• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Focus on the T-34 76

[RO]Wilsonam said:
You are basically seeing the effect in a static picture of the gun recoiling and the tank shuddering...

That makes a lot of sense

[RO]Wilsonam said:
Yes, the PTRD sights are offset - always were!

I know the sights are offset, I meant does the carriage really recoil, and is the recoiling carriage modelled in the game?

Man, I keep looking at these screenies, they're so impressive.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
BTW: Can someone identify for me what on the MG corresponds to what on this diagram (from Battlfield.ru)?
t34_52.gif

dtsight7kf.jpg

1. This is the thing you point at whatever you want to die.
2. Little pointy things used to kill people are in here.

Upvote 0
Troels said:
1. This is the thing you point at whatever you want to die.
2. Little pointy things used to kill people are in here.

Thanks so much for the in depth, technical explaination ;)

I'm curious, these MG's were pretty well secured, so I wouldn't expect any recoil. But would we still get a "vibration" effect for the person pulling the trigger? In other words, though the aim would "recoil" off, would we see "camera shake" due to the MG shaking the players heads?

I have no idea what's realistic in this scenario, as I've never fired a gun before, much less a Machine Gun, much less a Machine Gun embedded in a tank.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Thanks so much for the in depth, technical explaination ;)

I'm curious, these MG's were pretty well secured, so I wouldn't expect any recoil. But would we still get a "vibration" effect for the person pulling the trigger? In other words, though the aim would "recoil" off, would we see "camera shake" due to the MG shaking the players heads?

I have no idea what's realistic in this scenario, as I've never fired a gun before, much less a Machine Gun, much less a Machine Gun embedded in a tank.

Weeelllllllllllllllll

i guess it would still vibrate, since someone did state that weapons do not only have Recoil in the Direction of the Stock, but also horizontally and vertically (at least some Techhead did say this on these Boards). So i would guess there would be a bit of shaking, since the Weapon is fixed in one Direction but still quite flexible.

Upvote 0
Yes, no matter how well secured a barrel is, there is always vibration. This vibration can actually affect rate of fire in some cases. For example, the PAK 43/41's long barrel was prone to heavy vibration above 15 rounds a minute, so the rate of fire had to be kept equal or less to that in order to ensure accuracy.

Also, the reason that the barrel looks like it is blurred probably is not because it is actualy moving horizontally/vertically all that much, but because the devs are trying to simulate your own view shaking with the concussion.

Now, about the news topic itself: simply magnificent. Especially the Russian tanker leaning around the hatch. Will we be able to control the leaning around the hatch, or peak over the top?

Although these are stills, you can get an idea of teh animation as well by the pic with the Germans running from the T-34, and the dead German on the ground is rendered much more realistically than in the mod.

Nice new explosion effects on the Stug. Question: will tanks explode every time you wittle their "health" down, or do you have to actually hit the ammunition stowage now? Would be nice to have tanks knocked out but not necessarily brewing up every time. I know in the mod you can do this already, and get a critical hit, but you can also make the health go from white to red and the tank blows up regardless, it would be cool if tanks with destroyed interiors but no explosion, or slow burning, were modeled other than just explosions.

Finally, the new smoke looks very good, as does teh new texturing on both soldiers and tanks.

Can't wait for the game to come out, it looks like it will be really a god-send for those of us who like armored warfare.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
Also, the reason that the barrel looks like it is blurred probably is not because it is actualy moving horizontally/vertically all that much, but because the devs are trying to simulate your own view shaking with the concussion.

Actually the reason the barel looks blurred is because I merged the "before" and "after" shots of the T34 firing.

In the mod, from what I understand, the rounds simulated a "generic" shot, that hit like an AP round when hitting a tank, but blew up like an HE when hitting anything else, so infantry could get hit too.

Since ROOST has different ammo types, I'm sure we'll see more fidelity in this department. I'm hoping that APHE rounds will penetrate (if armor is thin enough), THEN explode, killing the crew without the big explosion necessarily, unless the ammo is hit.

Assuming it was possible in RL to get an APHE round in without a cook-off of the ammo. Perhaps if the tank is low on ammo....

