• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix the ping

CrazyFingers

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2011
Canada
Seriously, it's been a month since the release and pings are still not fixed. I don't know if it's the servers or the game.

Lets take 7cav as an example... in the server browser it say 37 ping but in game everyone ping fluctuate between 100 and 300+ which makes this game almost unplayable(even if I played 100h+). It's what gonna stop me coming back.

I would re install beta but I got a limited internet connection. So anyone who play the beta can you tell me if it has been fixed in the upcoming patch?

Reactions: Vegard
Seriously, it's been a month since the release and pings are still not fixed. I don't know if it's the servers or the game.

Lets take 7cav as an example... in the server browser it say 37 ping but in game everyone ping fluctuate between 100 and 300+ which makes this game almost unplayable(even if I played 100h+). It's what gonna stop me coming back.

I would re install beta but I got a limited internet connection. So anyone who play the beta can you tell me if it has been fixed in the upcoming patch?

They know men,they are working on it trust me.

Upvote 0
My guess would be that the pings for the server browser are calculated differently than those ingame.

If memory serves (and I'm didn't just dream it), the ping that ingame RO uses is not just the 'ping bounce' from server to computer, but the actual latency between the packet sent by your computer to the server and when it is used by the server.

This would be opposed to the server browser which probably just records the ping response between your comp and the server.

Two different values for two different measurements. One is basically showing you the time it takes to 'hop' to the server. The other is taking that value and adding the actual 'netcode stack' to it.

One thing that does is provide everyone with an idea of how loaded the cpu is for the particular server they are playing on. For instance, I have a typical ping of 44 to my server. When the server is empty, both server browser and ingame ping are virtually the same. Its not until the server starts really loading up (from players and certain maps) that my ping (and everyone elses) starts to rise.

Its late, I'm not a netcode guru, and I don't know the correct terminology so don't lambast me for that.......

Upvote 0
Do we know what causes the ping thing?

It's server cpu load.
Go onto a 64 player server that's empty, check your ping. It'll be the same as it was on the server list. Once the player count gets to around 30-40(depending on how powerful the server is) it'll start lagging and when it reaches 64 it might be able to manage 100 ping constantly but a lot of them will have terrible ping spikes

Upvote 0