• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Focus on the T-34 76

Witzig said:
I know you can't tell us what we get as Next Media Info :) But can you tell us if there will be anything more up to the end of this Weekend ? :)
We are aiming to get about two updates a week out, not counting any linkage to nice things people write about us :)

Could we perhaps get a official word on the view distance indeed being much further than in the mod or not?
Depends on the map :) In some cases, most definitely "yes"!

And as a heads-up to all concerned: all of the screenshots you've seen to date are as they come out of the game. The only "manipulation" has been the logo/watermarks. No in-game screenshots have been harmed in the making of any of our news postings!

Upvote 0
I think Witzig is a genius.

What you said about going into ragdoll for a second when you are wounded, and then sort of snapping out kinda blew my mind. I'm just sitting here thinking how incredibly cool that would be. The stumble step, the shooter finally getting the edge they earned with the shot, the panic as your body spasms from the impact and shock of taking a bullet. Perhaps it's because RO is pretty much the only computer game I play these days, but I've never heard that idea before. I think that would be an amazing effect.

Forgive me if the concept is old news. :)

The player models look amazing. Rounded enough for reality, but not the balloon men I've seen in other games. Well done.

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
This is actual a common misconception about video games. The standard FOV in games is 90 degrees (or 85 degrees in RO's case) but that does not mean you have a 2X magnification by default. The 90 degrees rendered in a video game is just a "slice" of the approximate 170 degrees most humans can see. It is kind of like if you put your hands in front of your face beside your eyes limiting your peripheral vision. Your now viewing less of an FOV, but your not viewing items in front of you at any type of magnification.

Anyway, the T34-76 uses a TMFD sight with a magnification of 2.5x which is what it is set in game. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean that the game gives you a 2x magnification, I was just trying to make everything equal in terms of FoV.

So I assume that it's a 2.5x magnification on what you see is a 2.5x magnification compared to what you would see when sitting outside the tank without a telescopic sight. That makes sense.

So if we have a 90 degree FoV horizontally unscoped, math tells us we have a 67.5 degree FoV vertically. with a 2.5x magnification, we would expect to see an FoV in the scope of 27 degrees (based on the vertical, because it's circle - don't count the matted off bits on the sides) - maybe a little less due to the small matt on the bottom and top.

The reason I'm asking though, is because it would also make sense to use a magnification based on "real life" view of 170 degrees. If we have a 2.5x magnification based on that, we would expect an FoV of 68 if we could see edge to edge (which we can't because of the scope optics).

But it turns out in Real Life, the sight gives a 25 degree FoV in (according to tarrif.net ) anyways, so it all works out.

Fore a detailed discussion see: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tripper said:
I think Witzig is a genius.

What you said about going into ragdoll for a second when you are wounded, and then sort of snapping out kinda blew my mind. I'm just sitting here thinking how incredibly cool that would be. The stumble step, the shooter finally getting the edge they earned with the shot, the panic as your body spasms from the impact and shock of taking a bullet. Perhaps it's because RO is pretty much the only computer game I play these days, but I've never heard that idea before. I think that would be an amazing effect.

Forgive me if the concept is old news. :)

The player models look amazing. Rounded enough for reality, but not the balloon men I've seen in other games. Well done.

I dont want to praise myself. No thats a lie, yes i do:

Amerikaner said:
As for your last idea i was thinking the same thing. This has never been done before in a game afaik and i would love to see it in RO. Having something like artillery blowing a soldier back and having them go into karma physics, hit the ground, then be able to get up but w/ a severe case of motion blur that would last a set time. Same thing w/ tripping. Soldier falls, briefly goes into karma, then recovers and gets up but w/o motion blur or maybe a real small bit. Why does karma only have to be used for death? I havent done much animating work but Im pretty sure this would be really difficult but its an idea to think over.

From this thread: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775

Upvote 0
Any word if the PT-4-7 panoramic sight panoramic sight will be available to the gunner? It would give better situational awareness to the gunner.

I haven't gotten a reply on what each scale means.

But my best guess is MG on the far right, far left is Shrapnel (Sh-354, Sh-354T, Sh-354G, Sh-361 ?) based on trying to match the cyrilic, and the middle is the Armor Piercing (BR-350A, BR-350B, BR-350P) based on matching cyrillic again*

* compared the russain http://battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=50&lang=ru to the enlish http://battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=50&lang=en in the round section. The one on the left has the "W" (matching the shrapnel rounds) and the on on the right has the "b" (matching the AP rounds)

BTW: Can someone identify for me what on the MG corresponds to what on this diagram (from Battlfield.ru)?
t34_52.gif

DTsight.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this the effect of the gun recoiling? I would think it would have slid back, not down... but I don't know how the recoil mechanism works.

recoil.jpg

On the topic of recoil, I read that PTRD has the sights offset because the assembly recoils. Is this modelled? I hadn't noticed it in the mod.

I'm still curious about the numbers on the top. I read on Russian Battlefield that there's a hand crank for "lateral traversing" (thanks Babelfish). I assume those numbers are for the lateral traversing.... so is that just to correct for parallax error when aiming, or is it to account for windage? Or is it just for minor adjustments instead of traversing the entire turret?

Upvote 0
All I can say is WOW. You guys have shown a treat and you deserve great success with this if these shots are the overall level of quality RO Ost Front will exhibit.

Now on the recoil of the tank, I would assume any verticle movement would be resultant of the chasis of the vehicle absorbing the forces through suspension.

All I can say, looking good and I hope you guys stay the path after the release and don't Suffer Maddox Games fate with the Il2 series (never ending change of physics models for vehicles).

When it appears on steam, I'll be there. I hope Steams servers can cope with all of us loyal fans :D

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Is this the effect of the gun recoiling? I would think it would have slid back, not down... but I don't know how the recoil mechanism works.

On the topic of recoil, I read that PTRD has the sights offset because the assembly recoils. Is this modelled? I hadn't noticed it in the mod.

I'm still curious about the numbers on the top. I read on Russian Battlefield that there's a hand crank for "lateral traversing" (thanks Babelfish). I assume those numbers are for the lateral traversing.... so is that just to correct for parallax error when aiming, or is it to account for windage? Or is it just for minor adjustments instead of traversing the entire turret?
You are basically seeing the effect in a static picture of the gun recoiling and the tank shuddering...

Yes, the PTRD sights are offset - always were!

As for the "lateral traversing" scale across the top: also call "deflection". No, it wasn't used to compensate for the fact that the gunsight is physically a foot to the left of the gun barrel. When shooting at a target moving across your view, you could also set the gun sight to compensate for this, shifting the aim point left or right. Most gunners never bothered - just aimed off by a guesstimate amount. Face facts - if you've got a Panther moving across your view, exposing his flank, you aren't going to arse about guessing his speed, mentally calculating the offset, dialling it in, re-aim, then fire - you just lead the bastard half a length and let him have it NOW!!

Upvote 0