• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fleshpound mechanic.

I mean... Each and every game is bound to feel easy at some point, once you master every technique, every trick, every little thing the game throws at you. That's the main goal behind very difficult games like Sekiro and all Souls-like games : the more casual gamers are always screaming about how bloody difficult they are...But that's the point. Once you learned the patterns, the good items, the "game dance", even a Souls-game become almost easy... almost !

I believe the only games that stay consistently difficult are roguelikes, and any games with a whole lot of RNG. I've been playing Binding of Isaac Repentance lately and although I had 400 hours prior to that : it's making me spit my blood by how difficult it is. Not only thanks to the new content that I never encountered before, but also because... It often has a good deal of luck. Pure luck. A newcomer can do quite well with great items. Meanwhile, a veteran can struggle a lot if he keeps getting **** items.

"What's your point?" you may ask. Well... That after 5+ years of playing KF2, it's only natural that even the toughest enemies aren't fearful anymore. You know that a couple grenades, a well-landed rocket, a trusty headshot from a railgun or some zany AA-12 blasts are enough to take him down. Even if it's NEVER a good idea to be on the other side of his spiked arms, you learned how to deal with them. It's only natural.

So what can you do? You can go the easy and lazy road and simply make him even more of a bullet sponge. But that's not very fun... I can't recall of any bullet sponge monster or boss that has ever been fun to deal with. Increase the amount of FP that spawns? Again, it's equally cheap. Not being able to deal with all of them because you had to reload and got boxed is not challenging: it's frustrating.

Instead, what should be done (although so late into the game life-cycle, I doubt it will happen) is either : give the Fleshpound new abilities that would surprise players once more, allowing them to readapt...or die. Or, on the other hand, create a new big zeds that is even more of a threat... Mind you, even though KF2 added quite a few opponents, the big bads have stayed the same since KF1. I guess it's not as easy as to create new "medium" zeds (and arguably : the Quaterpounders are medium-big themselves), but it would be neat to have a new zed that make you go "oh ****" when they spawn.

PS : Let's also keep in mind that sadly, Tripwire added just a bazillion weapons to every perk, allowing them all to deal with Fleshpounds easily... I thought it was better when the role of the "nuker" was split between the Demo and Sharp only (with maybe the Support as a polyvalent "all-rounder"). Now, every perk can blast away a Fleshpound with ease.

Upvote 0