• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Fleshpounds! Don't shoot em on sight

After getting wiped by Fleshpounds two times in a row with public players i got a little pissed and decided to give some advise what to do and what not to do.

First of all, this dude is not a tank. Don't shoot all you got on him once he is in sight, just please don't!
Maybe... maybe you noticed the yellow/red bar in his chest, that shows if he is in rage or not. As long as he is yellow, everything is fine. He will be like a cute kitty and u can easily run him out even if you carry a lot. So, did i mention not to shoot him on sight?

Fleshpounds are the toughest enemies except the Patriach, but the people who should read this probably didnt see him on normal/long yet.

-First thing you have to do is to decide which tactic you want to use for him. Depending on that you should have Fleshpound Setups ready on wave 6+.
-You can either just go 2 or 3 support with hunting shotgun or one hunting shotgun and a flamer. IF someone is good with LAW, do LAW + Hunting Shotgun.
-When u spot a Fleshpound DO NOT SHOOT, notify your team where he is and quickly decide what to do:
-> If he is one of the last enemys in the wave or you have lots of space to run around without beeing surrounded do tactic 1.
-> If its a tight space or there are lots of other enemys around and you cant leave where you barricaded do tactic 2.

tactic 1:
This works really good on open maps like westlondon or farm or just when you killed almost all other enemys. Don't all shoot him at once, speak with each other and let one guy fire single shots and run. If you do 2 headshots with winchester, switch to knife and run a bit, 2 headshots again he won't go into rage! This gives him a behaviour like mentioned above. Works fine when one guy focusing with that tactic on the FP and the others shoot a way free for them to move.

tactic 2:
Kinda like all or nothing. If you dont have enough space to lure or need to get rid of him fast, tell your team to just hold fire and then give him the most concentraded blow u got. This means 2xdouble barrel headshot point blank or 1xshotgun and 1xrocket. That way he dies right when he goes into rage. Another way is to have a flamer guy incinerate him from most possible long range and then while the FP is charging at him do the "doublebarrel to the head"-thing.

As for now, i keep playing with friends only or solo till people found out how he works. Hope a few people read this.

Solo or friends? so when ur friends aren't around thats it? how picky, I better not see u in my server. pfft, KICKED.

Upvote 0
first of all, you should tell everyone what you mean with "tank" :) I'm sure not every Killing Floor - Gamer played Left 4 Dead!

Tanking has nothing to do with Left 4 Dead (Other than the Tank being able to take alot of hits >.>)

If someone tanks something, they take the damage and keep the enemies attention focused on them, so teamates can kill it without worrying about being pounded ;)

Upvote 0
What I've found that works quite well (at least in my normal/hard games with a group of 3 or 4 people total) is to turn the bastards into giblets. It would seem that all thrown grenades will explode when the first one thrown explodes. So, what we've started doing is having 2 people throw 3 grenades each (or 3 people throw 2 grenades each) and the last person (who didn't throw any) shoots him to make him stop moving while he starts his rage. Then, all of the grenades go at once and he's turned in to a fine red mist. We're not sure if 3 or 4 grenades are enough, so we use 6 just to make sure. And then we usually have enough to take down a second one.

That's similar to what we do usually. Although we went overboard once when two fleshpounds walked around a corner in the office :p 10 grenades at their feet... couple must've missed cause one was still alive hehe Aahhh fun times.

Upvote 0
Well, i started this thread a few days after release. As it is right now, there isnt really much strategy needed anymore. With most people playing support and being lvl 3-5 all fps go down in a few seconds. Just throw 3 grenades at his feet and shoot him with hunting shotgun when u are alone or 1-2 nades everyone when u got more ppl.
Didnt see anyone kiting him these days. Usually someone anounces him like "fp coming from the left", people take a bored look and keep doing other stuff till he is close enough. Then nades -> shotgun -> win.

