• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fleshpound "Weakspot"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is still risky to do. An enraged decapitated flehspounder can still kill, or seriously hurt, you during his 5 seconds of headless berserking. Atleast on hard/suicidal.

Yeah. If he's got friends your mates need to keep them off your back. Otherwise they'll pin you down and either they or the headless FP will kill you before you can retreat.

Hell, even on Normal if you don't get away fast enough or your mates don't finish him off, the headless FP can and will kill you dead.

Everyone knows you shoot a bloat in the mouth with a LAR or two and it goes poof, scrakes can be chain stunned with powerful enough weapons (if you think it's a glitch, look at how gorefeasts and clots react to an axe or machete power hit they survive, they get stunned (and those would be their weaknesses if you even bother to need em).

And hell, most of that (save the Scrake stun) happens with the bullpup too. I've stunned Gorefasts with headshots that turned into bodyshots, and I regularly pop bloat's heads with a three round burst to neutralize their vomit as quickly as possible.

Upvote 0
i vote: NOT a bug/exploit.

in RO, i shoot you in the face with a rifle and you die instantly. if humans have a weak spot, even crazy humanlike specimans can have a weakspot.

is that why these specimens can take 2 shotgun blasts to the chest and still live?

so if the devs arbitrarily made their heads just as resilient as the rest of their body, you'd probably argue that they're superhumans.

the head shot thing is strange though. does it only occur close up? i have tried countless times to melee or shotgun their heads off, but it always takes 2 to 3 hits...for melee maybe 4. do you wait till they tilt their heads downwards towards you?

Upvote 0
I always took it as a bug, and I still refuse to believe it's a purposive feature.

Last time I saw a thread about the FP-one-hit-decapitation subject, I think a moderator deleted all the posted replies, especially the ones that explained how the one-hit decapitation works. The thread got locked with the notification that the issue "was being looked into". That's what made me think it as a exploit even more.

Upvote 0
I always took it as a bug, and I still refuse to believe it's a purposive feature.

Last time I saw a thread about the FP-one-hit-decapitation subject, I think a moderator deleted all the posted replies, especially the ones that explained how the one-hit decapitation works. The thread got locked with the notification that the issue "was being looked into". That's what made me think it as a exploit even more.

That was the thread that I made asking for proof that it could be done. It got deleted because it was basically a duplicate topic to a multi page topic that already existed.

I still stand by my reasoning that even with the decapitations, suicidal and hard mode players still die very frequently to fleshpounds now that they have random enrage. Instant decapitation or not.

Upvote 0
That was the thread that I made asking for proof that it could be done. It got deleted because it was basically a duplicate topic to a multi page topic that already existed.

I still stand by my reasoning that even with the decapitations, suicidal and hard mode players still die very frequently to fleshpounds now that they have random enrage. Instant decapitation or not.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Based on the 15 minutes of "research" I did in-game just a moment ago, I think the main "issue" there seems to be on this subject is the following, presuming it's NOT a bug;
FP's seem to have three different variations of his attack animations (at least when he's calm), and one of them is overly easy for the instant decapitation. I think the decapitation seems to work on the other two animations too, but they're much harder for the decapitation since the FP's hands get in front of his head easily, preventing the player to hit his head. Or something like that.

All I would like to have is a clear, official statement for a TW guy, what this FP-thing is about. Obviously it's something that begs for an explanation since so many people are talking about it with different arguments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Best tactic is to shoot him dead (that, and use the fact flehspounders go for the same target as long as he have a line of sight - so everyone can (should) use their own bodies as meat shields and try to block the flehspounder from reaching its target).

You do NOT want to get in the way of an enraged fleshpound, in case you haven't noticed they can now attack while moving. If he decides to use his "spinning arm-spikes of death" attack whilst running, which I have seen it do against it's fellow specimens when it charges at you, this will turn the team into mincemeat in seconds. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I never see people pull this off against Skrakes. Maybe it can be done...or maybe it's not worth the effort because Skrakes can be taken down the normal way without much of a problem...

But if it's something you can't reliably do to skrakes...then I'd consider it a bug. If every specimen has a sweet spot, then every one has a sweet spot. If the FP is the only one with a sweet spot that seems to matter....then I think it should be looked at.

Either way, TWI knows about it. I do sort of wonder why they haven't commented officially on it.

Upvote 0
Please point out this code as I'm sure many here would like to see it.
I write programs for a living.

It would be so much easier to just have the fleshpound always immune to decapitations.

