, please filter to Beginner, or Normal after you have a feel of the gameplay.

Upvote 0
Please don't join suicidal - hell on heart servers

Surprisingly this level 2 berserker joined in a suicidal server. We accidently killed ourselves on wave 6 where there were still 56 specimen alive, and he somehow soloed all of it. --

Then again, I have a suspicion he could be a veteran player who bought another copy of KF to take advantage of the event.

But then again, I do agree with you. But that one time event recently made me feel a bit weird seeing a level 2 zerker solo it.

Upvote 0
I was actually thinking of posting something similar, but also giving new peeps some pointers. Afterall, we were all new guys at some stage.

I would offer the following advice:

A level 0 perk on anything above hard skill level will ruin your enjoyment of the game if you're unfamiliar with map layout/game mechanics. You'll last a couple of waves if you're lucky. You'll die and eventually just quit the server. This isn't good and will generally give you a negative feel for the game.

Try levelling up a specific perk for a while (I chose Support when I first started out), you'll have much more fun and won't feel as if the game is impossible. You can level up to 2, maybe 3 quite quickly just playing solo or on easier skilled servers.

Stay as part of the team or as part of mini squads. Going Rambo solo generally means death in this game. Generally.

If you have spare cash then it's general etiquette to offer it to those who are in need of it. Also, if you quit the game, it's also nice to bung whatever cash you have to others. Every little helps (this is just something I do personally).

Heal your buddies. Use the quicktool key to select between welder/medigun.

Set up your command keys (medic, welding, help, etc). Or use VOIP. It helps a ton if you're in trouble or need co-ordination.

Try to keep this thread non "n00b-ish" and offer help. We're all here for the same thing, afterall.

Upvote 0
I was just playing a Hard/Long on Westlondon...and these three guys were playing as Lv.0 Sharp, Lv.1 Berserk, and Lv.1 Sharp respectively. I play Sharp, and despite all my best efforts to coach the sharps on how to...not throw away all your bullets. I just decided that...it was more efficient and easier for the rest of the team if we just let them die, and learn their lesson that way. Rather then try and waste my own life/ammo to save them as they ran headlong into hordes of trash specimen.

Also, tried soloing fleshpounds after I asked them to let me handle them. Then they proceed to do the whole "OMG WHAT THE EFF WHY DIDNT YOU HELP ME?"

I lol'd.

Upvote 0
I was just playing a Hard/Long on Westlondon...and these three guys were playing as Lv.0 Sharp, Lv.1 Berserk, and Lv.1 Sharp respectively. I play Sharp, and despite all my best efforts to coach the sharps on how to...not throw away all your bullets. I just decided that...it was more efficient and easier for the rest of the team if we just let them die, and learn their lesson that way. Rather then try and waste my own life/ammo to save them as they ran headlong into hordes of trash specimen.

Also, tried soloing fleshpounds after I asked them to let me handle them. Then they proceed to do the whole "OMG WHAT THE EFF WHY DIDNT YOU HELP ME?"

I lol'd.

Or they shoot the fleshpound with small arms while you're kiting it/trying to line up a shot. That has caused many, many of my deaths.

Upvote 0
Good thing I own a server. Newcomers will be booted the moment they join.

I used to give a chance for all new players, thinking "Hey, maybe this guy can handle himself just fine" but Ive NEVER seen a low level player perform well on Suicidal or HoE, unless its someone who reseted his perks but even they have massive struggles and leech too much money from the team. So Ive come to the conclusion that its better kick them all while you still have a chance, so they dont end up ruining the game for everyone else on the server who might be going for achievements.

Im suprised that the default filter setting is still "Any Difficulty", I cant imagine it to be so hard to change? These events just make things worse too with so many new people joining in, and makes something enjoyable a pain for everyone playing on harder difficulties. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake74
Upvote 0
So much for keeping this thread a positive, friendly, helpful place for new players. I am disappoint. :(

Oh. There's lots they can do to learn. But if they insist on joining Hell on Earth/Suicidal difficulties, how can the other players be expected to hold their hand and walk them through mechanics...when they are fighting for their own lives? It is just unnecessary stress.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Read the controls menu before playing.

Read the server browser before using it. Don't join servers that run a difficulty level you can't handle or are located on the other side of the planet.

If a veteran gives reasonable advice, heed it. You do not know better than them after playing for twenty minutes.

Similarly, if there's a lone survivor struggling to keep it together, don't tell him what to do unless you actually know yourself, which you probably don't, or he asks for help, which he probably won't. Just let him concentrate.

Don't spam "I need some money", don't block trader doorways, and don't steal cash that was clearly intended for someone else.

Stick with your team and don't overreach. If you try to show off, you will only embarrass yourself.

Apologies for the tone, but someone had to say it.

Reactions: Gregs2k2
Upvote 0
Stay as part of the team or as part of mini squads.
Heal your buddies. Use the quicktool key to select between welder/medigun...

Especially these two. You'll notice people will wander away from the group to get more kills, die and them blame "the sh*tty medic" for not healing them. We've all seen horror movies. Never leave the group!

Upvote 0
I'm always trying to help new players :) But, mostly they die at the start of the wave.
But thats normal... Killing Floor isn't that game you pick up and are a pro :p You have to learn & master it.

No, you can't master it. But it's not a difficult game to learn. It's just that...people don't listen to the advice of others, and run off Rambo style and get killed off too quickly to have any time to ACTUALLY learn.

Can't do much learning if you're a corpse all the time.

Upvote 0
Use weapons designated for your perk.
-Don't run around with Axes and Bullpups as a sharpshooter.

Play as your perk is intended. Take the time and aim for the head as Sharp.

Heed the advice given to you by veterans, who will most likely give you advice.

Do your best to stay out of people's way, physically.
-Don't crowd doorways, or block other people.
-Dear god do not walk in front of a Sharpshooter, or a demo.
-If you are low health, and a medic is nearby, try and find a safe spot to stop moving so he/she can heal you.

Play defensively, not offensively.
-As a low level your killing power WILL be limited, so support the higher leveled perks, rather than trying to be an all-star. It just will not happen.

It doesn't help people's opinion of you if you are demanding money constantly.

Upvote 0