• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Flamethrower suggestion

ArchoN2010

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Right now I feel that the flamethrower is quite overpowered, I know people might feel that this is a "wow l2p" thread (I understand, I don't post here regularly) but I can assure you I am an experienced gamer and red orchestra player, having played since 41-45 and enjoying the experience to this day, I regularly play on the 40-1 RO2 server so perhaps anyone who is also a regular there may recognise me :p

The reason I prefer RO2 over RS is a combination of two things; the existing maps (but this is just my opinion), and the current state of the flamethrower (and to some extent the knee mortar, but I do not think it is bad in the same manner as the flamethrower)

So what is wrong with the flamethrower? My problem is that currently you can be instantly killed even if the flame barely touches you. Now I do not agree with the fact a small amount of flame touching you should completely light you a flame, but I will accept, for gameplay reasons that fire touching you should cause damage.

I feel however this is way overstated in RS, the flame simply grazing you will will kill you instantly, it feels unfair and wrong, it can catch you even when you're way out of its rage, and in such a manner that it can still kill you even after you take certain manoeuvres to purposely avoid its flame.

Reducing the ammo of the flamethrower, the movement speed of the flamethrower or the number of flamethrowers, they just seem to me like cheap ways to cover up a bigger problem. Yeah okay, I admit the flamethrower probably doesn't impact the outcome of games (i.e skilled Japanese teams will still win even with the flamethrower present) but it still doesn't feel right to have this mechanic in place that so harshly punishes players with instant death even after they take measures to explicitly avoid it.

My suggestion is to slightly alter the flamethrower, players caught directly in it's blast should be iginited and killed instantly; just as it is now, however players caught on the edge of flames should be wounded with fire but have an option to "drop and roll" on the ground, activated by pressing e, similar to the bandage function. The player would instantly prone to the ground and be unable to move for a few seconds while a small animation of him rolling on the ground is played (this is just a first thought).

This gives players a bit of time to recover and doesn't harshly punish players, but still incapacitates them for a few seconds, American players could take advantage of this.

Thanks for reading, didn't think it would be this long :eek:

Last edited:
That amount of flame also wouldn't ignite your whole body and kill you in a near instant, the amount of harm a bullet would cause to someone's arm or leg (nevermind their torso or head) would also cause enough damage to incapacitate a person, but instead you're allowed to bandage up and fight on unhindered.

It's compromises of realism for the sake of gameplay and it's what makes the game enjoyable whilst still feeling immersive, I feel that the flamethrower could benefit from something similar.

Upvote 0
That amount of flame also wouldn't ignite your whole body and kill you in a near instant, the amount of harm a bullet would cause to someone's arm or leg (nevermind their torso or head) would also cause enough damage to incapacitate a person, but instead you're allowed to bandage up and fight on unhindered.

But we do know that bullets don't always incapacitate people, there are countless instances of people getting shot and continuing to fight. Getting a considerable portion of burning napalm on you wouldn't kill you instantly, but it would make it extremely difficult to continue fighting.

Upvote 0
You could always shoot him before he gets close.

list of problems on that statement:
1. An Olympic sprinter with a napalm super soaker is running towards you
2. he's also Barry Sanders and can juke like its a 14 year old playing Madden
3. you have a bolt action and you only get one shot, you're eminem.
4. he can hipfire the thing and kill you better than a ganster in a 1920's flick
5. his flame magically block your bullets. flamer is also be a fire mage
6. if you're indoors the flame bounces and kills you, he's wearing invisible firefighter gear
7. did i mention i've been killed by a flamer at <1 M and he still takes no damage?
8. if all this dosen't work he dies but then respawns on SL

Upvote 0
There is definitely something wrong the flame thrower. I've played today with it a little bit and you're literally invincible when it comes to close range, you're not burning/catching any of those flames even if you're standing right next to a wall and blazing at it. The range on that thing is somewhat decent but it could be reduced just a little bit. Reducing or removing the ability to make the flames bounce off walls, at least make the fire bounce off of concrete/bricks and material of that nature only.

Upvote 0
we all have to remember: the knee mortar was nerfed in beta...flamer buffed.

the fire retardant nature of the flamer class has always something that baffled me since day one of Rising Storm.

You do. I don't have a video of it yet but you do. Give me some time to get footage of it and I'll show you.

I can agree to this

also, i've been killed at <1M from a flamer. he walked away just fine

Last edited:
Upvote 0