• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for "Querying Master Server"

yeah didnt think this would get an immediate response. anyways i can only log into an online server about 2% of the time. this querying master server error or whatever seems to unidentify servers. not only that but IF i ever do get the servers to load, only a fraction of them show up. ive followed the steps on here. i guess it only lets me in servers when it feels like it. again if anyone has a cure for this please pm me or leave a post. thanks :confused:

Upvote 0
It looks like Steam is having issues.

You may be able to find servers by using the Steam server browser instead of the in-game one - to do this right-click on the Steam tray icon and click Servers, and in the Servers tab make sure that you filter by Killing Floor and click Refresh.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone

Yea pretty much the same as everybody else, I have tried:

* Replacing masterserver's file (FAILED)
* Purging and reinstalling the game (FAILED)
* Disabling Windows firewall (FAILED)
* Opening some ports in my router (FAILED)
* Changing killingfloor.ini to recognize I'm behind NAT (FAILED)
* Deleting killingfloor.ini (FAILED)
* Deleting ClientRegistry.blob file in Steam's main folder (FAILED)
* Checking for Steam Client updates (updated, FAILED)
* Recopied the, masterservers.vdf , into the config folder (FAILED)
* Deleting and Re-downloading steam (FAILED)

I am playing on a Windows 7 operating system and this is my first go around with any Steam downloaded game. I can play the solo mode just fine, it's just that it wont connect to the master server and, obviously, I can't host games either. I think I'm getting the news feed though. Here's what it looks like as well as the actual Querying Master Server screen in multiplayer:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Marlis...id=8CeMC3O8b1YjbKdAyqoOLg#5631944844945035378[url]https://picasaweb.google.com/Marlise17810/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCLOL-6q8iZaahQE&pli=1&gsessionid=8CeMC3O8b1YjbKdAyqoOLg#5631944844945035378[/URL]

The ports I entered are as follows:
7707 UDP/IP (Game Port)
7708 UDP/IP (Query Port)
7717 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
28852 TCP/IP and UDP (Allows your Server to Connect to the Master Server Browser)
8075 TCP/IP (Port set via ListenPort that your WebAdmin will run on)
20560 UDP/IP (Steam Port)

I read this article and everything seems to be in order -
http://www.kf-wiki.com/wiki/How-to_Create_a_Dedicated_Server[url]http://www.kf-wiki.com/wiki/How-to_Create_a_Dedicated_Server[/URL]

so yea, what do?

Just got the game, love the presentation and the game, I just WISH I can have a more reliable way of getting into online games. Here's what's going on, obviously my problem is the game querying the master server and just staying there. I see no lists or anything. I remember reading a post that recommends turning on a dhao filter or something like that by right clicking the area where the servers names would be but I see no such option.

However the catch is, I can actually play online games by either going into the console mode and typing in "open (ip address)" or looking into the steam server lists and joining a game. While searching for a game I can only find games on the US East coast as having the filter set for other regions yields no results. I haven't attempted to host a game yet. It should be noted that I get no such problems finding servers in Team Fortress 2.

Please I need help I've tried almost every suggestion possible and even had a tech savey friend try to help with this issue but to no avail. Here's a list of things I've tried.

* Purging and reinstalling the game (FAILED)
* Disabling Windows firewall (FAILED)
* Opening some ports in my router (FAILED)
* Changing killingfloor.ini to recognize I'm behind NAT (FAILED)
* Deleting killingfloor.ini (FAILED)
* Deleting ClientRegistry.blob file in Steam's main folder (FAILED)
* Checking for Steam Client updates (updated, FAILED)
* Deleting and Re-downloading steam (FAILED)

Also unrelated question. When I first got Killing Floor, Steam automatically downloaded a mod with it but when I went and re-installed the game the mod did not come back. Where do I go to redownload it?

I'm in the same boat. I've tried every last one of these fixes and have double and triple checked them. I am sometimes able to join other friends games and sometimes I'm not. Please help.

Upvote 0
Long Time KF player

Long Time KF player

Ok. So instead of creating my own thread about the same issue and being flamed by people, I decided to just post here. I am having the same issues as the people above me. I've been playing KF fine for around 2 years now, and all of a sudden I'm getting the master query error. I can't even join my friends games. I tried everything that has been said by the previous posters. This is a serious problem. Steam or TWI should fix this since I paid money for this. I've reinstalled the game 3 times by now deleting the registry, opened up ports (I checked them all they work), deleted registry file and the ini file, tried putting those master server files in the config. But nothing works. I know I will probably be ignored anyway, but I wanted to give this a chance before quitting this game.

Upvote 0
Woopsie.

Woopsie.

My problem had been going on since the patch yesterday, but luckily i figured it out. It turns out that for some reason after the patch my exclusions list on ESET was messed up. So after putting KF on the whitelist again, my master query connection worked. Sorry for the fuss. I guess I should learn more about my AV :)

Upvote 0
Mine worked fine a couple hours ago and now NO servers come up and it queries master sever. I have tried the solutions suggested here like most others, but seeing as it JUST stopped working and nothing has changed on my computer, it is a new new problem. Fix soon please, whether it need be through corporation with Steam or from your own side.

Upvote 0
Edit: The information in this post was out of date so has been deleted.

This issue has cropped up again recently. At the moment it looks like there may be problems on Steam's end. You may be able to find servers by using the Steam server browser instead of the in-game one - to do this right-click on the Steam tray icon and click Servers, and in the Servers tab make sure that you filter by Killing Floor and click Refresh. This should bring back a server list. If it doesn't then you can almost be sure that Steam is having more fundamental issues.

Also, Steam may have wiped the master server file for some people. Try hosting a listen server from the main menu, start playing and then disconnect, and then try finding servers again. Apparently this causes the file to be created.
i have tried all the things for the master serever issue and nothing has seemed to help this game is great but i cant play it

Upvote 0