There is no way a fleshpound would be always immune to decapitation EXCEPT during a short window when his head is exposed while he is performing his attack animation - and someone is up there attacking at the exact correct time to take advantage of it UNLESS someone went great lenght to put in that code.

Someone put in that code on purpose. To give flehspounders a weakness.

This give berserkers (chainsaw have a fast rate of fire which make it easier to decapitate) and commando (bullpup have a fast rate of fire which make it easier to decapitate) a reliable way to deal with flehspounds as both of them have too little ranged damage per second to kill them before they get close.

Fleshpounds take half damage from anything else but explosives, this make nades and LAW twice as efficient against fleshpounds - this programmed "weakness" give give support spec a way to kill them before they get close.

A sharpshooter can kill it using 2 xbow arrows to the head (easy to nail one while he is far away to enrage it and one right after he stand up during his enrage animation) and 1-2 deagle shots (in a 6ppl hard game). On maps with some visability (such as london, farm or mansion) - I do that all the time (killing all sirens, fleshpounds and scrakes before they reach our camp - while the team clear out all little zeds before they get close to me so i can focus on my sniping).

A FP that auto-enrage will stay enraged until he reach his target and hit it once. After that he will leave his enraged state and only enrage if you damage it too fast or if he auto-enrage again. This give medics a way to kite him. Once he auto-enrage, run from him while you unload as much as you can into him. Once he reach you, stop shooting, bring up your knife, let him hit you once - outrun him. Heal up, let him auto-enrage again.

He used to not enrage by little damage, which was the flamebug weakness. Flamebug set him on fire and kite around while setting other stuff on fire. FP die from burnouts. This weakness have been removed though, because it was used by all other perks too efficiently as it promoted solo kiting on some maps (such as farm). Since the change kf became a bit more of a co-op type of game again. But now flamebugs really have no efficient way to deal with fleshpounders anymore....

The Big man got weaknesses. Learn to master your perks and you will find out ways to deal with him. Use your perk to the best of your advantage.

Decapitate at melee range, atleast if the FP is enraged, is still really dangerous. Atleast on hard/suicidal. A decapitated and enraged fp will still often hurt or possible even kill you. You might also miss the sweet spot (i find it hard to always land my shot while we are on uneven ground, such in a slope or a staircase) or the window of oppertunity (if you dont have a bullpup or chainsaw you have to time that single attack at the exact correct second). As i described, most perks have ways to deal with him. Up close melee decapitation-style if you are any other perk then commando or berserker should probably only be a last ditch resort.

Once again, this is not a bug. It is a build in feature of the game that you can use.

Shrug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But if it's something you can't reliably do to skrakes...then I'd consider it a bug.
Scrakes just have massive amount of HP. He only enrage when he get low on HP. Best way to deal with this zed is just to make sure your "high damage per second weapon" is loaded and use it until he dies once he enrage.

Although you can not decapitate a scrake so that he bleed out - this zed also have build in weaknesses.

As a sharpshooter i bring him down using one or two headshots with the crossbow. A berserker can stun him in melee range using his chainsaw. A flamer can set him on fire and kite him around while he burn down from the DoT without even going into a rage. A support spec shoot him until he enrage, then switch to hunter shotgun and kill it with both barrels right before being hit....

Commandos do have a hard time dealing with scrakes (probably have to spend a full clip once it enrage), but that will be adressed once they get a AK47 (in the next patch) - until then you just ignore scrakes as commando and focus on killing zeds around the scrake so your berserker can go in and stun it or zeds around the sharpshooter so he can snipe it without crawlers and stalkers attacking him.

Learn to play?

Either way, TWI knows about it. I do sort of wonder why they haven't commented officially on it.
Of course they know of it. They coded it. Why should they comment on something that work as intended? I don't get it....

Upvote 0
Sorry if the tone in my post was a bit hash :)

Dispite using the different weaknesses, hard is still hard - many hard games wipe long before the patriarch and suicidal is still suicidal - i bet the % of games that actually survive up-to and including the patriarch is really really low.

This one weakness does not turn suicidal into a walk in the park by any means (If you feel that, then the hat off for you - You and your party are a better at this game than me and my random pickup members :)).

Upvote 0
Triple Post!!! C-C-C-Combo breaker!
obama-combo-breaker.jpg

You do make a good point. Hard is hard, and Suicidal is Suicidal.
If anyone played Left 4 Dead, the witch had a weak spot too that took the perfect timing to crown her. Same goes for the Fleshpound in Killing Floor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.