• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flight Simulator X

Just got Flight Simulator X yesterday. Anyone else give it a go?

My thoughts so far:
  • I've been reasonably impressed with the graphics and the interface improvements. The FPS is definitely lower than FS2004, but the scenery is much nicer. I've got a 256MB 6800GS so it's not the world's fastest card, but it does alright.
  • I love the G1000 cockpits. That's the future of flight right there. I'll miss the ol' steam gauges, but I'm getting checked out in a real G1000-equipped Cessna so it'll be good practice for some of the more common functions.
  • The missions are actually pretty cool. It's good to go flying with a purpose and a sense of urgency. I haven't had time to fly them all, but the few I've flown were pretty good.
  • It interfaced perfectly with my CH yoke and pedals.
  • I tried out the online multiplayer feature. I'm really looking forward to doing the Tower Control and work on my ATC phraseology (if it's not obvious from my sig and avatar, I'm training to be a controller). It's pretty simple to get online:
    • You login with a Gamespy ID and see all the servers. Each one has the name of the base airport as well as the number of slots available (default is 8 but I saw many with 28+)
    • You choose your role: Pilot or controller.
    • I haven't tried pilot yet, but if you choose controller, you can choose from any airport near the main one. For instance, if the server's central airport is Miami, you can choose Ft. Lauderdale, Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport, Opa Locka Airport, etc.
    • In the tower cab, you have a full set of controls for the radar and views. I don't have Track IR, but it would be nice if you could freely look around and move about the cab. At the moment, I could only change views by using a "change positions" button that takes you to different posts in the cab - and therefore different views out the windows.
So far it's cool. I can't wait to get some free time and play with it some more.

Just got Flight Simulator X yesterday. Anyone else give it a go?

My thoughts so far:
  • I've been reasonably impressed with the graphics and the interface improvements. The FPS is definitely lower than FS2004, but the scenery is much nicer. I've got a 256MB 6800GS so it's not the world's fastest card, but it does alright.
  • I love the G1000 cockpits. That's the future of flight right there. I'll miss the ol' steam gauges, but I'm getting checked out in a real G1000-equipped Cessna so it'll be good practice for some of the more common functions.
  • The missions are actually pretty cool. It's good to go flying with a purpose and a sense of urgency. I haven't had time to fly them all, but the few I've flown were pretty good.
  • It interfaced perfectly with my CH yoke and pedals.
  • I tried out the online multiplayer feature. I'm really looking forward to doing the Tower Control and work on my ATC phraseology (if it's not obvious from my sig and avatar, I'm training to be a controller). It's pretty simple to get online:
    • You login with a Gamespy ID and see all the servers. Each one has the name of the base airport as well as the number of slots available (default is 8 but I saw many with 28+)
    • You choose your role: Pilot or controller.
    • I haven't tried pilot yet, but if you choose controller, you can choose from any airport near the main one. For instance, if the server's central airport is Miami, you can choose Ft. Lauderdale, Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport, Opa Locka Airport, etc.
    • In the tower cab, you have a full set of controls for the radar and views. I don't have Track IR, but it would be nice if you could freely look around and move about the cab. At the moment, I could only change views by using a "change positions" button that takes you to different posts in the cab - and therefore different views out the windows.
So far it's cool. I can't wait to get some free time and play with it some more.
Do you ever try and screw with the guys as airtraffic controller and like get them to land at the same time and directly into each other.:D I am amazed that the multiplayer could actually work I would think that people would just fly around and cause trouble ie. crashing into other planes, ramming the control tower, crashing on the runway so that others can not land because of the wreckage on the runway.

I'm sorry but I am going to buy the game just to do that once or twice.

Upvote 0
I had problems with the demo running really choppy, ****ty graphics, etc...
i'm running a pretty standard AMD dual core 4400+ with my nVidia geForce 7600gs, 512 mb RAM

any suggestions?

I'd like to be able to enjoy the demo some b4 purchasing... of course, also gotta hook up my friggin joystick, as they keys don't work all too well.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
WP, all (4) of the different ATC I've met has been either

A) Bald
B) Extremely irritable
C) Wanting to kill themselves
D) All of the above.

It's an extremely stressful job, despite being one of the best paying jobs (Its in the top 20 or something of highest paying jobs)

I fly gliders so I don't ever deal with ATC thankful

"Golf Golf Sierra Zulu Delta climb to 8000 ft and watch for traffic"

Guleph tower I'm at 700ft right now, It might take me awhile to find some lift...

Upvote 0