Upvote 0
Wow, such a great guide, might have to give it a go one of these times.
I'm still sold on my method of installing 6 Combat shotgun shells into him, it usually helps fold him in half pretty quick.

Solo or friends? so when ur friends aren't around thats it? how picky, I better not see u in my server. pfft, KICKED.

What server is that? The one where the Glitches aren't aloowed? From the looks of things, you'll let him have some fun first though right? Oh, and did you find some admins that can help you spell?

Reactor East | Normal 2.0, IP:66.55.137.27:7707, is a "No F****** Glitches Aloowed" server. Im looking for some good players to give admin privs to help me monitor glitching and keep a high standard of play on the server. We kick glitchers and assholes ALL the time. Except, I wait until they get into the game, and are enjoying it, then kick them. It makes them hurt all the more.

gigs

Upvote 0
tactic 3: Decapitate FP with ONE 9mm bullet or ONE knife hit (or handcannon)

This is kinda risky and it needs practise, some ppl needs only a little practise, while others needs more. I prefer doing this only on normal difficulty, experienced 1-shot-decapitaters can do it on hard and suicidal also. But if u fail u surely get pounded the hell out, literally.

So, how it works?
Get a weapon (9mm, knife and HC works best on my experience), Kill other specimens around FP, then go AS CLOSE AS you can ever go in front of FP, now wait till it makes an attack where he "bows" and the head comes closer to you, now timing is essential! When the FP's head is closest to u, just before he smacks you, shoot 1 round with 9mm or hit once with knife and the head will pop off and the attack will be cancelled. (if u shoot at wrong time, it will not die and will hit u hard after the "bow", depending in what difficulty ur doing it)

IMO it works best with knife, idk why but i can pop the head off everytime i use the knife. My m8 says 9mm works better for him, but it's up to you!
Enjoy!

Upvote 0
tactic 3: Decapitate FP with ONE 9mm bullet or ONE knife hit (or handcannon)

This is kinda risky and it needs practise, some ppl needs only a little practise, while others needs more. I prefer doing this only on normal difficulty, experienced 1-shot-decapitaters can do it on hard and suicidal also. But if u fail u surely get pounded the hell out, literally.

So, how it works?
Get a weapon (9mm, knife and HC works best on my experience), Kill other specimens around FP, then go AS CLOSE AS you can ever go in front of FP, now wait till it makes an attack where he "bows" and the head comes closer to you, now timing is essential! When the FP's head is closest to u, just before he smacks you, shoot 1 round with 9mm or hit once with knife and the head will pop off and the attack will be cancelled. (if u shoot at wrong time, it will not die and will hit u hard after the "bow", depending in what difficulty ur doing it)

IMO it works best with knife, idk why but i can pop the head off everytime i use the knife. My m8 says 9mm works better for him, but it's up to you!
Enjoy!

Take note that this is likely a glitch and will probably be fixed soon...so considering it as a true tactic might be a bit preemature...

Upvote 0
Take note that this is likely a glitch and will probably be fixed soon...so considering it as a true tactic might be a bit preemature...

I personally hope that it's a bug. Though i still think FP's was meant to have a weakness, and if u do it right u can insta kill em EVERYTIME, i haven't failed in weeks.

But still. If this is a "bug" and will be fixed, the game will be intense again, to face FP which was meant to be the hardest enemy beside Patriarch.

Upvote 0
Ehh...

Why would it be a glitch if Tripwire actually went great length to actually coded him to have a be weak to decapitate, but only while doing his melee swings....?

It is still a risky thing to do. That is why I, on most maps, still find it more safe to just land 2-3 XBow arrows in his head - from a really long range.

Upvote 0
Doesn't work on office or biolab though
True, thats why i had that "on most maps" disclaimer :)

Well, it actually work there too at some of the longer corridors or if you kite around the cars outside, but you have to hit 'n then solo run with your handcannon up to clear the way infront of you from clots. Enrage them on office or biolab is risky!

Could just ignore them. Move through the wave and take them out last.