Upvote 0
APHE rounds did NOT explode after penetrating. They carried small exposive charges that detonated on impact, for two reasons:

1. The "bursting charge" would provide extra energy to the impact round at the moment of strike, hopefully giving it that little bit extra energy to allow the solid head to penetrate.
2. It also provided the gunner with a good clue where he had hit, if it failed to penetrate.

As an aside, the action of round on armour gets quite strange - I think I've babbled about this elsewhere. For instance, in many cases, the "solid" shot will actually melt on impact, due to the immense localised transition of kinetic energy to potential. It is often that molten stream of metal that penetrates, rather than a solid lump. Obviously, a jet of super-heated metal entering the interior can have catastrophic effects, depending on what it hits!

Upvote 0
Valac said:
I didn't know that. It does make sense though. Teach me more please!
There are a number of ways that AP rounds defeat armour:
  1. The round impacts, remains mostly intact and is durable enough, carrying enough energy to penetrate; some or all of the round penetrates in solid form. The solid "bits" will inevitably cause damage.
  2. The round impacts, melts as it penetrates, as well as causing some of the armour to melt on the inside; a molten jet forms and will cause serious damage to anything it hits. Of course, it may not hit anything vital - but think heat, fuel and ammunition!
  3. The round impacts and "overmatches" the armour by such an extent that the armour actually disintegrates. This is a catastrophic failure of the armour and factors include the hardness of the armour, quality and size of the round impacting. Because much of the energy is disippated (sp?) it is only "soft" elements inside the vehicle that will be damaged. Like people!
  4. A smaller version of this is when a round impacts and doesn't penetrate, but causes "spalling" - chunks of the armour fly off the inside and rattle around. With early tanks, a direct hit on a rivet-head might cause the rivet to do the same!
Any use :)?

DJBourgeoisie said:
Would just like to say thanks for making a ww2 shooter for the die hards and not making it run n gun like all the others out there.
Well - people WILL be able to "just" run'n'gun if they want to - how do you think that last assault across a ruined street will go :)? The desperate fight for the last couple of rooms of a house? Who do you want leading your advance through the enemy trenches :)?

Now, me, I'm old and slow - but I just know that I want someone with lightning reflexes in those close-quarters moments. I intend to be 20 metres back "covering" them :)

Actually, make that old and sneaky!

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
APHE rounds did NOT explode after penetrating. They carried small exposive charges that detonated on impact, for two reasons:

1. The "bursting charge" would provide extra energy to the impact round at the moment of strike, hopefully giving it that little bit extra energy to allow the solid head to penetrate.
2. It also provided the gunner with a good clue where he had hit, if it failed to penetrate.

As an aside, the action of round on armour gets quite strange - I think I've babbled about this elsewhere. For instance, in many cases, the "solid" shot will actually melt on impact, due to the immense localised transition of kinetic energy to potential. It is often that molten stream of metal that penetrates, rather than a solid lump. Obviously, a jet of super-heated metal entering the interior can have catastrophic effects, depending on what it hits!

Interesting. What about the AP rounds with delayed fuses? I thought those were intended to detonate just after impact.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Interesting. What about the AP rounds with delayed fuses? I thought those were intended to detonate just after impact.
No such thing - they detonate as close to impact as possible. The only "delay" is a problem in the fusing mechanism of the odd millsecond.

As another aside, it has since been shown that bursting charges served no purpose as far as penetration goes... :)

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
No such thing - they detonate as close to impact as possible. The only "delay" is a problem in the fusing mechanism of the odd millsecond.

As another aside, it has since been shown that bursting charges served no purpose as far as penetration goes... :)

Ah, I think I got confused with Fuse Delayed HE rounds, meant to go off after penetrating into buildings and such. Those did exist, right?

One of Witzig's posts mentions it

Witzig said:
Well i guess Ramm-J

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:

The Tiger carried HE Round with Delay Fuses, and HE Rounds wich exploded upon Contact. Then there were 2 Types of AP Rounds avaible (Wolfram as Core) and 1 Type of Hollow Charge Tank Ammo.

And thats about is it.

Upvote 0