...or go melee style for a shot at him decapitation-style :)

Upvote 0
Ehh...

Why would it be a glitch if Tripwire actually went great length to actually coded him to have a be weak to decapitate, but only while doing his melee swings....?

It is still a risky thing to do. That is why I, on most maps, still find it more safe to just land 2-3 XBow arrows in his head - from a really long range.

It's not actually risky if u can do it. I haven't failed doin it in weeks. Took only 1 day to practise and never failed since. only situation i might fail is sudden lag spike.

So yeah, it should be fixed or something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not actually risky if u can do it. I haven't failed doin it in weeks. Took only 1 day to practise and never failed since. only situation i might fail is sudden lag spike.

So yeah, it should be fixed or something.

It's WAY too easy. Even if you fail, if you're using the knife or 9mm, it won't be enough to rage him...

The Fleshpound having a 'Weakness' is one thing, but having a lame 1-hit kill method for the most powerful enemy in the game is not only stupid, it's unbalancing and game-breaking.

It's bad enough that Skrakes are about pointless...now Fleshpounds too? It'll turn this game into a camp-fest if something isn't done soon...

Upvote 0
Huh, i can't believe people are using their heads soo much, it's silly.

Right, fleshpounders are easy... i've just come off a server on suicidal and they're still not too easy.

Firstly, it's a bit obvious, DONT GET IN A CLOSED SPACE, if your already in it and they come, you may aswell just press "\" 3 times or just disconnect, your a fool if you get yourself in a closed space after wave 7*, i notice someone said wave 6, flesh pounders NEVER come before wave 7, scrakes start wave 6 90% of the time, but it's not unheard of for them to spawn on wave 5.

Anyway, open space = simple, if your on your own or your playing with other players, it doesnt matter, 9 times out of 10 your going to be playing public with clueless noobs who weld themselves into rooms because they think their clever and that their going to bottleneck their enemies, but actually as soon as scrakes / fleshpounds are involved, despite your skill, their health takes long to kill and you'll find yourself quickly overwhelmed.

Anyway, doesn't matter how many of there are, and also, don't avoid raging him... just be tactical how you rage him, i GENERALLY go right up to him whilst he is not raged and double barrel hunting shotgun headshot him, then he roars and rages, meanwhile you should have your knife out and running away (LOOK WHERE YOUR RUNNING TO OTHERWISE U'LL RUN INTO A PATHETIC CLOT GET STUCK AND THEN THE FP WILL EAT YOUR FACE), for you clever nutjobs that are about to respond 'haha, i'm beserker and clots can't grab me -- well how about a big ring of enemies that u physically cant "noblock" through? Anyway, u only run a little bit because even with knife he'll catch you up (although if you only take 1 melee hit and you are running with knife, he'll probably go back to being a cute little muffin with a nice yellow bar across his scarred chest) - so anyway, 1 to 2 more double barrel hunting shotgun headshots should kill him easy (no matter what mode / amount of players on).

On normal, solo you can take him out with just 1 hunting barrel headshot if your literally touching him, but anyway, yea their easy :).

Just thought i'd add this in, on offices, everyone seems to be really bad, after wave 6, you should be absolutely NOWHERE other than outside the front, not in the building, not on the roof, outside is dead easy on offices, as their is a lot of space (and the car that you don't think you can get on, you can if you try hard enough).

I'm done :).

Upvote 0
I died several times going up to a FP to decapitate him. From team mates that enrage him before i get the chance to knife him :D

I also seem to fail to connect when he does another emote, need to adjust my timing i guess.

Once you get the timing right, barring teammate interference, it's probably around a 90% chance that he'll do the proper attack and you'll OHKO him, sadly. Even if he does the wrong attack animation or somehow your timing is off, you can usually sidestep or run away in time to avoid the painful hit, especially if you have your knife out. And even if you DO get hit, it's not fatal.

It's getting bad, too...everyone seems to be catching on to this...

Upvote 0